Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic conversion air vent

• 29-07-2019 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

Just looking for some advice from those possibly with a bit of knowledge or experience.

2 years ago I converted my attic into a "storage space", attic height is 1.83m so doesn't suffice as a room unfortunately. I got 100mm of spray foam insulation - extended the trusses depth to accommodate the the fill and allow the 50 mm breather zone. I then put 50mm insulated plaster board up.

Obviously I was worried about loss of heat. Room temperature during the summer is a little warm but OK, little on the hot side. I've two velux windows in, quite big.

I'm thinking of adding an air vent to see if this could relieve some of the heat. Gable end wall will not allow a window. How could I vent the room inside of sleeping with the window open.

I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jayk69

Jayk69 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice from those possibly with a bit of knowledge or experience.

2 years ago I converted my attic into a "storage space", attic height is 1.83m so doesn't suffice as a room unfortunately. I got 100mm of spray foam insulation - extended the trusses depth to accommodate the the fill and allow the 50 mm breather zone. I then put 50mm insulated plaster board up.

Obviously I was worried about loss of heat. Room temperature during the summer is a little warm but OK, little on the hot side. I've two velux windows in, quite big.

I'm thinking of adding an air vent to see if this could relieve some of the heat. Gable end wall will not allow a window. How could I vent the room inside of sleeping with the window open.

I would appreciate any help.

Anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Jayk69 wrote: »
    Anyone???

It's kinda late on a Monday night. I'd imagine most people (especially the kind who might have an answer for you), are asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭dathi

google tile vent or slate vent you can duct one into the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea tile vents and vents in the facia, we put in loads of both when doing the attic conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Check if the Velux windows have a waterproof ventilation opening setting. That's what we use and works great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All velux roof lights have the vent opening. It’s usually the first click on the handle.

Advertisement