Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing switch

Options
  • 30-07-2019 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

I want to change a 4 way switch to a 3 way switch as 1 of existing switches serves no purpose. I am not an electrician but wondering if I could/should do this. It seems v straightforward I.e. Unscrew existing switch, detach wires from said switch, attach wires to new switch, screw new switch back on...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

I want to change a 4 way switch to a 3 way switch as 1 of existing switches serves no purpose. I am not an electrician but wondering if I could/should do this. It seems v straightforward I.e. Unscrew existing switch, detach wires from said switch, attach wires to new switch, screw new switch back on...

Pretty easy , mark all the cables beforehand and take photos , make sure the power is off from the board , make sure the new connection s are tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

kramer1 wrote: »
    Pretty easy , mark all the cables beforehand and take photos , make sure the power is off from the board , make sure the new connection s are tight

Thanks kramer1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Thanks kramer1
    No problem

Few years ago I was in my uncles and noticed a taped up switch by the kitchen door.
    I asked what was up with it and he said he had changed it to a chrome switch but kept getting shocks off it randomly ..........

Took the faceplate off to find a 1 way switch where a 2 way switch had been previously .
    There wasn't enough terminals in the new switch so he stuck one of the strappers in the earth lug on faceplace :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

You will need to change the back of to a single box unless you are making up a plate with a blank. It might be easier to get someone in to do it there might be a lot of messing around and there will be plastering to do

• Advertisement
Advertisement