Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway mosque attack (vandalism)

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

The people who trash places of worship tend to be knuckle draggers.

See this whopper trying to torch a 250+ year old synagogue in the UK. Didn't quite go to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bobblehats wrote: »
    ...a mosque on a western outpost of Ireland is a most curious sight...
    The 4th largest city in Ireland (80k) some tiny western outpost?

Still, hardly a surprise in a quickly changing Europe.

If you want see see a 'most curious sight' - take a look at the 'actual remote' (Not many could find this place even with a large map) rugged and windswept devoutly Christian island of Lewis, in Scotland. (Pop 8,000).

Which for some reason, has itself a new mosque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

nthclare wrote: »
    I'd say this is not the work of locals, from what I hear there's a growing unrest between hard-line Sunni's and other minority Muslims in Galway.

I experienced it one day maybe 5 year's ago Irish Muslims had a table out with books about Islam and their faith, and a few middle Eastern looking guy's were calling them Kaffirs and having a verbal about the truth about Islam and the Koran, Sura's etc

People don’t want facts. Just say it was a white guy and you’ll get all the approving nods.

NKante wrote: »
    The people who trash places of worship tend to be knuckle draggers.

See this whopper trying to torch a 250+ year old synagogue in the UK. Didn't quite go to plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtK9y0vIK4

He seems drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Orion wrote: »
    And the Ahmadiyya do share a lot of ideals with some of the right wing loons too. Antivax, anti-abortion, homophobic, transphobic. Noonan is tight with Michael Nugent and the Irish Bishops work closer with Noonan than any other Islamic group.

They'd be the least homophobic , transphobic, not sure on other 2 but think they are same as Catholic Church or most Islam.

As a branch of Islam it would be the most progressive and relaxed sect of the faith.

Not on to killing, which makes them apostates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you want see see a 'most curious sight' - take a look at the 'actual remote' (Not many could find this place even with a large map) rugged and windswept devoutly Christian island of Lewis, in Scotland. (Pop 8,000).

Which for some reason, has itself a new mosque.

The Locals donated money and help build it.

Fair play to them.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

mad muffin wrote: »
    He seems drunk.

Maybe but turns out he was hardcore Nazi. Proper into it. Really "didn't care for the Jews", to quote Larry David.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Seems as though a church in Galway has now also been vandalised :(

How many is that now in the last month? 4?

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

mad muffin wrote: »
    How many is that now in the last month? 4?

I am unsure how many but i know there has been a few. This looks like a retaliation attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a source for this? I can't find anything on Google (not that I looked very hard).

biko wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this? I can't find anything on Google (not that I looked very hard).

I know there was one in Co. Fermanagh and St Michan's Church in Dublin and the mosque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭Ecce No Homo

Probably a rogue christian sect.

Boggles wrote: »
    The Locals donated money and help build it.
    Meh, (some) may have done to help keep the peace with the new arrivals. Likely also some funding came in from external sources and grants.

Interesting all the same, wonder when they'll be opening a scientology church and buddist hall on that little extreme north-western barren outpost.

Meh, (some) may have done to help keep the peace with the new arrivals.

They were all ready there, some since the 50's.
    Likely also some funding came in from external sources and grants.

Crowdfunding apparently.
    Interesting all the same, wonder when they'll be opening a scientology church and buddist hall on that little extreme north-western barren outpost.

Is there any Buddhists or Scientologists on the islands?

Either way, it's a great story.

They were all ready there, some since the 50's.
    'All' of them? So the war in Syria was raging since way back in the 50's too?
    Crowdfunding apparently.
    But thought you just said it was paid for by locals? Anonomous int'l online global donors isn't the really the same thing as 'the locals' having a bucket colletion.
    Is there any Buddhists or Scientologists on the islands?
    Very unlikely isn't it don't you think too, however other groups are on a significant increase.
    Either way, it's a great story.
    If you think so yourself, but and not according to the local priest. Would be largely indifferent, it's simply an interesting observation of the quickly changing face of Europe, even on the most remote rocky outposts, that is all.

'All' of them? So the war in Syria was raging since way back in the 50's too?

Apologies, already. 6 Syrian families arrived before it was built I think or maybe some after.

61 Muslims on the islands according to 2011 census.
    But thought you just said it was paid for by locals?

No I didn't.
    Very unlikely isn't it don't you think too, however other groups are on a significant increase.

Sure, each to their own.
    If you think so yourself, but and not according to the local priest. Would be largely indifferent, it's simply an interesting observation of the quickly changing face of Europe, even on the most remote rocky outposts, that is all.

There is always one.

Cracking story TBF, community comes together to help out another islander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Any source for this?

Advertisement