Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Term Question

Options
  • 30-07-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Folks,

Looking to get some advice on how long I should fix my mortgage rate for.

I'm currently in the process of switching mortgages and it is all approved in principle where they are offering me either 2.8% fixed for 3 years or 2.9% fixed for 5 years.

My question is - what's the better option here given the likelihood of a downturn/recession in the next couple of years. Am I best taking the longer option to protect against any increases in fixed/variable rates should a recession hit or is it the opposite case that rates would actually go down to stimulate the economy and I should fix for a shorter term length to take advantage if this was the case?

Thanks

RP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you're expecting a downturn, go with 2.9% fixed for 5 years.

Even if the ECB cut interest rates (to negative) your bank will still hike interest rates reflecting risk/uncertainty/their reserves/profit for shareholders/they'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

depends on how tight to your collar the payment will be.

I fixed for three years two years ago because I fancied I would have a lump sum to pay off and with market still increasing might be able to get a better loan to value calculation.

if I was buying today with market stabilising and Brexit worries I would probably fix for the 5 years .
    they are both very decent rates , so i dont see the 2.8% falling substantially in the interim but a significant raise is not unfeasible

Advertisement