Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Liability Insurance?

• 29-07-2019 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hoping somebody here can help - I'm looking for someone who provides personal indemnity insurance. It's for a qualified registered nurse who will be working with patients on mobility and exercise (so not technically nursing work) and has completed a specialized course. Any pointers on where to start would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What your friend is looking for is professional indemnity insurance. Tell him/her to talk to a broker.

Personal Indemnity Insurance covers a private citizen against civil claims, like if you were walking down the street looking at your phone and knocked someone down. It's included in most household policies but does not cover liability arising out of providing any kind of professional services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

RB_Cork wrote: »
    Hoping somebody here can help - I'm looking for someone who provides personal indemnity insurance. It's for a qualified registered nurse who will be working with patients on mobility and exercise (so not technically nursing work) and has completed a specialized course. Any pointers on where to start would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Noting what coylemj mentioned above I would also add:

Depends on who is employing them or if they are self employed. This is covered extensively in NMBI documentation for maintaining professional registration with the governing authority. If said nurse is a member of the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation* (INMO) there is a chance they are already covered on their group scheme so long as they practice elusively in their insured zone and I would be contacting them for details of same. Speaking to the expanded practice - this course would need to be recognised by NBMI with associated CEUs (or NBMI Cat 1 / Cat 2 approval) and registration for legal, professional registration and insurance related purposes.

*Other nursing unions also provide this cover. The nurse in question should contact them to find out.

Advertisement