Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecto's Walrus Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

MollyB another stormer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

The Killers are a band that everytime I hear one of their songs I think, "oh I quite like that" but then I go back to listening to my usual stuff. Which is part of the reason I wanted to play this game and get me listening - properly - to stuff that's not in my regular rotation.

This was submitted by
    Barney92
    and reminds him of playing board games with his sister in his parents' house. :). At number 9 it scores him 12 points too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    I had totally forgotten about this band. I was never their biggest fan but I did enjoy some of their stuff and this was one song I recall as a friend of mine was a massive fan at the time.

The fond memories attached to this song belong to
    Green&Red
    and in 11th place scores him 10 points.

Love that song, one of my all-time favourites. Sometimes you just hear a song and you're immediately hooked and want to hear more by the band/artist, and that song did it to me. Great band live too. I was in the States last year and I was really surprised when I saw their name above a venue I passed. Turns out they were touring for the 20th anniversary of the album it's from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Killers - Smile Like You Mean It is another in my fave songs list :)

This next song is interesting. The person who submitted it described 2Pac as "the person who pretty much provided the soundtrack to my teens" and also connected this song with their brother. Which is a strange coincidence as the 2Pac fan in my house was my younger brother. I liked listening to his stuff but was on more of a metal/hard rock trip at the time. So while I know the song, it is connected more to my little bro than anything else.

This one is in 8th and so
    Deleted User
    gets 13 points.

• Advertisement

Further musical blasphemy here. In the same way as I've never been the biggest Elvis fan, The Beatles have always been a bit of a meh band for me. They were played in my house, I know the words to a load of their songs but I never wanted to sit down and listen to their albums all the way through. There are a couple of songs that I have always loved though, and this one is one of them.

sKeith
    grabs 7th place and 14 points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not a mad fan of The Beatles either, but that's one massive tune!

Top ten!!! Very happy with that. Thanks Ecto! Yeah my older brother was the one who broke it to me when Tupac died. I thought he was just dicking around trying to upset me, as brothers do. I was completely heartbroken when I saw it was true.

This next song is by an artist that I still recall discovering. I've older brothers who were very into their music and with different tastes so I grew up listening to a lot of different stuff, stuff I still love. This guy however I discovered all by myself. As some of you may or may not know, I'm a huge poetry nerd. I love it. For me this guy is a true poet and while it might not be my favourite song by him, he can do very little wrong imo.

6th place and 15 points go to
    Quickbeam

When I first listened to this next song, I kept wondering when is it going to start? I get very involved in lyrics so instrumentals need to have something for me to like them. This one does. It quickly became something I could see myself listening to while chilling in the back garden with a cold drink and some good mates just enjoying the company.

Rikand
    with a surprising entry in 5th place, scores 16 points.

• Advertisement

Calm yourself now Necro. Still a few places to go...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That is not what I expected when I saw Leonard Cohen’s name come up! Very upbeat!

Never heard Luke Vibert before, liking the LemonJelly-esque vibe :)

If number 5 was a surprise, this one was a shock. I saw the name of the artist and honestly thought it would end up at the bottom of the pile. I listened to these first time while driving in the car so I'd no clue what I was listening to. What appealed to me was the simplicity of the sentiment and it sounds like the memories attached to it are good ones :)

The big romantic among us is
    Necro
    in 4th place getting 17 points for his submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really glad you liked the song. I've been following along in stealth mode while I have a late dinner after a late night in work.

Top5, really chuffed with that :)

Top 3! Already!
    Baggly, ElecricNitwit and MicksJaguar
    are the ones duking it out for top spot.

Who is your money on?

EN, two nites running!!

A brief interlude now for our mystery entrant.

The question is, is it the person who submitted who is really the fan? ;)

I think I've guessed our mystery entrant

I'm actually wondering did I submit the song I thought I did :D

I must have broke Ectos heart with re entries prior to deadline so apologies about that :o

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    EN, two nites running!!

I know, I’m giddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hi Necro

So this is it. Top 3.

In third place is another sentimental submission. I loved reading the story behind this song and I loved the song a bit more than that. I'll leave it up to the person who submitted to share it with you, but another pleasant surprise for me with this one.

Well done to
    ElectricNitwit
    who has scored highly in a second category, getting 18 points for tonight's entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Green&Red wrote: »
    I think I've guessed our mystery entrant

Spill

Third again :)

Simple one for me. This was my wife's entrance music for our wedding ceremony. It was the single most perfect moment of my life.

LOL I thought I'd be rock bottom...

That was my first dance song at my wedding... didn't really have a choice in entering.

Chuffed with that ;)

Though... damn you Baggly

Third again :)

Simple one for me. This was my wife's entrance music for our wedding ceremony. It was the single most perfect moment of my life.

I'm not crying, you're crying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I genuinely love my song, so I'm delighted it has done well in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    The next three songs have moved about so often that they might as well be trying to rent somewhere in Dublin. I like them all and this one is no exception. I like the band without being their biggest fan. I loved the story attached to it too.
    Mollyb60
    starts off the top 10 and scores 11 points.

So my story attached to this song for anyone interested. Get your puke buckets ready folks!!!

Mushy time now. This reminds me of an entire weekend I spent in Belfast with my now husband. We had been seeing each other for about a year and he was in college in Belfast and I was working in Dublin so we would travel up and down to each other on the weekends. It was really tough but we did it for 5 years before I moved up here. This was just a gorgeous weekend at the start of the summer, the weather was perfect, we did all the mushy ****e couples do, walked in the park together, had a nice dinner, talked crap. Went back and listened to music in his house in the evening with a few drinks and it just so happened that while this song was on that we first said the L word to each other. We both really like AF anyway so this was a no brainer song for me.

Arcade Fire have a lot of good memories for me actually. A friend from college recommended Funeral to me in the summer after I finished college and I listened to the album on my walk to work every morning for about a month. Loved them instantly.
    I also first saw these guys at EP in 2005 with a load of boardies from the Oxegen forum who all decided to go to the festival on a whim at the last second. It was one of the craziest weekends of my life and their set was ****ing mental. I'd never experienced anything like them before. So many people on the stage!!

Glad you liked it Ecto. :)

• Advertisement

Sentiment of a totally different kind now for our second place entry. I hadn't heard it in quite a while before it was submitted as an entry. This is pure, unashamed nostalgia. The song is fun and clever and takes me right back to a very specific moment in time - more importantly I think it does it even for people who weren't there. So, while it might not win too many awards, it came very very close to winning top spot.

Deleted User
    is just pipped at the post but takes second place having put a massive grin on my face every time I've heard it over the last few days.

Advertisement