Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway mosque attack (vandalism)

• 29-07-2019 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

There was an attack of serious vandalism to a mosque in Galway city yesterday. Is this a case of extremism fermented by certain homegrown right wing elements just like the attacks on the proposed(or existing) asylum centres in other areas?

https://www.thejournal.ie/galway-mosque-attack-2-4744329-Jul2019/
    GARDAÍ HAVE BEGUN an investigation, after people arriving for morning prayers at a mosque in Galway found “a considerable amount of criminal damage” caused in the premises.

Windows and locks were broken, and furniture was damaged in the attack overnight at the Ahmadiyya Muslim mosque to the east of Galway city, with the building being accessed by those responsible.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

Wouldn't be too quick to judge. Mainstream Islam are no fans of the Ahmadiyya Muslims.

There was an Ahmadiyya mosque in the UK that was torched and if I recall it was suspected Sunni types. Also threatening letters too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47654430

Ahmadiyya and Sufi Muslims are some of the more peaceful branches of Islam and are looked down upon by Sunnis in particular.

NKante wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too quick to judge. Mainstream Islam are no fans of the Ahmadiyya Muslims.

There was an Ahmadiyya mosque in the UK that was torched and if I recall it was suspected Sunni types. Also threatening letters too

Ahmadiyya and Sufi Muslims are some of the more peaceful branches of Islam and are looked down upon by Sunnis in particular.

Yeah, because the obvious explanation for this attack in the small Irish city of Galway is internecine Muslim conflict.

Yeah, because the obvious explanation for this attack in the small Irish city of Galway is internecine Muslim conflict.

Just playing Devil's advocate mate. Always keep an open mind.

I agree it's more likely to be hoodlums, but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

klaaaz wrote: »
    There was an attack of serious vandalism to a mosque in Galway city yesterday. Is this a case of extremism fermented by certain homegrown right wing elements just like the attacks on the proposed(or existing) asylum centres in other areas?

https://www.thejournal.ie/galway-mosque-attack-2-4744329-Jul2019/

This is Galway we are taking about ffs. Please tell me of the right wing groups in Ireland lol. You watch way too much American Tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    This is Galway we are taking about ffs. Please tell me of the right wing groups in Ireland lol. You watch way too much American Tv.

We have had the incidents of direction provision centers being set on fire. So yep, there is an extreme element in Ireland that is anti migrant. Just have to look at the audiences for Gran Torino and Gemma O'Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Why do you have a problem with Galway?

In case you have been either living outside Ireland or living from cave to cave on your world travels, there has been a few right wing groups springing up opposing anything Muslim related in this country, they also hate other minorities. Violent attacks have occurred on proposed asylum centres. A certain prominent youtuber was banned from that platform for incitement to hate and we have the Catholic homegrown extremists in the form of the National Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

We already have internecine conflict between Muslim groups, do a bit of research on Longford town. There was a lot of trouble there between different Muslim sects, so much so that Garda mediators had to be brought in.

The Ahmadiyya are absolutely despised by Sunni and Shia Muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Like the ones fire bombing Rooskey and Mohill

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We already have internecine conflict between Muslim groups, do a bit of research on Longford town. There was a lot of trouble there between different Muslim sects, so much so that Garda mediators had to be brought in.

The Ahmadiyya are absolutely despised by Sunni and Shia Muslims.

Sure what else is there to do in Longford except start a row?

Yep. This is the consequences of the far right extreme rhetoric from Gemma O'Doherty, Rowan Croft and Justin Barrett.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

There’s been a few churches vandalised recently too. Someone’s on a religious hate streak.

Like the ones fire bombing Rooskey and Mohill

If you have any evidence regarding the incidents in Rooskey and Mohill I suggest you go to the Guards. Otherwise all you are doing is speculating..or pushing fake news.

Yep. This is the consequences of the far right extreme rhetoric from Gemma O'Doherty, Rowan Croft and Justin Barrett.

Total speculation and unfounded bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

batgoat wrote: »
    We have had the incidents of direction provision centers being set on fire. So yep, there is an extreme element in Ireland that is anti migrant. Just have to look at the audiences for Gran Torino and Gemma O'Doherty.

Just as well we have you to keep reminding us, how racist and all the other ists and phobes we are as a nation to get keep us on our toes and for you to get your virtue fix.

Bad, bad Ireland. When in reality the scum who vandalised this building wouldn't have thought twice about it being a mosque, they just wanted to vandalise. Unless off course this was and inside for publicity which seems to happen from time to time.

mad muffin wrote: »
    There’s been a few churches vandalised recently too. Someone’s on a religious hate streak.

Atheist extremist scum. Sam Harris probably radicalised them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It was a simple burglary which some are crying hate crime talking about sensational headline

Just as well we have you to keep reminding us, how racist and all the other ists and phobes we are as a nation to get keep us on our toes and for you to get your virtue fix.

Bad, bad Ireland. When in reality the scum who vandalised this building wouldn't have thought twice about it being a mosque, they just wanted to vandalise. Unless off course this was and inside for publicity which seems to happen from time to time.

I view it as a pretty tiny minority but very vocal lot tbh. But it seems more like you want to get outraged at me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Poster is obsessed with labelling anyone they disagree with as "conservative" or "far right" or "religious" or a mix of same. Even people who have stated they voted for SSM have been called it. People who have called out poor Traveller behaviour have been labelled it too despite the fact that it's not a right v left thing in the slightest.

If you have any evidence regarding the incidents in Rooskey and Mohill I suggest you go to the Guards. Otherwise all you are doing is speculating..or pushing fake news.

It was the Amish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

There you go biggest hypocrites in the world. You tell us not to tar all immigrants with the same brush but yet you tar anyone with anti immigration views with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

NKante wrote: »

And if its not other muslims its the jews because Israel.

