Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Apply For Carer's While On Disability Allowance?

Options
  • 30-07-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Just a quick question, my daughter is on disability allowance for anxiety disorder and she lives with me. She's been working very hard on helping me at home, living here and taking care of me and my husband, as I'm struggling as my knee gets worse as does my arthritis. My husbands in his 70's and hasn't been the same since he had an embolism to the brain, so he can't be left on his own as he tends to forget lots of things like leaving doors open or keys in them, the cooker on and things like that.

My daughter lives with us, and does so much around the house for us, and as I don't claim anything at all and I just rely on my husbands pension and my daughter helps with food shopping and whatever she can, I was wondering if I can put in for her to be my carer for carers allowance?

Will she have to be taken off her disability allowance? I don't want to make things difficult financially for her, or is it worth going down that root?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You can't receive two full SW payments at once, but there is something called the Half-Rate Carers Allowance, where if you get certain payments and then become a carer, you can claim your full original payment and then a half-rate of carers. DA is one of the qualifying payments.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/half_rate_carers_allowance.html

She may also be eligible for the Carers Support Grant which is a one-off payment paid in June each year: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/respite_care_grant.html

She can also put in to be assessed as a carer for you both, as there's also an increase when caring for a 2nd person.

Family Carers Ireland might be worth a chat, they have a phoneline you can call (1800 240724), or they have lots of local centres around the country you can call in to for advice (https://familycarers.ie/find-us/).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brigidcooley75

Thank you so much, that is very helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

You can get half-rate Carer’s Allowance with the following weekly social welfare payments:
    State Pension (Contributory) and State Pension (Contributory) Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Deserted Wife's Benefit
    Invalidity Pension and Invalidity Pension Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Jobseeker's Benefit Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Jobseeker's Allowance Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Illness Benefit and Illness Benefit Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension
    Injury Benefit and Injury Benefit Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Death Benefit
    Health and Safety Benefit
    Partial Capacity Benefit
    Maternity Benefit
    Adoptive Benefit
    State Pension (Non-Contributory) and State Pension (Non-Contributory) Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Blind Pension and Blind Pension Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Pre-Retirement Allowance and Pre-Retirement Allowance Increase for a Qualified Adult Allowance
    Disability Allowance and Disability Allowance Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Incapacity Supplement and Incapacity Supplement Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Farm Assist and Farm Assist Increase for a Qualified Adult
    You cannot get half-rate Carer’s Allowance with the following social welfare payments:
    Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) and SWA Increase for a Qualified Adult
    Jobseeker's Benefit
    Jobseeker's Allowance
    Jobseeker's Transitional payment
    Working Family Payment (formerly known as Family Income Supplement)
    Back to Work Allowance
    Back to Education
    Carer’s Benefit

Advertisement