Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating issue and upgrade advice

Options
  • 30-07-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a build I put together (spec at bottom) about 5 years ago that's been working fine, but the last couple of nights the fans have been going like crazy. Put it down to the fact that my apartment has been getting like a sauna in the heat, but I think there's a bigger issue, and that possibly the PC is actually contributing towards the heat in the room.

Downloaded CPUID's HWMonitor last night, and the results were alarming. All 4 CPU cores were at 98-100C, although the GPU was down in the 50s.

Had Satisfactory running, along with an idle browser game that can be a little CPU heavy but hasn't caused me problems for months.
    Rebooted, but even at idle* CPU temps weren't dropping much below 70-80.
    (*Wasn't exactly idle, as Windows update was constantly writing to the CPU).

Turned it off, went to bed. Had a quick check this morning and CPU core temps were still showing at around 60C idle (Windows still doing its thing, but processor usage wasn't above 18%.
    GPU temp was 33C.

This is my first build so I'm something of a novice, but I'm guessing that:
    - 80-100C CPU temps aren't good
    - this possibly points to a CPU fan issue? I did move it slightly recently, possibly jarred something loose. I'll check it for dust tonight.

While I'm at it, I'm wondering if there's anywhere I'll see a significant improvement from €100-200.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Spec:
    Mobo - ASRock H97M Pro4, Sockel 1150, mATX
    CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Bx, LGA1150
    GPU - ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II OC, GeForce GTX 770, 2GB GDDR5
    PSU - Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W
    RAM - 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    Case - Antec One, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    Other - Crucial SSD, WD Blue HDD

Comments

You can start by reapplying thermal paste on your CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yeah, sounds like the cooler isn't making good contact, or the fan isn't working.

On the upgrade front, your graphics card is showing it's age at this point. You'd get more than double (probably triple) the performance from a GTX1660 or RX590
    NVidia: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1660
    AMD: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-590

It blows the budget a little, but it'd be worth it in my opinion.

Oh, and do note that AMD should be releasing new entry/midrange graphics cards in the near future, so might be worth the wait there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£13.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card (£166.60 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £180.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 11:58 BST+0100

In budget.
    There's a better 8Gb version for an extra £12, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just sounds like the cpu cooler has come loose. Remove it, clean, apply fresh thermal paste and remount.

Nothing to worry about.

Upgrade wise, if you're a game player, gtx1660 is a huge step up for £200.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks all.

I'll try reapplying thermal paste first, and check if the cooler is working, and replace that if necessary.
    Any idea where to pick some up, ideally around the D2/D6 area?

Still on my Amazon prime trial so can always get some delivered from there either, but that'll take a couple of days.

Thanks for the card suggestions, I might hold off for now and see if there's a drop when the new cards come out. Although I made that mistake before and ended up waiting 6 months. Just have to convince myself I deserve a gtx1660

• Advertisement

It's probably not worth waiting. You deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gussieg

also on the look out for thermal paste as while cleaning i scraped it off .doh. any good recommendations of type/ brand? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

https://www.memoryc.ie/25844-arctic-mx-4-thermal-paste-compound-4g-2019-edition.html

I would just go with this as can get it quicker. Most thermal paste nowadays their is very little in between them and once you get a known brand you wouldn't have any issues with them.
    Thermal Grizzly seems to be more expensive as they fund a lot of sponsored content for their paste which means they have to forward that cost onto consumers. (1g for more than 4g of the arctic paste).

Can get similar paste such as coolermaster paste in pcworld for not expensive prices.

Thermal Grizzly is objectively better - but it's also complete overkill for any CPU that's not being overclocked.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Thermal Grizzly is objectively better - but it's also complete overkill for any CPU that's not being overclocked.
    Yes this was my point, it would be wasted on a generic computer. I even think its a waste of money of my watercooled 1950x.
    Maybe if your trying to eek more from your 5ghz 9900k it might be useful but otherwise you are better served with standard paste that you get in larger portions that you have enough for a few applications.
    Horses for courses and all that.

Quick related question - I've picked up some thermal paste (Right-Click on Camden St) but struggling to find isopropyl alcohol to remove any existing dried paste.

Found a few posts saying chemists or Boots, but the chemist I've tried doesn't have any any nor does Boots website.
    (Though the latter does list microfibre lens wipes containing isopropyl alcohol, and it just struck me I've a large box of something similar at home. Obviously not sure what else they contain, but wondering if they might work)

Anything else I could use that might be readily available? And thanks again for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A small amount of white spirit will work, it's not ideal as it can leave a film behind, but will do the job and won't have a major impact on heat transfer. Clean it down, dry it off with some cottons pads or something, and you're grand.

Those lens wipes you've mentioned should be fine as well.

Ask them if they have ethyl / rubbing / medicinal alcohol.

Or watch LTT:

I've always just cleaned it off with a piece of tissue (kitchen roll) and be done with it. Never felt the need to use any of the liquids.
    If its stubborn dip the tissue in a bit of water so its damp and wipe it away. Job done.

Forgot to come back to this, but after all my panic last week, when I finally got around to opening the case I found the problem straight off.

My CPU cooler was almost invisible under massive clumps of dust. Spent about half an hour cleaning out the case, tried it again, ran a lot quieter and temps are 15-20C lower on average. Maybe still a little on the high side at times so I might try reapplying the paste over the weekend, but at least it's not in imminent danger of going on fire.

Cheers for the advice on both the temp issue and the GPU upgrade. Seriously thinking about getting into VR for NMS, so I might treat myself to the gtx1660 after all. As soon as I start hoovering a bit more regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If it's on the floor or especially on a carpet try move it on to a desk.

Advertisement