:rolleyes:

Stephen15 wrote: »
    There you go biggest hypocrites in the world. You tell us not to tar all immigrants with the same brush but yet you tar anyone with anti immigration views with the same brush.

You've got pretty established weird views on race... The people mentioned in quoted posts are all extreme. One targeted children. Another attended Neo Nazi rallies while Torino seemed to admire those setting mosques on fire.. So all pretty awful people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Given the level of hatred against the Ahmadiyya in Islamic circles including in Ireland, the mosque should have been viewed a high risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

mad muffin wrote: »

Don't look at me

Don't look at me

Ha, ha.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love the way some people are getting upset at people jumping to conclusions when the same people would be quick to blame Muslims for everything else without any evidence.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I love the way some people are getting upset at people jumping to conclusions when the same people would be quick to blame Muslims for everything else without any evidence.

Good for you. Glad it makes you feel better.

Stephen15 wrote: »

No not at all. I am saying that the far right rhetoric of the 3 people I mentioned radicalises some people into violent acts like this.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

My mate had a muslim first name. He changed it to a western first name because he was attacked.

He is the loveliest guy you could meet. He visited me in hospital after i had a seizure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

batgoat wrote: »

I was of the understanding that only proposed DP centres were subjected to arson?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭Ecce No Homo

My mate had a muslim first name. He changed it to a western first name because he was attacked.

He is the loveliest guy you could meet. He visited me in hospital after i had a seizure.

Maybe another Muslim from a different sect forced him to visit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

i'd put my money on the little ****s that are breaking windows on house and business in the area, they have vandalised a building within a 1/2 mile from the mosque also they love to be throwing stones at passing cars, older lads now into breaking into house.

So sorry lads they aren't some crazy racist group they are just a shower of little Pr@@ks from our minority group that are causing a lot of trouble in the area for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

He was attack based on his name and he changed his name lol. Fcuk me I heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

A car mounts a footpath and mows people down - people on the right “Muslim extremists” people on the left “we shouldn’t jump to conclusions”

A mosque is vandalised - people on the left “far-right extremists” people on the right “we shouldn’t jump to conclusions”

2 cheeks of the same arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You'll all be feeling silly when it's found to be the travellers. Or the gays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You'll all be feeling silly when it's found to be the travellers. Or the gays.

Or gay travellers.

A car mounts a footpath and mows people down - people on the right “Muslim extremists†people on the left “we shouldn’t jump to conclusionsâ€

A mosque is vandalised - people on the left “far-right extremists†people on the right “we shouldn’t jump to conclusionsâ€

Really terrible comparisons if you wanted to equate tgem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I was comparing situations that have actually happened on this site.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Poster is obsessed with labelling anyone they disagree with as "conservative" or "far right" or "religious" or a mix of same. Even people who have stated they voted for SSM have been called it. People who have called out poor Traveller behaviour have been labelled it too despite the fact that it's not a right v left thing in the slightest.

Thanks for the write up my number one fan. As for attacking a mosque ya know a place of worship, do you condemn it? Or is it only certain acts you condemn, pick and choose?

klaaaz wrote: »
    As for attacking a mosque ya know a place of worship, do you condemn it? Or is it only certain acts you condemn, pick and choose?

I absolutely condemn it.

EDIT - Do you know what, since you're being inquisitive I'll go one further and share a little anecdote with you. I work as a prison officer which I've mentioned on here before. Anyway, we have a handful of Muslim inmates. I had two on my landing during the month of Ramadan. I would ask the lads what it's like to fast in a non Islamic country and things like that. Asked what it's like to do it in jail compared to the outside. I learned that they have a massive celebration at the end of it called Eid. So when the fasting ended, I brought in fairy cakes for the two prisoners and I also learned how to say Happy Eid in Arabic (although I probably butchered the pronunciation). So assume away all you want.

He is a comedian just to say , its a comedy act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

To be fair, this could just as easily be sectarian scumbags as it could be racist scumbags. If this was an attack on a Sunni building, I'd put my money on some racist scumbag but the Amadiyya crowd get attacked and persecuted plenty in their own countries.

They're basically Islamic Mormons in the sense that they are a relatively recent sect which added Jesus to the mix and had him live out his life in their own part of the world, Punjabi region somewhere, after the crucifixion. This made a lot of Muslims as angry as they might get after seeing a Danish cartoon on Death to America Fridays. Pakistan even banned them and I don't think they have been unbanned yet.

Anyway, what I'm saying here is that a lot of Muslims hate these guys. And while some people here would rather the perpetrator not turn out to be some racist prick in case it make them look bad, they might be right this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

How on earth could anyone read that post and think he was equating the two incidents?

Jesus wept.

To be fair, this could just as easily be sectarian scumbags as it could be racist scumbags. If this was an attack on a Sunni building, I'd put my money on some racist scumbag but the Amadiyya crowd get attacked and persecuted plenty in their own countries.

Thing is many people do not know the distinguishable sects within Islam, they brand them all Muslims as the same type. Once they see anything resembling Muslim no matter which offshoot it actually is, they attack it. Egged on by our homegrown right wing extremists.

Omg! That’s too much. Lol. :D

He is a comedian just to say , its a comedy act.

Is it? He’s very good. Lol. :D

How on earth could anyone read that post and think he was equating the two incidents?

Calling them two cheeks of the same arse and giving two wildly different examples of when they say similar things wasn't exactly the clearest of pictures to be painting.

Calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Calling them two cheeks of the same arse and giving two wildly different examples of when they say similar things wasn't exactly the clearest of pictures to be painting.

Calm down.

He was making a valid point, not about the incidents themselves, but about people jumping to conclusions that suit whatever agenda they happen to be peddling. Pretty clear, I thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement