Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2019 General Thread

Options
  • 29-07-2019 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Get this in before anyone starts to go Grand Tour Cold Turkey

ae797
    Taking place between August 24 and September 15, the 74th edition will set off from Salinas de Torrevieja and finish in Madrid after 3,272.2km of racing.

The race will include eight uphill finishes, five of which are new to the Vuelta.

Route looks interesting with the longest stage at 196km and a lumpy looking route with some interesting stages on stage 5 which finishes just below 2000m & stage 9 which at 96km has 5 categorized climbs and finishes over 2000m and if you didnt get enough Pau in the TDF there's a 36km ITT on stage 10 finishing there.

Race kicks off on the Costa Blanca with an 18km team trial (and who doesnt love a team trial) and finishes as usual in Madrid

Stage 5
    029e5-920x576.jpeg

Stage 9
    24595-920x829.jpeg

Usual WT teams plus 4 pro conti teams. Cofidis, Caja Rural (how many times will Sean Kelly butcher that one), Burgos & Euskaidi Basque. Hopefully we,ll see some more Irish participation. Movistar & Bora listings look interesting
    Provisional start list

Lotto-Soudal
    DE GENDT Thomas
    CAMPENAERTS Victor
    WALLAYS Jelle

Movistar Team
    QUINTANA Nairo
    VALVERDE Alejandro
    CARAPAZ Richard
    ANACONA Winner

Team Jumbo-Visma
    ROGLIČ Primož
    GESINK Robert

Ag2r La Mondiale
    GENIEZ Alexandre
    LATOUR Pierre

Astana Pro Team
    LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel
    IZAGIRRE Gorka
    IZAGIRRE Ion

Bahrain-Merida

Bora-Hansgrohe
    MAJKA Rafał
    FORMOLO Davide
    BENNETT Sam
    SAGAN Peter
    BODNAR Maciej

CCC Team

Deceuninck-Quick-Step
    GILBERT Philippe
    SERRY Pieter
    ŠTYBAR Zdeněk

Groupama-FDJ

Mitchelton-Scott
    YATES Simon
    CHAVES Esteban
    HOWSON Damien
    NIEVE Mikel
    BEWLEY Sam

Team Dimension Data
    KING Ben

EF Education First

Team Katusha-Alpecin

Team Ineos

Team Sunweb

Trek-Segafredo
    KIRSCH Alex
    PEDERSEN Mads
    DEGENKOLB John
    THEUNS Edward

UAE Team Emirates
    POGAČAR Tadej
    FERRARI Roberto
    RAVASI Edward
    GAVIRIA Fernando
    SUTHERLAND Rory
    ARU Fabio

Cofidis, Solutions Crédits
    EDET Nicolas
    HERRADA Jesús
    MATÉ Luis Ángel
    HANSEN Jesper
    ATAPUMA Darwin
    TOUZE Damien
    HERRADA José
    LE TURNIER Mathias

Euskadi Basque Country-Murias
    INTXAUSTI Beñat

Burgos-BH

Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
    Past winners

2008 Alberto Contador (Spa) Astana
    2009 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne
    2010 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas–Doimo
    2011 Juan José Cobo (Spa) Geox–TMC
    2012 Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo Bank–Tinkoff Bank
    2013 Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack–Leopard
    2014 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff–Saxo
    2015 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana
    2016 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
    2017 Chris Froome (GBR) Team Sky
    2018 Simon Yates (GBR) Mitchelton–Scott

And with stage 2 starting in Benidorm these lads will be there in prime position to cheer on team Ineos
    hqdefault.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

Ahh they do though don’t they though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Would love to see Eddie selected by ineos

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

neris wrote: »
    Caja Rural (how many times will Sean Kelly butcher that one)
    Whatever way Sean Kelly says it is correct and the Spanish speakers should adjust their pronunciation accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Stage 16 finishes in La Cubilla. Beutiful climb - one of my favourite in Asturias and first time that will.be used in La Vuelta. Hopefully stays dry and sunny in the day and riders have a good go at it.

cropped-web-23-DSC_6700-2000x1199.jpg

Bennett and Sagan for Bora?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Galego wrote: »
    Stage 16 finishes in La Cubilla. Beutiful climb - one of my favourite in Asturias and first time that will.be used in La Vuelta. Hopefully stays dry and sunny in the day and riders have a good go at it.

cropped-web-23-DSC_6700-2000x1199.jpg

I'm heading over for a week with a few club mates for it. There's 3 stages in the vicinity of Oviedo but this is the big one as far as I am concerned.
    It's a cracking climb. Gonna try and get a nice spot up on the last hairpins, should be able to see the race coming for miles.

Can.
    Not.
    Wait.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Did anyone listen to Johan Bruyneel's podcasts during the tour? Have to say, his dubious past notwithstanding, they were really excellent. He's doing one for the Vuelta too.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm heading over for a week with a few club mates for it. There's 3 stages in the vicinity of Oviedo but this is the big one as far as I am concerned.
    It's a cracking climb. Gonna try and get a nice spot up on the last hairpins, should be able to see the race coming for miles.

Can.
    Not.
    Wait.
    :D

I am climbing this one myself in a week's time and descending it from the other side. Doing Jitu the day before and Piedrafita/Gobernadas/Fonte da Cova at the wkd. Busy week :-)

Enjoy Asturies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm not sure about your 2011 winner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Galego wrote: »
    I am climbing this one myself in a week's time and descending it from the other side.

Are you doing it on a Gravel bike? :D
    Actually, reading the spanish blogs and forums, you might need it for the climb as well. Seems like the road is in a right mess at the moment and the repair crews are under serious pressure to get it resurfaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wonder why the feel the need to go into France? Didn't the race go to Nimes either last year or the year before?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Are you doing it on a Gravel bike? :D
    Actually, reading the spanish blogs and forums, you might need it for the climb as well. Seems like the road is in a right mess at the moment and the repair crews are under serious pressure to get it resurfaced.

Nah I am doing it on a road bike. Done it before and no issues to do it this time of the year. La Cubilla road is grand. Some friends of mine did the sportive they run only a month ago and no bother. Way worse roads in Spain than La Cubilla and they are not a cul-de-sac.

This time of the year you can also ride Trobaniello in a road bike. Many people are calling for La Vuelta to use this climb but not sure if it'd ever happen! Amazing climb! Another of my favourite ones.

https://www.39x28altimetrias.com/trobaniello.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Vuelta 2019 Rules & Regulations (in English):
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VwkJRPjkvuYSEpfoCivxcL0kN5o7eHdd?usp=sharing

Vuelta 2019 Road Book (in Spanish):
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VwkJRPjkvuYSEpfoCivxcL0kN5o7eHdd?usp=sharing
    I'm sure it'll be available in English shortly...

Links stolen from velorooms.com.

Provisional/incomplete startlist https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/vuelta-a-espana/2019/gc/startlist

Roglic isn't riding it. Dumoulin is more than likely out for the rest of the year.

Ineos likely backing Thomas.

MS are hardly riding for Simon Yates are they, surely it'll be Chavez or stage wins for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'd say that Movistar will have a winner in their team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Provisional/incomplete startlist https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/vuelta-a-espana/2019/gc/startlist

Roglic isn't riding it. Dumoulin is more than likely out for the rest of the year.

Ineos likely backing Thomas.

MS are hardly riding for Simon Yates are they, surely it'll be Chavez or stage wins for them.

As of 5-6 days ago, Roglic is going to the Vuelta as team leader...

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1159191497901842434?s=19

Thomas now isn't racing la Vuelta and going to the German tour instead.

Pozzovivo suffered some serious injuries after being hit by a car while training http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pozzovivo-theyve-ended-my-career/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dan Martin not riding the Vuelta ?? Strange as he needs a result this year

Sam Bennett should win a few stages

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Dan Martin not riding the Vuelta ?? Strange as he needs a result this year

Sam Bennett should win a few stages

Dan's down to do the Deutschland Tour which clashes with la Vuleta, maybe didn't want to do the 3 week tour in the run up to the worlds?

Nicolas Roche is included in the Vuelta Sunweb line up and up for giving it a good lash ...always better on his 2nd GT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Nicolas Roche is included in the Vuelta Sunweb line up and up for giving it a good lash ...always better on his 2nd GT

NIcolas Roche and GTs are like me and cups of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Super strong team for Jumbo-Visma: George Bennett (NZ), Robert Gesink (Ned), Lennard Hofstede (Ned), Steven Kruijswijk (Ned), Sep Kuss (USA), Tony Martin (Ger), Neilson Powless (USA) and Primoz Roglic (Slo).

Roglic is the leader. He has never ridden the Vuelta before so I wouldn't be too shocked if he didn't perform that well.

Mas not riding for DQS here this year after a fine 2nd place last year.

Ineos line up not complete yet and Eddie has nothing lined up according to procyclingstats.

Likely this will go down to to MS and Movistar. I'd love to see Carapaz do it over Quintana.

Highly unlikely Dunbar will ride two Grand Tours with this years Giro being his first.

Highly unlikely Dunbar will ride two Grand Tours with this years Giro being his first.

Yeah had that in my mind likely ride the later Itallian classics in support of Moscon again.

Lotto Visma v Movistar ....that is the Vuelta in a nut shell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    NIcolas Roche and GTs are like me and cups of coffee

Go on...

All going well Bennett will win two to three sprint stages & Roche usually performs well at the Vuelta, so a stage win is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

happytramp wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to Johan Bruyneel's podcasts during the tour? Have to say, his dubious past notwithstanding, they were really excellent. He's doing one for the Vuelta too.

Yeah I did and they were excellent but I had to turn off when he started bigging up Valverde, tended not to listen to them much after that.

Advertisement