Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relative got scammed online - can they get their money back?

Options
  • 30-07-2019 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance.

A older relative of mine ordered about €150 worth of products from a UK website.
    The products never arrived.
    The website has an email address, contact form and phone number. There is no reply from the email address and contact form and the phone number sounds as if its disconnected (relative is not very tech savvy).
    They have a twitter and instagram that have not been updated in several weeks.
    The items were bought on a debit card.

Obviously they've been scammed but does anyone have any ideas as to how they could get back their money?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Relative......sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    The items were bought on a debit card.

Obviously they've been scammed but does anyone have any ideas as to how they could get back their money?

TIA.

Ring your card provider and tell them you order stuff online that has not arrived, the website is not resonding to queries and ask them to raise a chargeback again the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They should contact their bank regarding a charge back on the debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I understand that there is a delay between a credit card transaction and the vendor getting paid by the CC company but how does chargeback work when a debit card is involved?

Say I'm a dodgy vendor so I take lots of orders which I have no intention of fulfiling and insist on payment by debit card which puts the money straight into my bank account. I then transfer the money to a different bank account, say owned by my business partner or my girlfriend or even me under a false name. How can the banks do a chargeback on my now empty account and refund the people who paid for the orders I never fulfilled if I've already moved the dosh and they have no hope of getting me to stump up the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The chargeback works for both but there are time limits and some banks will initially not do it so you need to press them. I think sometimes bank staff aren't aware of it.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Contact the bank. They should be able to get a refund. It is not as easy as if they paid with a credit card but they should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Miaireland wrote: »
    Contact the bank. They should be able to get a refund. It is not as easy as if they paid with a credit card but they should get it.

Not sure of all banks, but with AIB, you have the same rights with a Visa-debit and visa-Credit cards

coylemj wrote: »
    How can the banks do a chargeback on my now empty account and refund the people who paid for the orders I never fulfilled if I've already moved the dosh and they have no hope of getting me to stump up the money?

That's a "problem" for the bank that acquirered the transaction, where a merchant has folded, they are liable for chargebacks. There is a reason it can be "difficult" to get a CC machine. Acquirers have a large risk associated with their merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The equal protection for debit and credit cards is legislative, not bank-specific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I thought charge backs were only done on credit cards.
    Will be ringing the bank tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Relative......sure....

If you have nothing helpful to add, then don’t post.

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement