Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Turbos

Options
  • 30-07-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

hi all,
    I'm think of getting a decent direct drive chain turbo to use over the winter. Something that would be able to connect to zwift or similar.
    Needs to be quiet enough at the old house isn't big and it will be early morning rides or late night.
    Which are the best value ?
    Or should I spend the money on upgrades for the bike. Better wheels etc.
    Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

I’ve had a kickr last few years and found it great for building strength on the bike, it’s convenient and pairs with plenty of apps, I use TrainerRoad. The noise level is fine. You can find reconditioned warrantied ones on wahoos website too. The long rides are a killer but get you in great shape for race day on the road. Best of luck however you decide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tacx neo is top of the pile but expensive, worth it though.

the flux is cheaper but lots of quality issues being reported, even with the newer revvised improved edition

the new elite is getting great reviews.

if you do/plan on training a lot indoors a smart trainer is an easy choice in my eyes, much more effective training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

You going to get many different replies

In the pic you see what I consider a smart trainer...
    At the end it comes down do you want something to train on . Or something to entertain you.
    If it's something to train the one in the pic has worked well for 5 years minoura and did cost something like 120 euro and has done some 40 000 k
    In the first 2 years I did have some slippage from time to time but the more it got worn in the better it got.
    If it's noise as in your case you are concerned than stack trainer would be an option I would look at also you don't wear out tyres and doesn't have to take off the wheels. ( I use conti ultrasport and I still get loads of miles out of it Road and turbo
    And I get them for 12 euro a tyre)

An direct drive makes sense if you keep the bike on the turbo all the time. Otherwise me thinks it's a hassle

The one thing I will say there is next to 0 correlation between cost of turbo and becoming a better cyclist.

And if noise is the issue stack probably the most quiet.

And of course by all means if you think a fancy turbo and using an entertainment screen makes you train more go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

I have a standard turbo and the Garmin speed and cadance sensor on the bike.
    When I use the zwift app on my phone it won't connect with any of these. Or my heart rate monitor.
    If I could get these to work or connect to my laptop on zwift then I should be fine. Is there anything I need to get them all working together.
    And can you chrome cast it to your telly. I don't have a smart TV
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

dickidy wrote: »
    I have a standard turbo and the Garmin speed and cadance sensor on the bike.
    When I use the zwift app on my phone it won't connect with any of these. Or my heart rate monitor.
    If I could get these to work or connect to my laptop on zwift then I should be fine. Is there anything I need to get them all working together.
    And can you chrome cast it to your telly. I don't have a smart TV
    Thanks

What sort of phone? Specifics help.
    How did you tru to connect them to your laptop?
    What sort of chest strap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

My phone is a HTC and all my stuff is Garmin.
    If I get an ANT and dongle for my laptop will it pick up the devices

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

I invested in the Tacx Neo at the beginning of 2018 and haven't looked back.

It is expensive but well worth it. I can train away in ERG mode on Zwift with herself sitting on the couch beside me watching TV. The sound is very low on it.

With the Neo if you are using a Thru Axle frame then you would need to buy the attachment to allow those frames to fit.

All in all I have had Zero issues with the Neo.

Advertisement