Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sproai festival 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

News and Star reporting "more people than ever attended this years spraoi"

I was in Friday night, pretty much all day Saturday and the parade Sunday night.

Can't say I noticed a drop in the numbers. Saturday was mobbed, John Roberts Square, The Mall, Applemarket and Baileys new street were all buzzin.

Rain cleared up the Sunday night and looked like a very big croed at the parade. Parade and fireworks were excellent.

Moving Spraoi weekend would be a disaster, its stood the test of time 27 years. Haven't seen numbers effected the past years so why move it.

As someone said its Spraoi weekend and not the August bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

They tried to make changes to the Spraoi a few years ago, as far as I remember they had the parade on an afternoon and might have even been on different weekends and it didn’t work.

This proved that if it’s not broken why fix it

The Spraoi is run for the people and is now part of the fabric of the city. It brings a lot of visitors to the city and a lot of much needed revenue also

No way should it make way for ATN that has little impact on local communities or businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

jimbojazz wrote: »
    They tried to make changes to the Spraoi a few years ago, as far as I remember they had the parade on an afternoon and might have even been on different weekends and it didn’t work.

This proved that if it’s not broken why fix it

The Spraoi is run for the people and is now part of the fabric of the city. It brings a lot of visitors to the city and a lot of much needed revenue also

No way should it make way for ATN that has little impact on local communities or businesses

I agree. Also lets not forget that at any moment POD could decide to pull ATN from Waterford whereas at least Spraoi is embedded into our cities fabric so it would be a huge risk to mess with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

alta stare wrote: »
    I agree. Also lets not forget that at any moment POD could decide to pull ATN from Waterford whereas at least Spraoi is embedded into our cities fabric so it would be a huge risk to mess with it.

Agreed. The best thing we can all do on Spraoi weekend is turn out in our multitudes, throw our fivers (or more) in their buckets and let spraoi know how important they are to all of us. ATN will be fine, Spraoi is the one we have to collectively support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

iphonehead wrote: »
    Agreed. The best thing we can all do on Spraoi weekend is turn out in our multitudes, throw our fivers (or more) in their buckets and let spraoi know how important they are to all of us. ATN will be fine, Spraoi is the one we have to collectively support.

Absolutely.

Thankfully Spraoi has the backing of the city council aswell so i think it will be ok. I cant see it moving. Its is too big to mess with too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement