Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone / KN FTTH install - bad form

• 30-07-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Customer had FTTH installed yesterday. ONT installed and SBG3000 left with them. Once this was installed, the technician left and yesterday evening their old DSL subscription removed.

Here's where i'm a little put off....
    Technician was less than helpful, didn't want to install the ONT close to the comms rack - we got over this (he eventually did install next to the other hardware).

I wasn't there myself, but the technician plugged the ONT CAT5 into the *LAN* port of the SBG3000 router and buggered off.

When I arrived today to resolve the issue, I presumed it was just the issue above. I plugged the CAT5 into the WAN port of the SBG3000 but no joy.

After getting through to Vodafone, they concluded a faulty router (brand new!) and are sending out a new one.

In the meantime, the customer will now be 2-3 days without internet so cannot work.

The technician clearly didn't test the connection before leaving.

Is this the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't listen to vf tech. They've had orders not to send techs at all cost going by recent reports. Do your own diagnosis. The ONT lights will tell you how far he got. If that's working you can test the retail part with a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ED E wrote: »
    Don't listen to vf tech. They've had orders not to send techs at all cost going by recent reports. Do your own diagnosis. The ONT lights will tell you how far he got. If that's working you can test the retail part with a laptop.

I could only go on what VF Support said over the phone (In fairness, got through to them quickly)

ONT LED's
    LAN - On
    LOS - Off
    PON - On
    Power - On

He said everything to the ONT is fine, but that the issue is between the ONT and the Router. Internet LED just kept flashing. Once logged into the router, just a 'No Connection' on the general Status page. Went to Diagnostics, and all sorts of WAN links were showing no stats at all.

I suspect a new router won't make any difference.

Tried a hard reset / new CAT5 etc...

VF Support said they 'couldnt see the router' (very technical)

You mentioning diagnosing with a laptop... can I plug directly into the ONT? (They have a static IP).

To be blunt, i've no experience with FTTH.... anyone I deal with uses Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Link up, no connectivity means:
    A) You're on the wrong OLT port assignment or unconfigured
    B) Vodafone never provisioned you authentication wise

Its quite unlikely its the modem unless it was plugged out during its first connection firmware update. You can wait for the delivery but I'd be slow to put money on that working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

There was an outage in different parts of the country that would cause no session whatever happened it never connected to the internet just the network. No pppoe or some such.
    The tech isn't actually responsible for that he's responsible for the ont however when there's a TV order he can't install the TV without the internet part working so Vodafone then pay for that part as per sla the techs can't do anything about it either. The short of it was their server or the portal from open eir to themselves went down so they didn't get the handover of the line. (Tbh I've heard different things along that vein with each call so apologies if it sounds vague)

Advertisement