Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm/immobiliser options -- + installation + insurance

Options
  • 30-07-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of getting a bike and one of the questions that came up in scoping for insurance was whether an immobiliser would be fitted. (And I've been terrified by all the stories of thefts).

Thinking that would be a good idea, I looked for info on this forum, but most relevant discussions are old -- see https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=577&query=immobiliser

So I have lots of questions:

1. Does anyone have any product recommendations? I was looking at the M+S Legos 4 System and it seems good, but I wouldn't have a clue how to install it. Also, I'm a cheapskate appalled at the ancillary cost of biking compared to 'the good old days', so is there anything decent that's cheaper?

2. Is there anyone who provides a service (for cheapskates) installing items such as this? Not just alarm, but immobiliser too, meaning deeper into the bike's wiring?

3. Are there specific certifications (.e.g. Thathcam etc?) that insurers require? Any time I see Thatcham I see £€£€s, so wonder if they're worth it.

4. How much does having an immobiliser (presumably approved) save on insurance? The insurer websites, not surprisingly, are completely mysterious about this.

Any input appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Most bikes have one already, what bike are you considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Enfield Interceptor.

Ye, as far as I know you're out of luck. For the same money you'd get a lot more bike if you looked at something else. immobilisers are fairly standard now a days.

zubair wrote: »
    For the same money you'd get a lot more bike if you looked at something else.
    lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Breezin wrote: »
    Enfield Interceptor.

That bike is fitted with an immobiliser as standard and unless you really have to I wouldn't bother with an alarm. Spend your alarm budget on an Almax lock and chain and keep the bike out of sight.

• Advertisement

Breezin wrote: »
    lol :pac:

Do-i-look-like-im-loling.jpg

That bike is fitted with an immobiliser as standard and unless you really have to I wouldn't bother with an alarm. Spend your alarm budget on an Almax lock and chain and keep the bike out of sight.

I can't find an immobiliser on any Interceptor spec list, except for this one, which mentions it in the negative -- https://www.bikedekho.com/royal-enfield/interceptor-650/specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

That site is an Indian site where they have different standards and pricing. I'm 99% sure its an EU requirement and this site lists it as included but you'd be best to ring the Irish importer and ask.

That site is an Indian site where they have different standards and pricing. I'm 99% sure its an EU requirement and this site lists it as included but you'd be best to ring the Irish importer and ask.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

So I had a closer look and that TS write-up actually says, in a roundabout way, that the RE doesn't have an immobiliser.

(It's comparing it to a T100, which is in a different league, and one of the things that does that is the immob.)

So still on the hunt for one, and for any sparks who can install one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

My advice dont skimp on security or helmet
    A very good alarm and immobiliser would be the cost equivalent of to weekend spins.
    Just save the money to save peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

In the process of getting a new xmax scooter and will most likely go the tracking route (Biketrac) and a decent chain & lock, after that its in the lap of the GODs.
    This link may help your choice:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-security

There was talk of emulators being used to fool the keyless bikes that the key is present, does anyone know if this is an old issue or if it effects the new models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

cubix wrote: »
    In the process of getting a new xmax scooter and will most likely go the tracking route (Biketrac) and a decent chain & lock, after that its in the lap of the GODs.
    This link may help your choice:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-security

There was talk of emulators being used to fool the keyless bikes that the key is present, does anyone know if this is an old issue or if it effects the new models.
    I've read on a Facebook group that the biketrac system is not as good as they make it out to be, i don't have one nor do i know anyone personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Whatever route you go down with an alarm, just make sure whoever fits it knows what they're doing.

Nothing like a cowboy installation to break your heart with flat batteries, random activations and just plain refusing to start because the immobiliser has decided to kick in for the craic.

Advertisement