Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post drafts

Options
  • 30-07-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys this is more a question than a suggestion as I don't know the technicalities involved but could there be an option to save written posts as drafts? The amount of times an actual technical issue such as CAPCHA failing means I lose the post. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously but either way i'm curios about it as other sites like Quora have an automatic draft save option (I know it's not a forum).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hi guys this is more a question than a suggestion as I don't know the technicalities involved but could there be an option to save written posts as drafts? The amount of times an actual technical issue such as CAPCHA failing means I lose the post. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously but either way i'm curios about it as other sites like Quora have an automatic draft save option (I know it's not a forum).

When the site has had reliability issues, I've often quickly hit "Ctrl+A" followed by "Ctrl+C" to save it to the clipboard as I type. Best I can suggest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

When the site has had reliability issues, I've often quickly hit "Ctrl+A" followed by "Ctrl+C" to save it to the clipboard as I type. Best I can suggest.

Thanks A. It's not a problem really just a query about feasibility.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi steddyeddy,

Unfortunately this is not feasible. If the site was to save drafts automatically, it would create too much of a workload for the database (DB). If it was to be made a manual process, it doesn't get around site issues/failures because it would have to go through the same process, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hi steddyeddy,

Unfortunately this is not feasible. If the site was to save drafts automatically, it would create too much of a workload for the database (DB). If it was to be made a manual process, it doesn't get around site issues/failures because it would have to go through the same process, I'm afraid.

Thanks Mark. I'm learning all the time. The Captcha thing isn't a problem anymore anyway. It's a lot more reliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It can be done client-side using similar scripts to what gmail used to store drafts on the client local storage.

e.g.: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/12/sisyphus-js-client-side-drafts-and-more/

It's an update to jquery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,475 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Copy to clipboard is the easiest, or I have a document that just sits on my desktop that I throw random stuff in for a short while, I just keep re-using it. Its a bit of a faff just for your requirement though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You could type it into a Notepad file or your personal email as a draft perhaps and copy it over to here? A little inconvenient if you want to quote posts or insert links into text.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks, Steve.

I know there's a roadmap in place in terms of development work and projects so something like this will still be a bit off. I'm a bit disappointed that the site highlighting this script doesn't have it in place for its comment form!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks, Steve.

I know there's a roadmap in place in terms of development work and projects so something like this will still be a bit off. I'm a bit disappointed that the site highlighting this script doesn't have it in place for its comment form!

Yeah, even the GitHub entry is 4 years stale.
    Was just highlighting an option that would have no server side load.

Advertisement