Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SIM only deals

Options
  • 30-07-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Coming to the end of sim only deal with eir for €14.99 per month. Had a quick look online for new deals and nothing jumping out at me.... Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Going again with Eir on the mobile connect 30 days for 6 months at €19.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Davy wrote: »

Yeh, I just saw that online earlier myself. Might be best option currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

toby2111 wrote: »
    Coming to the end of sim only deal with eir for €14.99 per month. Had a quick look online for new deals and nothing jumping out at me.... Any recommendations?
    Davy wrote: »

I'm also coming to the end of the 6 months at €15 per month deal with eir in September, bill then goes to €30. Was going to do this and start 6 months at €20.
    But have now gotten a text saying I'm on the new plan(eir mobile connect - same name), and now have the increased data. So looks like it'll be €30.

Low call, text and Data user, any advice please? Virgin at €20 per month seems to be the best....

BowWow wrote: »
    I'm also coming to the end of the 6 months at €15 per month deal with eir in September, bill then goes to €30. Was going to do this and start 6 months at €20.
    But have now gotten a text saying I'm on the new plan(eir mobile connect - same name), and now have the increased data. So looks like it'll be €30.

Low call, text and Data user, any advice please? Virgin at €20 per month seems to be the best....

I moved to the 6 months @€;19.99 plan and got a text saying I have "no limits data" and my price will stay the same. So its still probably best offer out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Rang eir, asked for the €19.99 plan, told I couldn't have it as I was already on the Connect plan.
    So I gave 30 days notice, said I was looking at moving to Virgin for €15 a month, also looking at Lyca etc. Good chat about me not making a lot of calls, not sending many texts and only using a small amount of Data.
    I now have the €14.99 per month renewed for another 6 months - very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

If you are a Virgin Media TV/Broadband subscriber you can get unlimited SIM for 5euro a month for 5 months and 25 euro after that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Armonline wrote: »
    If you are a Virgin Media TV/Broadband subscriber you can get unlimited SIM for 5euro a month for 5 months and 25 euro after that

Do you know if the issue with receiving texts from certain numbers is resolved? I read that people could not receive texts from their bank, utility company etc. Granted this was when they first launched their network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

I moved to the 6 months @€;19.99 plan and got a text saying I have "no limits data" and my price will stay the same. So its still probably best offer out there...

Hows that been working out?

I read an article where Virgin "no limits" basically gets cut at 40 GB/month - realistically.

Three mobile on the other hand has a fair use policy of 60 GB, however most user far exceed this (I know I do).
    I exceed it by about double every month - no problems.

Virgin (who use three's network) have a better 20 euro deal - unlimited everything basically, but I'm concerned their "no limits" data is really, "40 GB then go f$$k yourself". :confused:

What's your data usage been like thus far?

Hows that been working out?

I read an article where Virgin "no limits" basically gets cut at 40 GB/month - realistically.

Three mobile on the other hand has a fair use policy of 60 GB, however most user far exceed this (I know I do).
    I exceed it by about double every month - no problems.

Virgin (who use three's network) have a better 20 euro deal - unlimited everything basically, but I'm concerned their "no limits" data is really, "40 GB then go f$$k yourself". :confused:

What's your data usage been like thus far?
    Same as normal. I mostly use wifi at home and in work so I only use around 10gb max per month. So the no limits doesn't benefit me.
    I thought there was some new EU ruling that "no limits" /unlimited has to be exactly that?

Same as normal. I mostly use wifi at home and in work so I only use around 10gb max per month. So the no limits doesn't benefit me.
    I thought there was some new EU ruling that "no limits" /unlimited has to be exactly that?

Well - on the virgin website - it clearly states "no limits", directly under which it says, "but fair use - not more than 40 GB's/month - if you go over this, we'll cut your data".

• Advertisement

Well - on the virgin website - it clearly states "no limits", directly under which it says, "but fair use - not more than 40 GB's/month - if you go over this, we'll cut your data".

This is the exact wording -
    13. The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the Plans is 80GB. Should your data
    usage exceed 80GB in a billing cycle and eir Mobile considers that other users are likely to be
    adversely affected; we reserve the right to limit the data Service. eir Mobile continuously
    monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by the Customer is not
    impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large
    bandwidths over long periods).

This is the exact wording -
    13. The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the Plans is 80GB. Should your data
    usage exceed 80GB in a billing cycle and eir Mobile considers that other users are likely to be
    adversely affected; we reserve the right to limit the data Service. eir Mobile continuously
    monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by the Customer is not
    impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large
    bandwidths over long periods).

That's eir.

I hear they run a data scam anyways.
    They say 80, they mean 8 - type of thing.

I was referring to virgin.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/support-by-products/mobile/mobile-network-and-data/reached-data-spend-limit/

Edit - just checked T&C's on the text... Fair usage is 80gb per month. So you're right..... No limits actually has a limit!!

All networks have that - including three.

But it seems some actually enforce it - which is the difference.

I'm trying to find out whether Virgin enforce it or not (another poster in another thread already stated they had their data cut with Eir - for going over the limit).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/

Best deal I've seen in a long time for anyone with Virgin media for broadband or TV. Unlimited calls, texts & data (40gig fair usage) all for 5 euro per month for the first 5 months. Increases to 25 euro after 5 months. 30 day contract so cancel any Time you want. My wife, son, daughter and myself all live in the same house so we all availed of this offer.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/

Best deal I've seen in a long time for anyone with Virgin media for broadband or TV. Unlimited calls, texts & data (40gig fair usage) all for 5 euro per month for the first 5 months. Increases to 25 euro after 5 months. 30 day contract so cancel any Time you want. My wife, son, daughter and myself all live in the same house so we all availed of this offer.

I saw that on switcher.ie (plan/price comparison website).

Looks great, but again - data usage concerns me.

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE OF GETTING THEIR DATA CUT OFF WITH VIRGIN - IF THEY GO OVER THE 40 GB LIMIT???

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

If your a really low user then Lyca do one for €9pm, it's 300 texts 300mins and 1Gb data

I saw that on switcher.ie (plan/price comparison website).

Looks great, but again - data usage concerns me.

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE OF GETTING THEIR DATA CUT OFF WITH VIRGIN - IF THEY GO OVER THE 40 GB LIMIT???

I could be wrong but I think someone told me that rather than cut you off, they reduce the speed to a trickle.

I could be wrong but I think someone told me that rather than cut you off, they reduce the speed to a trickle.

They tell you that recently?

Cause there's a news article I linked somewhere just now (but from 2017), that shows that.

BUT, that doesn't happen with Three mobile.

In other words, they're the only true no limits service (I'm looking to confirm this).

Cause there's a news article I linked somewhere just now (but from 2017), that shows that.

In other words, they're the only true no limits service (I'm looking to confirm this).

I can't help you I'm afraid. I can't remember when I was told about reducing the data to a trickle. If there is a virgin media store near you I'm sure the sales person can give you accurate information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have been with meteor which is now eir with past ten yrs as a pay as you go, I lost the phone, and now found an old O2 phone in the house after one of the family members let it there way back, I am now thinking of taking up the O2 if it still exists, and am wondering what their bundles are like

• Advertisement

I moved from Three to Virgin a week ago, taking up the 5 euro per month deal. Virgin piggyback on the three network so I knew what coverage I would get in various parts Dublin and surrounding areas. Here's the kicker, the coverage is better on Virgin even though its the Three network. I'm sure what I am suggesting is probably impossible but I swear the coverage seems much better on Virgin.

Is that possible?

I moved from Three to Virgin a week ago, taking up the 5 euro per month deal. Virgin piggyback on the three network so I knew what coverage I would get in various parts Dublin and surrounding areas. Here's the kicker, the coverage is better on Virgin even though its the Three network. I'm sure what I am suggesting is probably impossible but I swear the coverage seems much better on Virgin.

Is that possible?

5 euro a month deal is only available to existing virgin customers.

How'd you get it immediately with a switch from three?

5 euro a month deal is only available to existing virgin customers.

How'd you get it immediately with a switch from three?

I have Virgin broadband. The four of us in the family got the 5 euro deal because we have Virgin broadband

On To Virgin live chat this morning. Here is what they said about going over the 40 gig limit
    "Just so you are aware, even though there is a 40gb cap, your data is fully unlimited. If you reach that cap you will not be charged for data usage, you can continue to use data free of charge. You can always track your data usage on your phone via settings. For example, if you have an android phone just open settings, click on connections and the data usage."

Do you know if the issues were resolved with not being able to receive certain texts on VM? I wonder can you renegotiate a deal after the €5 offer ends.

Do you know if the issues were resolved with not being able to receive certain texts on VM? I wonder can you renegotiate a deal after the €5 offer ends.

I'm not aware of any issues receiving texts.

Contact is a 30 day contract. You can cancel when the 5 euro deal ends in 5 months time

I'm not aware of any issues receiving texts.

Contact is a 30 day contract. You can cancel when the 5 euro deal ends in 5 months time

That's great. I may take up this deal when my current Vodafone deal is over and sign up for a Spotify family plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm currently a month away from the end of my contract with Vodafone and thinking of going to Eir's sim only plan and tying it in with my broadband plan (also up for renewal soon) to get both at a cheaper rate. This would reduce the cost of the mobile plan to a tenner a month.

The one thing that always worries me with Eir (from bitter experience) is the customer service and back office operations. The products themselves are grand, the service is generally fine, but when things go wrong it's time to get Comreg involved...

I know there's been a lot of those sort of issues in the last few months but is it worth a punt (can always end after 30 days), or are there any better offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Have a 6gb per month deal which is pretty useless as it expires after only 2 weeks,need to find a better deal but so far can't find anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

How do I sign up to the 5euro per month deal from my now 20 euro per month, I only use phone maybe once a week at most or when I am out of home

Advertisement