Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for newborn clothing

• 30-07-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm due in November and going to start stocking up on essentials shortly. This is my first baby and I'm unsure how much clothing to get for the baby.

Do I get a few bits for newborn and a few bits for 1 month old and 2 month old and then buy more as they grow?

I was thinking along the lines of sleep suits, babygrows, hats, and maybe 2-3 'outfits'. People say not to buy too much because I'll receive loads of baby clothes when he/ she arrives.

What are the essential clothing items that most people buy before baby arrives? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Vests and babygros. Mine wore nothing else for the first 3 months. I find Tesco great for basics and Next for variety. Sizewise, most people’s babies grow out of newborn size very quickly so 1 month and 3-6 months would be good to stock up on. Few hats for the first week. I never bothered with mittens as the babygros have sleeves where the cuff can be rolled over their little hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

We used NEXT babygros - which fasten around them rather than over the head and have built in mitts. have nice variety.

also used H&M organic cotton vests which are great and again wrap around them rather than over the head. they do 3 for 2 on the range all the time and good online shop.

Didn't know either time what we were having so just bought white clothes for first 3 days in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Vests and babygrows mainly if not just those. I dont think we put an outfit on her more than a handful of times in the first 3 months. My girl was 8lbs 8oz so the newborn size only done her a few days. Get 1 month and 0-3 months mainly. You will get loads of clothes and you can buy more after the first month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

0-1 month is the size you want for newborn. Sometimes it's labelled 10lbs. Actual new born is too small to be of much use to most babies.

I'm due my second in November. The long sleeved wrap vests from H&M, about 10 0-1month footed baby grow and 10 0-3 month baby gros will do me nicely I reckon. Any of the main brands we tried last time were fine.

We also have an all in one fleece coat from polarn o pyret that I love, but any all in one coat should do. A few hat's and we'll be set.

One comment I'd have that didn't occur to me with my first - they sleep in whatever they're wearing alot so it needs to be comfy. Newborn clothes trend to be anyway, but he never wore alot of the "cute" 6 month + stuff because it looked uncomfortable to sleep in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Yup, up to 1 month is perfect- wouldn’t buy too many of them in case you have a whopper though. My last baby only wore the 0-1 stuff for a day or two. My newest baby is getting great wear. Just buy enough for a day or two, then a few 0-3 months babygros and vests. Remember that next etc do next day delivery, you won’t be stuck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Up to 1 month was my failsafe.Never bothered with the newborn stuff.Unless you are being told you are having a particularly small baby, up to 1 month works fine.Mothercare, M&S and maybe Boots do it?Don't think Dunnes do.

I didn't bother with outfits either because they are mainly in babygrows the first few weeks anyway.And mine were windy babies-i always felt putting tight waistbands around their little middles did not do anything for their little insides in processing wind etc!!

Bear in mind it is now summer.Be wary of buying specific outfits for a November baby in July.Newborns are very temperature sensitive, so buying short sleeve t-shirts etc is a bit pointless.

Have some bits for you too, especially if you plan to try breastfeeding-H&M do good strap tops that can be worn under things, and loose things with buttons like shirts etc .I got caught with that on my first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was caught with the feeding clothes as well. X large strapped bests with a tshirt over them worked well to do ‘one up one down’. Best option to remain covered as well.

I got a good bit of use with newborn size but my twins were a bit early and a bit small. Just vestsband babygros. Wouldn’t bother with any outfits. I also loved the morrck blanket for the car seat/buggy. Very much recommend that.

Also, when I had my first baby, I literally had the contents of my hospital bag, a car seat, a pram and a Moses basket. I didn’t have another thing over and above that bought. It’s very true that you’ll probably get a lot of gifts.

And cardigans. You’ll need those for a winter baby. Keep an eye out for them, they can be hard to come by. Better still if you know someone who knits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Great suggestions and tips - thanks a million :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

It was all newborn and up to 1 month stuff we had and then when she born at 6 pounds I had to fly out and get tiny baby stuff and nothing for her! You need babygrows, vests and cardigans. Also you will get more clothes than the baby can ever wear so don't go mad buying stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

Get a couple of sleep suits closer to your due date when they have a better idea of baby size. Make sure everything is button up rather than over the head as it’s soooo much easier to do

And nappies......lots of nappies.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

Also remember that the sizes vary from shop to shop so go by the weight size on the packets. I had two small babies & found Dunnes do a lovely small newborn babygrow, when their toes are touching the bottom of the babygrow it's time to move up a size.

