Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anywhere local to go frog catching

• 30-07-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

son is very interested in nature and would like to bring him frog catching somewhere local....

obviously we would catch and let go :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Is frog catching a thing?
    If you poke around the banks of the stream where it runs along at the end of the driving range (golf) you might find something to interest him. If not frogs there might be dragonflies etc.
    There is a path along it, as far as the railway track.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

recedite wrote: »

Back in the 80s in the Tolka valley, we used to catch them but like that, we wouldnt put them into anything or take them home, we'd let them go after a while. Great days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

recedite wrote: »
    If you poke around the banks of the stream where it runs along at the end of the driving range (golf) you might find something to interest him. If not frogs there might be dragonflies etc.
    There is a path along it, as far as the railway track.

Yeah showing my age but it was back in my day ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Frogs are protected under the European Union Habitats Directive and by the Irish Wildlife Act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I might be wrong but In think frogs may be a protected species these days and as such collecting them or tadpoles is illegal.

I'm sure it's a provision of the wildlife act, but I may be wrong.

Edit: Post crossed with Seth's but nice to know I was right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Frogs are protected under the European Union Habitats Directive and by the Irish Wildlife Act.

wasnt going to make soup out of them.... catch and let go... literally just hold for a few seconds

Advertisement