Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of soil

Options
  • 30-07-2019 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

hello, i got my garden done last yr and the I was told that they were using 2 types of soil. One more "sandy" where the grass is to support water draining through. The second, more "fertile" in 2 large ground flower beds.

One of these flower bed runs across an area with no sun and very humidy. I noticed that here the soild is always very wet, its very lumpy almost like clay consistency. And this is both 10cm deep or at surface.

On the other flower bed, there is sun. The soil is dryier, but i noticed that the consistency is the same as above.

So...is this a problem when i am trying to grown fruits and flowers? If yes, how can I turn this around and fix it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Hey I take it your concerned about soil been to wet ?? If so adding some grit to the soil as you plant should help with that. Is the area getting waterlogged??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭larbakium

Hey I take it your concerned about soil been to wet ?? If so adding some grit to the soil as you plant should help with that. Is the area getting waterlogged??

hi. thanks. waterlogged, no i would not say so. it does get odd small patches of growing moss. thats about it.
    so i should look to remove the soli and just fill it with mlti purpose compost or some better soil ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just mix compost in as you plant and see how it goes. If it's not waterlogged then I wouldn't be to worried

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What colour is the lumpy bed soil?

Black is good. Grey is bad.

Fixing bad soil by adding compost is difficult, you can change the macro consistency to some extent but the fertility will still be poor.

How is stuff growing in it so far?

here is how it looks like. this is after i gave a good stir in the soil.
    i am searching hard for plants that like shade and wet. i have 2 that look ok. the others i just planted 1 wk ago. early to say.

my attempt to plant garlic and herbs before was not great. garlic picked up a bit but never develop further then a size or a marble.

• Advertisement

here is how it looks like. this is after i gave a good stir in the soil.
    i am searching hard for plants that like shade and wet. i have 2 that look ok. the others i just planted 1 wk ago. early to say.

my attempt to plant garlic and herbs before was not great. garlic picked up a bit but never develop further then a size or a marble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when did you plant the garlic? most people plant it in the winter.

when did you plant the garlic? most people plant it in the winter.

January.. but its not about those garlics. Its about the soil quality, if its normal the clay aspect. I will find something else to plant there :)

Advertisement