Also, if breastfeeding it isn't recommended that you cover the baby's hands with mitts as you can miss feeding cues & they use their hands when feeding too. Best of luck, I'll never forget how excited I was pre-baby looking at my freshly washed line of baby clothes 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrsk29

Definitely just get up to one month and 0-3 to start with. We panicked when my baby was born early in April and ran to get newborn clothes because up to one month was baggy on him. The newborn stuff fit for 3 days and that was it, huge waste.

You can’t have enough onesies and vests. H&M are great quality for footless onesies (shop online) and so are Next, especially for vests.

And don’t buy too far ahead of 0-3 for clothes because I bought loads in various sizes and then the clothes didn’t work for the type of weather because he wasn’t in the right size for his age (tall baby - 3 months old and in 6-9 now). Only buy ahead for onesies and vests because you’ll always use them.

Make sure you have plenty of cellular blankets for sleeping and probably heavier ones for out and about. And they recommend not using mittens anymore so we didn’t use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

The Lidl brands of clothes are great and so soft.. Look out for the sales you will get some lovely newborn stuff for half nothing..

Id say pick up a few newborn outfits - brands Lidl, Next, Pennys and Tesco, for a treat the Boots brand are lovely.

Pick up a few next size up then, watch out for Tesco they have great bargins on clothes, 2.99 or less and they are perfect...

While white is great too if you arent a fan of washing stay away from it, it is a pain in the arse to wash and the button up the suits that kinda go to the side (you nearly have to dislocate theirs legs to get them in and out of them when changing.) https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiw_vi5ru7jAhXCh1wKHSXKAmIQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.matalan.co.uk%2Fproduct%2Fdetail%2Fs2687155_c438%2Funisex-dumbo-babygrow-newborn-9mths-cream&psig=AOvVaw3tZfKhZwVSboq1n7u1xW5L&ust=1565184938986737..

The suits (especially) for the girls with the built in babygrow or part that covers their nappy we found fantastic saves all the layers

Buy very little, you will be falling over the piles off stuff you will get in presents from people so no need to go out spending money on much stuff yourself.

soft pull on botties too, id stay away from baby shoes themselves dont know who came up with them but just soft pull on ones we found great

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

George.com (George at ASDA) do brilliant multipacks of vests and sleepsuits. They're great value and wash really well - I still order the majority of clothes online from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I used newborn for my first she was 7lbs 3 oz but my 2nd was 8lbs 11oz so she went straight into upto 1 month.

We got a few vests and baby grows in each size upto 3-6 months. only started putting actual clothes on her at 3-6 months. 2nd was born during the heavy snow in 2018, our snow baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Milly33 wrote: »
    soft pull on botties too, id stay away from baby shoes themselves dont know who came up with them but just soft pull on ones we found great

I can't stand seeing babies with these big huge shoes on them, mine didn't wear them till she could walk. Soft slippers for around the house was all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

might be a good idea to get a snowsuit as it'll be a winter baby.
    Handy for getting out in the pram.
    Remember not to use big coats etc... when in a carseat as it's best to use blankets so the car straps are more securely fitted.

michellie wrote: »
    I can't stand seeing babies with these big huge shoes on them, mine didn't wear them till she could walk. Soft slippers for around the house was all.

Bootties not Botties haha.. Yep Im the same, i just could not figure out how they got them on their feet our little one scrunches up her toes everytime you put a shoe near them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

So hard to know what to get. I got a few newborn stuff, she never fit in to them. My baby was 8lb12oz and very long. She fit into up to one month for about a week and a half. She's now 6 weeks and growing out of up to 3 months :pac:

I'd get maybe 2 newborn vests/babygrows and the rest up to one month. I wouldn't bother with outfits, still almost always in babygrows here. It's just easier when they're small! People do buy lots of stuff but it's almost always 3-6 months. We got no gifts (except 1 or 2 things) in up to 1 and up to 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I was very unprepared so my boy left the hospital in my daughters pink baby grow, it was funny!

I love next as I find there is so much room in them! I find the clothes huge and there is lovely neural things in there! I love H&M too, they have lovely animal type prints!

Baby grows, vests, socks is good start! They need a few little hats for hospital as far as I remember. I remember having to send someone out to get cellular blankets as I didn’t have any but don’t know if this was before or after I left hospital. I also ran out of clean clothes in the hospital, looking back I was quite disorganised 😊

I found I got lovely presents, but some where jeans etc and quite uncomfortable so I just stuck to cotton baby grows!

Advertisement