Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I proceed with Drogheda?

Options
  • 29-07-2019 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am having second thoughts on buying a house up in Liscorrie, Drogheda, 260K 3 Bed Semi-detached. A3 rating. I already put 5k down on it, What I like about the place is the location:

*The house is perfectly located at a corner therefore we don't have a neighbour on our left side.
    *Close to m1 motorway
    *Close to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital (my wife is a nurse)
    *When I drove up there I was happy that the entrance is close to the shop, a petrol station close to the entry.

compared it to the houses we viewed were we drove past grass and fields until we reached the estate.

My only concern is that:

*Location to work is an issue 1hr commute. Currently we work in Dun Laoghaire at the moment wife is on a 2 year contract.
    *Liscorrie is quite near Moneymore where the petrol bomb was. I asked around the forum and Liscorrie is quite far from all troubles.
    * I researched and in the estate Tuath social housing located right in Liscorrie - But everything seems quite when we went up, kids playing and people from forum said its a quite area, I googled no crime.

But with all these going on in my mind I am thinking about the future my kids are they gonna be safe, Job we can always get job nearer.

Places I consider Kildare (Monasteverin quite far from aminities), Gorey(Are there big hospitals nearby), Wicklow, but the location up in Liscorrie have more advantages.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Drogheda to dun laoighre can be 2 hours of a commute at certain times of the day especially in winter.

Social housing generally doesn't rear the 'problems' till the kids are teens, so its still a dice roll.

With the new m11 eniscorthy to gorey section and the better location for your needs, id be inclined to go there rather than drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I wouldn’t even consider a commute like that.

During the summer I can do the commute to the red cow from just north of Drogheda in about 1h10 ..but as soon as the schools are back you’d be looking at the gut of 2 hours and what ever it take to get to DunLaoghaire on top of that.

I’m working from home 4 days a week so doesn’t bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

It'll be a one hour commute if you start work at 6am, finish at 9pm and are breaking the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I’ve a similar question. Found a house we love near Drogheda but we both work in Dublin (city centre) and are worried about the commute. We did a trial run of the drive yesterday morning and it took about 50 minutes. Traffic was heavy but was moving. We will generally be on the road by 6.30 most mornings so I presume the school traffic shouldn’t have an impact on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

I’ve a similar question. Found a house we love near Drogheda but we both work in Dublin (city centre) and are worried about the commute. We did a trial run of the drive yesterday morning and it took about 50 minutes. Traffic was heavy but was moving. We will generally be on the road by 6.30 most mornings so I presume the school traffic shouldn’t have an impact on it?

School traffic will have a big impact.
    I used to commute to Dublin and what used to take me just over an hour during the summer turned into 2 and half hours when the schools were back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    School traffic will have a big impact.
    I used to commute to Dublin and what used to take me just over an hour during the summer turned into 2 and half hours when the schools were back.

Thanks, even at that time of the morning? We were hitting Drumcondra around 7am yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Checkout Naas, lots of nice priced houses, also sallins to heuston station is 16 minutes, the train also goes under pheonix park to connolly, you could switch over for dun laorighe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You can set a date and time in Google maps to see how long the winter commute takes.

Wouldnt touch that commute with a barge pole especially in a job like nursing where you can't work from home in inclement weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Drogheda to Dun Laoghaire would be madness IMO. I used to commute (very briefly) from just outside Drogheda (Dunleer) to Ashtown which is close to Blanch and it used to take me 50 mins at 10am and could take 1hr-1hr 10 to get home at 6pm. Dun Laoghaire would be a nightmare. The area is not bad and despite the current fued Drogheda is a nice town with nice areas nearby such as Clogherhead, Termonfeckin, Oldbridge etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Drogheda - Dun Laoghaire is a mental commute (if 9-5) long term but manageable for a few months or a year if you were to think of changing jobs. It's dead handy on the train but Liscorrie is the wrong side for that.

Most people who live on the Dublin road side of the town would be commuters to Dublin, it's a lot more manageable and well connected. Grange Rath is 25 minutes to Dublin airport for example, you'd be doing well to get to the airport in that time from some south city locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Thanks, even at that time of the morning? We were hitting Drumcondra around 7am yesterday.

Maybe at that hour it might be quieter - I used to aim to be in before 8 and leave at 4 but even if you get in early the traffic at home time is desperate. My office was near Clonskeagh so had to go M50.
    Used to take an hour alone to get from there to the Red Cow, Fridays were the worst.

Look its doable but it gets a bit soul destroying if you are stuck with it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

you can't compare summer times with the rest of the year.

When I have to be in the office for 8/9am I will leave the Drogheda area for about half six at the latest and that can get me to the RedCow for anything between half seven to half eight … you just can't predict.

It is horrendous .. I did the commute for about 3 years until I managed to set up the home / remote working.

My wife needs to get to city west once a week but fortunately she doesn't need to be there until about half ten so leaves after nine and it takes about 1h to 1h15 mins

and then there is the nightmare of the M50 northbound in the evening .. coming from south Dublin you will be a mess inside a couple of weeks

Before I bought out here I rented for about 6 months to get a feel for the area .. I loved it and was willing to suffer the commute as I was going to look for work locally but ended up not having to worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Is the house in an estate with kids ?
    If so visit it around 9pm at night and see if your corner is a hang out spot
    I bought the house before my current on a corner as it gave me the ability to extend but it was haunted with kids hanging out there till all hours , I had to replace a bathroom window about 8 times over 11 years smashed/cracked with an errant sliothar/ball .

I also had a bike and a lawnmower taken by our friends who do not like Peter Casey as the corner gave access to the back garden that you would not have mid terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having second thoughts on buying a house up in Liscorrie, Drogheda, 260K 3 Bed Semi-detached. A3 rating. I already put 5k down on it, What I like about the place is the location:

*The house is perfectly located at a corner therefore we don't have a neighbour on our left side.
    *Close to m1 motorway
    *Close to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital (my wife is a nurse)
    *When I drove up there I was happy that the entrance is close to the shop, a petrol station close to the entry.

compared it to the houses we viewed were we drove past grass and fields until we reached the estate.

My only concern is that:

*Location to work is an issue 1hr commute. Currently we work in Dun Laoghaire at the moment wife is on a 2 year contract.
    *Liscorrie is quite near Moneymore where the petrol bomb was. I asked around the forum and Liscorrie is quite far from all troubles.
    * I researched and in the estate Tuath social housing located right in Liscorrie - But everything seems quite when we went up, kids playing and people from forum said its a quite area, I googled no crime.

But with all these going on in my mind I am thinking about the future my kids are they gonna be safe, Job we can always get job nearer.

Places I consider Kildare (Monasteverin quite far from aminities), Gorey(Are there big hospitals nearby), Wicklow, but the location up in Liscorrie have more advantages.

What do you think?

Liscorrie is slap bang in the middle of the cement road (old Maguire halting site and permanent "settled" Traveller site, and Moneymore).

It's a ****e hole of an area, and for 260k for a 3 bed semi youd be mad.

Quick search on daft.ie and plenty of properties in much nicer areas available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why would you not go to Bettystow or Lawtown http://duneimear.ie/ A rated and around your price, however its a mad commute even if you went M1 M50.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Liscorrie is slap bang in the middle of the cement road (old Maguire halting site and permanent "settled" Traveller site, and Moneymore).

It's a ****e hole of an area, and for 260k for a 3 bed semi youd be mad.

Quick search on daft.ie and plenty of properties in much nicer areas available.

Liscorrie is not on the cement road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The estate agent no doubt arranged for the viewing at 12pm so you'd see how smooth the commute was... that wasn't the commute.
    Driving through the city or around the M50 during rush hour will be a soul-destroying experience and that's on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Liscorrie is not on the cement road ?

He meant in the middle of the three places..

tedpan wrote: »
    He meant in the middle of the three places..

By that logic the whole town is between Rathmullan, cement road and Moneymore.

By that logic the whole town is between Rathmullan, cement road and Moneymore.

That's not logical at all. Liscorrie is seperated from moneymore by DIFE, and cement rd by the north Rd. It's slap bang in the middle of the two and all within a stones throw (which also happens to be a local hobby)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I am really confused now, I already paid 5k secured deposit, I found another place up in viewmount rathdrum which more of a country side feel. But i do not know about it in terms of school and shops how convenient it is.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why would you not go to Bettystow or Lawtown http://duneimear.ie/ A rated and around your price, however its a mad commute even if you went M1 M50.

Dun eimear have increased their prices and the next phase will be available next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I am really confused now, I already paid 5k secured deposit, I found another place up in viewmount rathdrum which more of a country side feel. But i do not know about it in terms of school and shops how convenient it is.

A friend live in liscorrie for 2 years. Between the commute amd the constant anti social behaviour he gave up, take into consideration that hes from north inner city dublin and well used to nonsense but couldnt put up with the attempted break ins by the 'joycers', the gangs of teens running amok and all the young 'wans' with 5 kids letting them loose til all hours.

italodisco wrote: »

A friend live in liscorrie for 2 years. Between the commute amd the constant anti social behaviour he gave up, take into consideration that hes from north inner city dublin and well used to nonsense but couldnt put up with the attempted break ins by the 'joycers', the gangs of teens running amok and all the young 'wans' with 5 kids letting them loose til all hours.

Ive just found out there is a social housing estate in it none of the agent have said it to me. I feel worried now reading it I was really excited at first but after finding out it is near moneymore with all the trouble just today in today an arson attack near Liscorrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, I feel for you. The house is affordable but you want a Dublin salary and career-and of course, the better jobs seem to be southside. Personally I couldn't hack the commute. Many people can, and some people do it for a few years in the hope that something "closer" comes up that doesn't come with a massive paycut.

So if it was you guys rathdrum or liscorrie? What I really want now is a safe place to live.

Liscorrie for me, but at that I would still be looking at areas like Bettystown / Laytown over that.

Also I would ask locals / people who have already moved in how they are finding it, I have been in the houses and they are a very good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

italodisco wrote: »

OP I wouldn't be taking nonsense like this into consideration. Know people who have lived there all their lives and have not much complaints. None more so than any other estates across the town anyway.

And this nonsense about it being in the middle of the fued? Some of the biggest players in the fued live in Ashfield across the way, some live across by St.Oliver's school. It's a pile of nonsense. Nobody lives on the cement road (in regards to targets) anymore, and how many of these attacks have actually been based here? People have been targeted in estates across the town, that does not mean they are all "slap bang in the middle of the fued".

You're best way would be to even drive down and ask someone who's there what the estate is like IMO. The commute will be all the same regardless of where you live in Drogheda by the way, and having done Citywest for a year, I would not say it is sustainable. Time can be managed if you have flexible working hours, but even from a costing point (tolls, fuel etc), it's a good long commute.

Also don't get dragged into the usual crap of worrying about social housing going up. Firstly, it's a law for most new builds these days that a certain amount are handed over for social housing, and secondly the stereotype of a shameless family moving in next door is bonkers. Unless you buy a detached house in the middle of nowhere you're going to be surrounded by some arseholes!

• Advertisement

wardides wrote: »
    OP I wouldn't be taking nonsense like this into consideration. Know people who have lived there all their lives and have not much complaints. None more so than any other estates across the town anyway.

And this nonsense about it being in the middle of the fued? Some of the biggest players in the fued live in Ashfield across the way, some live across by St.Oliver's school. It's a pile of nonsense. Nobody lives on the cement road (in regards to targets) anymore, and how many of these attacks have actually been based here? People have been targeted in estates across the town, that does not mean they are all "slap bang in the middle of the fued".

You're best way would be to even drive down and ask someone who's there what the estate is like IMO. The commute will be all the same regardless of where you live in Drogheda by the way, and having done Citywest for a year, I would not say it is sustainable. Time can be managed if you have flexible working hours, but even from a costing point (tolls, fuel etc), it's a good long commute.

Also don't get dragged into the usual crap of worrying about social housing going up. Firstly, it's a law for most new builds these days that a certain amount are handed over for social housing, and secondly the stereotype of a shameless family moving in next door is bonkers. Unless you buy a detached house in the middle of nowhere you're going to be surrounded by some arseholes!

No one said it's in the middle of the fued as the media calls it, it's in between moneymore which has consistently been the biggest ****show in the country, and a halting site. Presuming they have kids who would probably walk to Joe's or Greenhills the wife's nursing skills will come in handy.

And commute varies hugely depending where you live.

Advertisement