Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slope in garden what to do

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

A wheeled strimmer might be suitable. Be easy to manoeuvre - https://robertkee.ie/product/tondu-hwtl-wheeled-trimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd bang in some retainers and use timber sleepers to raise the part at the patio by 300mm or so, then back fill and level it a bit and plant some low shrubs, maybe use rocks and make a rockery which will need even less maintenance.

Noooooooo. Not a rockery if you want maintenance free/minimum maintenance. Rockeries look lovely when they are just done, but then they are a full time job weeding as grass and weeds get into all the little nooks and crannies in the rocks and its a nightmare if it gets out of hand. If you have loads of time and want a project, fine. Otherwise forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

looksee wrote: »
    Noooooooo. Not a rockery if you want maintenance free/minimum maintenance. Rockeries look lovely when they are just done, but then they are a full time job weeding as grass and weeds get into all the little nooks and crannies in the rocks and its a nightmare if it gets out of hand. If you have loads of time and want a project, fine. Otherwise forget it.

While I agree, it sort of depends on how well the rockery is created in the first place. Make a rockery on garden soil and you are in for a massive amount of work weeding. Alpine plants just don't grow in garden soil because most weeds will grow faster.

Some of the best "rockeries" I know have 6 inches of crushed rock over very well drained subsoil and more rock.

If you do it right and go to all the effort then the maintenance is lowered a good bit just that most people don't do it that way.

Thanks, thats interesting my3cents. I never bothered to properly investigate how to build a rockery (apart from knowing not to do the 'spotted dick'* type construction).

* I may need to explain that spotted dick is a type of boiled suet pudding with raisins, the scattering of raisins on the surface giving a similar effect to building a rockery by putting too-small stones on the surface of a mound of earth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

looksee wrote: »
    Thanks, thats interesting my3cents. I never bothered to properly investigate how to build a rockery (apart from knowing not to do the 'spotted dick'* type construction).

* I may need to explain that spotted dick is a type of boiled suet pudding with raisins, the scattering of raisins on the surface giving a similar effect to building a rockery by putting too-small stones on the surface of a mound of earth :D

There's another name I use which comes from some famous garden writer I can't remember the name of "Devil's Lapful". Then there's the Dogs Graveyard.

Just looked it up and it was Reginald Farrer in his book My Rock-Garden https://books.google.ie/books?id=DHZJsqBZvMMC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=devils+lapful+rockery&source=bl&ots=W-es3JQPGh&sig=ACfU3U33cxXrd1GUvKVWEH8gsOeX5QtYDQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD5v3Sj4PkAhWeXRUIHfVqAlUQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=devils%20lapful%20rockery&f=false but I've read the terms in other books.

Its very similar to growing wild flowers in a wild flower meadow you have to provide the right conditions that don't favour weeds, in most cases that means poor soil is best. Although we have a good few weeds that like the same conditions bittercress being a good example of a plant that grows to seed very quickly on in very poor conditions and comes from an alpine type of environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thats very steep,must be nearly 90 degrees .

Do you have to abseil down ?

90 degrees is exactly perpendicular. That is far beyond the picture shown! I’d say below 40 degrees.

Marcusm wrote: »
    90 degrees is exactly perpendicular. That is far beyond the picture shown! I’d say below 40 degrees.

:D ...they were being - a little bit - sarcastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Marcusm wrote: »

The photo is rotated...

OP, I suggest terracing as well. I did this before, it's not too much effort and is easy to maintain afterwards. Dig a triangle shape out of the soil and use that soil to build the level flat.

Just some low retaining walls that can be either plastered and painted, or with a stone or timber finish.
    You could plant it up, or leave it as grass or gravel, whichever you prefer. If doing grass, do a mowing strip at the back to save you strimming.

Two terraces would do it, and you can let the lower wall be about seat height, which can double as a bench for picnic tables, or sitting on to use the garden.

here are some fancy versions from the internet for inspiration.

82fd736c3912adb8879d6f65370994fb.jpg

2107-630x472.jpg

Here's a grassy terrace, I like the bench on the bottom.

modern-landscaping-park-design-of-pavement-steps-grass-terraces-and-bench-RTWRBN.jpg

You can google images anyway to see what's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Amazing what you can do with a magic wand...

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Amazing what you can do with a magic wand...

And a shovel. :pac:

Roll up those sleeves.

Advertisement