Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Cancellation Compensation

• 30-07-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hey Guys -

I was supposed to board an AerLingus flight for Milan (Malpensa airport) on Friday 26th July however when i reached the airport i was informed that the flight is an hour delayed. I waited for an hour and when the boarding time came, we were told that the flight is cancelled. Not even delayed, but cancelled! We requested to be given replacement flights however were asked to leave the departure lounge and book through AerLingus website or call them on their phone.

So we exited the departure lounge and then started calling up AerLingus and surprise, no one picks up the phone. Tried booking an alternative flight online but the website wouldn't let us. After 30-40 minutes of waiting on the phone, someone finally picked up and told us the next flight is after 24 hours (the same flight i was supposed to get on Friday, just now i'll get it on Saturday). There was another flight in the morning but i was told that that one was already full.

Anyway, so i ended up travelling a day later which is quite significant for me as it was a 3 day weekend trip ! i ended up wasting money on hotel, car rental, tours etc. due to the 1 day delay and also had to incurr additional costs to go back home and then back to the airport the next day.

Coming to my question, What is the amount of compensation i can claim in this regard? I heard there's a maximum of 600 Eur compensation claim i can file. Would the airline also reimburse me the costs which i incurred which i wasn't able to utilize due to the flight delay (for e.g. hotel, tours etc)? And also, should i apply for the compensation myself or through these online websites? I think the websites take a bit of commission for themselves as well so i'd like to avoid that.

Please advise ! :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

E250 as it's based on mileage. Also depends why your flight was cancelled - not all cancellations are covered by EU261.

Claim from your travel insurance for incidentals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

we were flying Dublin to Chicago in November( to visit family for thanksgiving). There was something wrong with the plane, we were about to queue up to board for the 3.50pm flight when we were told we would be updated in an hour. This happened about 3 times before we were told it was cancelled.

We were told to go get the bags then go to a check in desk to rebook and another desk to book a hotel. We got a flight at 11am the next morning. But it ruined our plans to surprise the family. When I got home I submitted that claim form on the aerlingus website and a few hours later I got a email to say we were entitled to €600 per person(due to distance and time) got a cheque a few days later. Have to say they were great to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ManUnited123

So i made the claim from AerLingus and this is the reply i get !!!

"Thank you for contacting Aer Lingus.

I was sorry to learn you were affected by the disruption to Aer Lingus flight EI436 on July 26, 2019. Please accept my apologies on behalf of Aer Lingus.

The EI 436 was disrupted due to adverse weather conditions which resulted in air traffic control restrictions. Aer Lingus deems this an extraordinary circumstance and wish to invoke Article 5 Paragraph 3 of the European Regulation 261/2004. This was the basis for the disruption on this occasion and therefore unfortunately, no compensation is due.
    In order to process your claim, please reply to this email and submit all valid receipts for out-of-pocket expenses you may have incurred as an attachment as we cannot consider the attachment you previously sent. We would suggest that you simply capture all valid receipts of your expenses incurred in jpeg or png format images. Upon receipt, your claim will be priority processed.

Please do not reply directly to this email as it will delay handling of your case. To send us a reply or to update your case please click here. Please include your case number, 4177635, on all correspondence. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alain
    Guest Service Team"

How is it that only AerLingus flight was disrupted due to adverse weather conditions?!? This is complete bull****, and their staff told me at the airport that they will reimburse me for the costs that i have incurred and they haven't even reimbursed me for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So i made the claim from AerLingus and this is the reply i get !!!

"Thank you for contacting Aer Lingus.

I was sorry to learn you were affected by the disruption to Aer Lingus flight EI436 on July 26, 2019. Please accept my apologies on behalf of Aer Lingus.

The EI 436 was disrupted due to adverse weather conditions which resulted in air traffic control restrictions. Aer Lingus deems this an extraordinary circumstance and wish to invoke Article 5 Paragraph 3 of the European Regulation 261/2004. This was the basis for the disruption on this occasion and therefore unfortunately, no compensation is due.
    In order to process your claim, please reply to this email and submit all valid receipts for out-of-pocket expenses you may have incurred as an attachment as we cannot consider the attachment you previously sent. We would suggest that you simply capture all valid receipts of your expenses incurred in jpeg or png format images. Upon receipt, your claim will be priority processed.

Please do not reply directly to this email as it will delay handling of your case. To send us a reply or to update your case please click here. Please include your case number, 4177635, on all correspondence. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alain
    Guest Service Team"

How is it that only AerLingus flight was disrupted due to adverse weather conditions?!? This is complete bull****, and their staff told me at the airport that they will reimburse me for the costs that i have incurred and they haven't even reimbursed me for that!

They've asked you to submit receipts for expenses you incurred and said that they'll process them as a priority. They're pretty quick at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ManUnited123

They've asked you to submit receipts for expenses you incurred and said that they'll process them as a priority. They're pretty quick at that.

I live in Dublin so i didn't incur any additional accommodation expenses. I did incur travel to and from the airport as a result of this (roughly 40 eur for 2 people)

I incurred additional costs in the sense that i wasn't able to utilize activities and accommodation booked in Milan and they were non refundable (Accommodation for a day, car hire for a day, tours booked etc.)

I have already provided all of these to AerLingus but i don't think they are willing to accept this as actual costs incurred? Its completely ridiculous.. and the AerLingus staff told me that AerLingus will reimburse me for the costs incurred in Milan!! Probably said that to get rid of me i guess ! :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

already advised to claim from your travel insurance for incidentals - you did have travel insurance ??

Advertisement