Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive advice

Options
  • 30-07-2019 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I recently built my PC based around a Ryzen 5 2600 and just used a Samsung SSD that I had to hand. Thing is, it's only 128GB so I need to make a decision about what to do.

Attached is a snapshot of the performance. When I look at other drives, it's not fantastic, but it blows my old HDD out of the water!!

The Samsung EVO looks the business, but I cannot justify the price for it. As I see it, I have two choices. I can get a WD Blue 500GB M.2 drive and rebuild -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073SBX6TY/

Or for the same price I can stick with the Samsung 128GB as the C drive and get a 2TB HDD for data.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B013QFRS2S

Any thoughts/suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Check out StoreMI.
    It lets you merge a small SSD with a HDD to create a hybrid drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Check out StoreMI.
    It lets you merge a small SSD with a HDD to create a hybrid drive.

Interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If you have Samsung(model?), you should have "Magician" available. There is "Rapid Mode" - pretty same tech, that use RAM for cache to speed up drive (limited to SATA drives).
    Problem with this tech is old as world - RAM is volatile memory - in event of power outage you loose everything that was not saved, slim, but still might occur.

So really question is, what you are short for - speed or storage? Might be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

If you have Samsung(model?), you should have "Magician" available. There is "Rapid Mode" - pretty same tech, that use RAM for cache to speed up drive (limited to SATA drives).
    Problem with this tech is old as world - RAM is volatile memory - in event of power outage you loose everything that was not saved, slim, but still might occur.

So really question is, what you are short for - speed or storage? Might be both.

I can’t be sure to be honest. I know that sounds daft, but it’s a 2.5” Lenovo branded Samsung from an old laptop and I couldn’t find any of the numbers on it as models.

I’m short for storage, need space for downloading stuff and installing applications/games.

I can’t be sure to be honest. I know that sounds daft, but it’s a 2.5” Lenovo branded Samsung from an old laptop and I couldn’t find any of the numbers on it as models.

I’m short for storage, need space for downloading stuff and installing applications/games.
    Well, looks like you short for both... or actually for three thing - budget as well :D

For downloads you would be OK just with HDD, but game and apps you should have on SSD.
    Running third party soft, suggested by K.O.Kiki, would get you out for starter, but with some risk and performance is not guaranteed.
    Few more things about it: Secure Boot is NOT enabled, JAVA

Personally i would go for SSD, with future intention to get HDD for storage.

• Advertisement

SSD, something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The Samsung EVO looks the business, but I cannot justify the price for it.

Which EVO were you looking at, and what was the price?

You will find that NVMe drives are double the price of SATA drives, but that's because they are so much faster.

Here are my drives and their performance:

C drive: Samsung 960 EVO (500Gb) NVMe = replaced now by 970EVO, ~£110
    D drive: Seagate Barracuda (2TB) SATA HDD = around £50 everywhere
    E drive: Crucial MX500 (1TB) SATA SSD = £98.50 on amazon.

487042.png487043.png487044.png

If you want the speed of an NVMe drive for less money, I would recommend this one.

Advertisement