Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slope in garden what to do

Options
  • 30-07-2019 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi I have a slope in my garden beside my house, it's a b*t*ch to cut any ideas on what to do with so I dont have to cut it.

Comments

Thats very steep,must be nearly 90 degrees .

Do you have to abseil down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Thats very steep,must be nearly 90 degrees .

Do you have to abseil down ?

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the answer he was looking for...

OP, i would scrub the grass off it, rotavate it and then put a weed membrane in it and then plant it with shrubs. Could stone it off then with decorative stone. If you use bark mulch you will still get some weeds in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Tefral wrote:
    OP, i would scrub the grass off it, rotavate it and then put a weed membrane in it and then plant it with shrubs. Could stone it off then with decorative stone. If you use bark mulch you will still get some weeds in it.

I was thinking about stones but thought they might not stay in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Yup. don't stone it. All the stone will end up down by the kerbside.

Two options.

1. Weed membrane and plant it densely with slow growing shrubs such as heathers etc.
    2. spray it off, rotovate and sow with a perrenial wildflower seed mix. it is slow growing and of much more value for biodiversity than grass or shrubs. and low maintenance. only have to rake off the dead vegetation in autumn. And even then, you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

Terrace it

• Advertisement

No sure that would be a big job.
    maintaning that is going to be even more awkward than a slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

what about one of those husqvarna auro mowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

A 20 inch drive will cut that or auto mower

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd bang in some retainers and use timber sleepers to raise the part at the patio by 300mm or so, then back fill and level it a bit and plant some low shrubs, maybe use rocks and make a rockery which will need even less maintenance.

Where are you going to get all the fill to backfill behind the retainers?
    And if they are wood they will eventually start to rot. Sounds a big job.

wildflower meadow mix is practically maintenance free and can be done very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Any small mower would cut that. If there is other work to be done I wouldn't be wasting time on a grass area that can but easily cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I read through the thread and then clicked on the photo expecting to see a steep slope, only to find something I would consider an absolute doddle for a mower. Just did my PITA slope yesterday with a strimmer, as it happens:

Grasss-slope.jpg

I have seen a large slope near me, that was successfully covered with a ground hugging rambling plant which has woody stems, and small tough silvery/dark leaves and which produces pea sized red berries. I don't know what it is called. It forms a dense low lying mat that would be low maintenance. I could probably take a photo next time I pass if there is interest.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I read through the thread and then clicked on the photo expecting to see a steep slope, only to find something I would consider an absolute doddle for a mower. Just did my PITA slope yesterday with a strimmer, as it happens:

Grasss-slope.jpg

I have seen a large slope near me, that was successfully covered with a ground hugging rambling plant which has woody stems, and small tough silvery/dark leaves and which produces pea sized red berries. I don't know what it is called. It forms a dense low lying mat that would be low maintenance. I could probably take a photo next time I pass if there is interest.

Much steeper than the OP'd but I'd happily do that with a cheap petrol push mower.

For steeper longer slopes the old way was to tie a rope to the handles of a 2 Stroke Flymo and let it down the slope under its own weight then pull it up again.

All well and good mullocking a mower across a slope or pulling and dragging it up and down with a rope.....until you slip or someone gets injured.

These sort of steep slopes should firstly be avoided or designed out from the outset, or if that is not possible they should be made maintenance free by planting with a slow growing mat like shrub as suggested above or just leaving it a wildflower slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Lay sleepers at the bottom and top, remove grass, add membrane, Shrub the lot of it. Maybe put in a water feature if you're feeling fancy.

Id turn it into a feature.

Would it be possible to hire a mini digger and make the slope less steep?
    Cut out a chunk from further back and make a more gradual slope.

Or cut it out to the top of the steps and wall the front of it?

my3cents wrote: »
    Much steeper than the OP'd but I'd happily do that with a cheap petrol push mower.

For steeper longer slopes the old way was to tie a rope to the handles of a 2 Stroke Flymo and let it down the slope under its own weight then pull it up again.

It would want to be a light mower to go down that slope and pull it back up - backwards. Even then there would be a very high risk of slipping and falling backwards on the pull up and pulling the mower over your foot. I have a large Honda mower because it's needed for a far larger flat area. I'm not going to get a second small mower just for that bit when I have a Stihl strimmer.

All well and good mullocking a mower across a slope or pulling and dragging it up and down with a rope.....until you slip or someone gets injured.

These sort of steep slopes should firstly be avoided or designed out from the outset, or if that is not possible they should be made maintenance free by planting with a slow growing mat like shrub as suggested above or just leaving it a wildflower slope.

What snowflake rubbish. Used to do it every working day of the week for many summers.

I'd happily admit you need to be fit to do it so if someone is old or disabled then I wouldn't expect them to do a steep slope but the OP's slope is joke. I guess he can't get his ride on tractor on it rather than can't cut it for any other reason

OP didn't say they couldn't cut it. Just said it is a pain in their ass, and asked for ideas so as to avoid it in the future.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    What snowflake rubbish. Used to do it every working day of the week for many summers.

I'd happily admit you need to be fit to do it so if someone is old or disabled then I wouldn't expect them to do a steep slope but the OP's slope is joke. I guess he can't get his ride on tractor on it rather than can't cut it for any other reason

Yeah, it's snowflake rubbish.......up until you slip and sprain your ankle or put your back out from pulling n dragging. Or until the young fella you get to cut it falls and puts in a big compo claim against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Yeah, it's snowflake rubbish.......up until you slip and sprain your ankle or put your back out from pulling n dragging. Or until the young fella you get to cut it falls and puts in a big compo claim against you.

Yeah I slipped twice mowing it, so I want to avoid cutting it as often as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Some kind of creeping juniper?

I had a quick look at some images of the juniper and I don't think that is quite it, but it would certainly do the trick and the OP might like to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They have slopes like that in the Iveagh Gardens. I think it looks great.

Iveagh3Steps.jpg?resize=500%2C368&ssl=1

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just finished doing a sloped raised bed in my front garden recently. Rotivated, cleared, weed membrane, heathers and bark chips. Looks decent now. Have a few finishing touches to make - have some creepers/wall drooping plants to go along the front.

Bark is staying in place for now.

486779.jpg

Just finished doing a sloped raised bed in my front garden recently. Rotivated, cleared, weed membrane, heathers and bark chips. Looks decent now. Have a few finishing touches to make - have some creepers/wall drooping plants to go along the front.

Bark is staying in place for now.

Having done similar on a few occasions I'd be more worried about the stones in the wall moving. I did a run like that in our garden with small stones and someone that does the weeding knocks them all over the place :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Wall is there years and it was an overgrown mess a couple of months ago. Spent the last while cleaning it up into a shrub border.

Before but after a strim:

During:

As of today with a few bits to be done in the next week:

That Alder hedge feels like it's on steroids. Clipped it back in winter and it's absolutely exploded again. It'll be getting obliterated in Feb..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Grasss-slope.jpg

Cotoneaster horizontalis. It would cover that space very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Celebrate the interesting topography of your garden and be glad you don't have a flat boring place like mine.

Advertisement