Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification required on moderation

Options
  • 30-07-2019 3:38pm

Hello,

Just a follow on to the thread that was closed regarding over zealous moderation. I don't want to get into a discussion, I would just like some clarification from a mod or two if possible.

On Boards everyone is entitled to respect.

That is not entirely true is it? You only have to look at the Donald Trump thread and you will see that swathes of his supporters are decried as idiots and much worse. Also homophobia/transphobia/xenophobia accusations are thrown about with reckless abandon and aren't challenged
    We will not allow users to post things like some of the nonsense I have had the misfortune to read on this thread. Referring to other humans as "it" is vile and disgusting and those of you who suggested this or rowed in behind the suggestion should take a long hard look at yourselves. That "level" of discussion is not welcome here.

If that is the official opinion of Boards.ie and not just the moderator, then absolutely. I would just like clarification that calling a biological man a "he" can be a bannable offence
    This thread started out as a complaint about a moderator's on-thread direction but has degenerated into a thread of hate-filled, entitled whining and I've had enough of both reading it and giving it air time.

Referring to posters as hate-filled, entitled whining is very disrespectful and I would like to see examples of such. I haven't seen any.
    Your discomfort with having to choose an appropriate word to use is nothing in comparison to the pain that reading it will cause a transgender member of the site.

Again, does this duty of care extend to any other groups? I see travellers get a hard time, trump supporters and practically any other group that doesn't align as left leaning.
    We're as fair as we can be on the site and allow discussions on pretty much anything provided it's not illegal or likely to land us in legal hot water.

Discuss any issues you like provided they are discussed within site rules and the forum charter.

It seems you mean discuss any issue as long as the discussion goes the way we want it to.[/quote]
    Boards has always been a site of inclusivity and protective of LGBT members as much as possible, this is not new. Therefore when speaking about a trans person specifically, use their preferred pronoun if it's known or a gender neutral one (they/their) if it is not. Deliberately using what the trans person would consider the incorrect pronoun for them is to be considered being a dick in contravention of the site rules.

Again, if that is the definitive Boards.ie stance on the matter, ok.
    You are not being asked to change your beliefs or your thoughts, to use pronouns that make you uncomfortable or to stop discussing news items involving transgender people; you are simply being asked to afford a minimum amount of respect to the transgender community as a whole or any transgender individual when talking about them on this site.

That is patently incorrect.

Again, I don't want a conversation where people pile on, I would just like clarification.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement