Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel insurance without health insurance

• 30-07-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Complicated-ish situation so looking for some advice.

I'm heading on a three week trip to Asia in 10 or so days and I'm stopping in Dubai on the way back to live/work for a year or two. I had private health insurance through work - cover with which is ending this coming Friday. Most travel insurance providers I can find and know of will only cover me if I have private health insurance in my resident country, which I now will not have.

I could buy international health insurance (with VHI for example), but that's almost €1300 for the year, and once I get to Dubai, my new employer there is required to cover me anyway.

Most providers also seem to only cover roundtrips - if they start and end in the same country - and again I won't fit this requirement.

Any advice/options appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Complicated-ish situation so looking for some advice.

I'm heading on a three week trip to Asia in 10 or so days and I'm stopping in Dubai on the way back to live/work for a year or two. I had private health insurance through work - cover with which is ending this coming Friday. Most travel insurance providers I can find and know of will only cover me if I have private health insurance in my resident country, which I now will not have.

I could buy international health insurance (with VHI for example), but that's almost €1300 for the year, and once I get to Dubai, my new employer there is required to cover me anyway.

Most providers also seem to only cover roundtrips - if they start and end in the same country - and again I won't fit this requirement.

Any advice/options appreciated!

Can you extend for a month the health insurance which is ending on Friday? If they won’t give you a month then sign up to extend for a year paying by monthly DD then cancel once the month is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've gotten insurance through AIB when I didn't have separate health cover and my trip started and ended in different countries. Was a complete non-issue, it's just more expensive if you don't have your own health policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

anacc wrote: »
    Can you extend for a month the health insurance which is ending on Friday? If they won’t give you a month then sign up to extend for a year paying by monthly DD then cancel once the month is up.
    Just checked my work policy again and they do seem to mention continuing the policy so I'll get on to them tomorrow!
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've gotten insurance through AIB when I didn't have separate health cover and my trip started and ended in different countries. Was a complete non-issue, it's just more expensive if you don't have your own health policy.
    Just checked AIB there, never even knew they did travel insurance. Not a bad price either!

Advertisement