Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assaults in Courtown - see OP for mod warning - updated 01/08/19

Options
  • 30-07-2019 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

The Irish media have been skirting around how to report this. The reporting started off with no details of the offence being reported due to the sensitive nature of the case, to it finally being reported that it is an alleged rape case, but still with no details of the perpetrators. Hmm?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-manhunt-after-three-teenage-girls-allege-rape-and-sex-assaults-in-courtown-harbour-38359579.html

Mod warning 30/07/19
    Beasty wrote: »
    Do not speculate over the perpetrators of very serious crimes. If the Guards have not released descriptions they have reason. Speculation here can be prejudicial to any case

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

Warning 01/08/19
    Beasty wrote: »
    In the same way there is to be no speculation over the perpetrators, please do not speculate over the victims. They are entitled to complete anonymity

Any questions, please PM me. Do not respond to this warning in-thread

Warning 02/08/19 PM
    dudara wrote:
    Right - it’s time to call a halt to this back and forth, left vs right, nonsense.

The next post better be on topic and linked to the alleged sexual assaults. If your next post is going to reduce the signal to noise ratio, then don’t post.

Have a lovely weekend

dudara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A tourist area. Gardai making enquiries I suppose and their mole in RTE will reveal all when he's told.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dante7 wrote: »
    The Irish media have been skirting around how to report this. The reporting started off with no details of the offence being reported due to the sensitive nature of the case, to it finally being reported that it is an alleged rape case, but still with no details of the perpetrators. Hmm?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-manhunt-after-three-teenage-girls-allege-rape-and-sex-assaults-in-courtown-harbour-38359579.html

I would imagine the age of the girls is a factor in how it's being handled by the gardai. It says in that report that they have no description of the people involved so I wouldn't jump to conclusions but it's unusual that three girls are attacked and there is no description :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

The guards and the media obviously don’t want to release a description for whatever reason - draw your own conclusions.

Apparently the guards said that they haven’t properly interviewed the victims yet so they don’t have a description but find I that hard to believe 48 hours after the incident.

Regardless of the fallout it would cause on both sides of the PC divide, surely community safety should take precedence - i.e get out a detailed description of the gang so that locals can be on the lookout.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CageWager wrote: »
    The guards and the media obviously don’t want to release a description for whatever reason - draw your own conclusions.

Apparently the guards said that they haven’t properly interviewed the victims yet so they don’t have a description but find I that hard to believe 48 hours after the incident.

Regardless of the fallout it would cause on both sides of the PC divide, surely community safety should take precedence - i.e get out a detailed description of the gang so that locals can be on the lookout.

Perhaps they feel the description would send the mob after the wrong sort of people.

Oh **** did I spoil the dogwhistle of this thread. **** I’m sorry lads.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

Settle down lads. Let's not jump to conclusions.

Just as likely to be some ginger pale face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

in no way meant to shift responsibility from the attackers but what were a group of 14 year olds girls doing out in 12:15am...?

were they hanging out with other lots of other teens ? from Dublin were they staying at the caravan parks?

where is "the burrow" south of the town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

No matter who did it, it will be suspended sentences all round. This country is so so rotten in every institution.

Anto Lynch wrote: »

they didnt want to move again so they decided attacking girls would be a good move? is that what you are suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dante7 wrote: »

The perpetrators are predators, that's all we need to know. We've had enough cases like this in Ireland from Irish people without having to get carried away with foreigners too if that's what you're implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Overheal wrote: »
    Well don’t keep it to yourself...
    Perhaps they feel the description would send the mob after the wrong sort of people.

Oh **** did I spoil the dogwhistle of this thread. **** I’m sorry lads.

Damn. This must be a new best time for you. Not 5 posts in and you’re already at it. Bravo good sir. Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was the other thread nuked ?

Saw this early today when the Gardai were looking for information about an incident that couldn't be discussed due to the sensitive nature of the case .

Absolutely sickening stuff one raped and several sexual assaulted

mad muffin wrote: »
    Damn. This must be a new best time for you. Not 5 posts in and you’re already at it. Bravo good sir. Bravo.

Holy ironic virtue-signaling, Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Holy ironic virtue-signaling, Batman

Oh I’m not virtue signaling. I calling you out. Calling you out for the divisive person you are. And a mod to boot…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bit weird that the various news articles aren’t giving descriptions of the perpetrators

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Of course we need descriptions. We don't need people shouting about potential foreigners being involved before we know anything at all!

You can’t sit scared kids down and interrogate them for descriptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

To be looking for people but not giving descriptions has happened before with sexual assaults.

There was an alleged sexual assault reported about a year or so ago, with a description of the attacker released; a man in a hoodie with rubber gloves. No other details.

There is definitely a bias in reporting for fear of stoking racism. I don't agree with it. At this stage of this particular investigation it's too early to jump to conclusions.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Of course we need descriptions. We don't need people shouting about potential foreigners being involved before we know anything at all!

We need the following if possible

CCTV images
    Identikit Photos
    Hair color
    Clothes
    Skin tone

As much info as possible is required.

It could be vital to tracking down a suspect.

Well let me be the first to say I hope these girls get the help they need. I can't imagine what they're going through and how they'll continue to suffer. Whoever does this to a kid deserves their balls chopped off.

CCTV images
    Identikit Photos
    Hair color
    Clothes
    Skin tone

Of course but I'm not surprised the girls involved haven't been questioned yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

where is "the burrow" south of the town?

The burrow is the road that leads you down from the harbour to the beach and forest. It's very badly lit at night time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not speculate over the perpetrators of very serious crimes. If the Guards have not released descriptions they have reason. Speculation here can be prejudicial to any case

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I spend time in my folks house a stone's throw from where this happened. And I have a young daughter as do some of my brothers. In fact one of my cousins is down in the house now with her young children. I had to ring my mother to find out if they were ok.

Dirty bastards. I genuinely hope they are dealt with before the Gardai catch them.

Correction - ok not quite a stone's throw but still only a short walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

splinter65 wrote: »
    You can’t sit scared kids down and interrogate them for descriptions.

This happened Sunday. Its almost Wednesday. They'd want to get a move on so. What is it they say about the first 24 hours being the most important in a criminal case?

The way this case is being reported is really odd.

CCTV images
    Identikit Photos
    Hair color
    Clothes
    Skin tone

That's assuming that a) the AGS wants to endanger the public by turning them into vigilantes, searching for someone who matches the description and b) that the release of said information wouldn't simply cause the perpetrator to go into hiding or switch tactics or appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

what about the authorities having to be absolutely certain of their facts before they go after anyone.
    last thing anyone needs is lies and tall tales.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The Gardai are dealing with children here and they will take days yet to even establish what actually happened never mind get descriptions of alleged attackers.
    Jesus Christ the racism here hidden behind a facade of concern is deplorable.

Have a look at how few actually expressed sympathy for the victim.

The burrow is the road that leads you down from the harbour to the beach and forest. It's very badly lit at night time.
    so north of the town

Bit weird that the various news articles aren’t giving descriptions of the perpetrators

It's not at all wierd
    In fact if there was descriptions given out I might be a bit worried. It would mean Gardai had no idea of the suspects.
    You will find very very few cases where descriptions of suspects are reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Fann Linn wrote: »
    This happened Sunday. Its almost Wednesday. They'd want to get a move on so. What is it they say about the first 24 hours being the most important in a criminal case?

The whole area was cordoned off Sunday morning with Gardai collecting evidence. Just because they haven't released information doesn't mean they are doing nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement