Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assaults in Courtown - see OP for mod warning - updated 01/08/19

Options

Comments

It’s important because we want the suspects to be apprehended ASAP and to not give descriptions leads to unwise speculation

Unwise speculation by whom? You are the one on here speculating.
    It's not the job of the Gardai to keep you or anyone else, other than victims, updated on their investigation.
    You will find little to no details of sexual assaults reported, & you will not find detailed descriptions of suspects.
    Unless AGS need your help for something they won't be keeping you in the loop of their case .

I’m not getting into what locals are saying

Who cares what rubbish gossipy little towns are spouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Overheal wrote: »
    You know what I find really odd?

You've posted in here loads too.
    But you just pick on the posters you disagree with.
    What is your problemo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Do/would you allow your 14/15 year old daughter wander around town at midnight?

That doesn’t seem very late. When I first started going to discos at 13, they ended at 1am and you’d be hanging around for a bit afterwards. My parents weren’t the most permissive either. It was just fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

That doesn’t seem very late. When I first started going to discos at 13, they ended at 1am

Never heard anything like this, what part of Ireland was this taking place and when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bubblypop wrote: »
    Who cares what rubbish gossipy little towns are spouting?

The left liberal d4 attitude summed up

Well done

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    Never heard anything like this, what part of Ireland was this taking place and when?

Really? West of Ireland. Late ‘90s. Won’t be more specific. I’m kinda surprised at people being surprised at teenagers being out at midnight. There was the disco in my local town which finished at 1am. Then there was a bigger one two towns over. Buses went to that town from a wide area. It was very popular and had a large capacity. My whole year went to it frequently. That one ended at 12:30am, I think but you’d probably only get on the bus home at 1am. It’d be 1:30am or so when we’d get home.

I didn’t think this was out of the ordinary at all. It still happens, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Energizer Discos, which I think is still a thing or was up until recently would have Disco's for 1st - 2nd years and end at midnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That doesn’t seem very late. When I first started going to discos at 13, they ended at 1am and you’d be hanging around for a bit afterwards. My parents weren’t the most permissive either. It was just fairly standard.

13? Your parents didn’t give a Ballix about ye obviously

13? Your parents didn’t give a Ballix about ye obviously

We all turned out just fine. Pretty much everyone in my year went to these things. What, we all had parents that didn’t get a shit? Hardly. They trusted us. I find it really surprising that this is considered unusual. I thought I had a pretty normal adolescence.

• Advertisement

It is still going, there's one in two weeks

https://eventmaster.ie/event/BR3H23c8j?fbclid=IwAR20CNKJuZTDRSL_41oCCwjRVUALvnAmGprBRElFUU6uFDC9J2_WTiNNOKA

1st, 2nd and 3rd Year Students(13 - 15 year olds)
    9pm - 12pm(I'm fairly sure that should be AM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Nope!

tuxy wrote: »
    It is still going, there's one in two weeks

https://eventmaster.ie/event/BR3H23c8j?fbclid=IwAR20CNKJuZTDRSL_41oCCwjRVUALvnAmGprBRElFUU6uFDC9J2_WTiNNOKA

1st, 2nd and 3rd Year Students(13 - 15 year olds)
    9pm - 12pm(I'm fairly sure that should be AM)

Thank you! I knew I wasn’t insane. Our 1am disco from back in the day might be 12am now but still. I was very much doubting that late discos were a thing of the past. Adolescents are no different now to twenty years ago. They want to go out!

Personally speaking as a parent when our eldest (girl) hits 13 there will be a curfew of 9pm

I’d go midnight when she is 16.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Nope!

What, like, none of ye went out as young teenagers? I find it hard to believe that my hometown and the surrounding towns in a conservative corner of Ireland were some kind of outliers. When you were 14, you were happy to sit in every Friday evening? The shift held no interest? That is honestly so weird to me. Sounds depressing. I have so many happy and funny memories of that time in my life.

The Energizer one has been going for about 20 years now.
    If people think it's so reckless then is it just pure luck that it's considered a safe event for teenagers?

What, like, none of ye went out as young teenagers? I find it hard to believe that my hometown and the surrounding towns in a conservative corner of Ireland were some kind of outliers. When you were 14, you were happy to sit in every Friday evening? The shift held no interest? That is honestly so weird to me. Sounds depressing. I have so many happy and funny memories of that time in my life.

No!:)
    However my time was the early 80s, Dublin! Mad isn't it

There would be zero chance a 13 year old would be at a d-i-s-c-o till after 1am.

I'm assuming these were supervised, was it a school thing with parents, nuns and priests breathing down yer neck?

That feels like a new thread in AH - I'd be interested in others experiences.
    Go on start it/

PS I wasn't from a holy joe family, just in case it comes across like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Beasty wrote: »
    Why are you so obsessed with getting descriptions? If the guards have suspects there is no need to issue descriptions. Indeed doing so may result in the pointing of fingers at people who are completely innocent. Equally any "suspects" would have a right to a fair trial. Putting all their details up in public at this stage may be prejudicial to any prosecution. You seem to think something is unusual when it's very easy to come up with valid reasons for the way it's been handled

I would suggest leaving all this to the professionals who actually know what they are doing

the best post so far on this matter, let the gardai do there job and let them get the correct facts for a prosecution, remember the sad lucan trial how much effort was made to get a conviction.

The left liberal d4 attitude summed up

Well done

It's my attitude thanks, me, being from a small rural town in Ireland. We know what they are like.
    Unless your contacts are on the investigation team, then whatever they say is speculation & gossip.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    No!:)
    However my time was the early 80s, Dublin! Mad isn't it

There would be zero chance a 13 year old would be at a d-i-s-c-o till after 1am.

I'm assuming these were supervised, was it a school thing with parents, nuns and priests breathing down yer neck?

That feels like a new thread in AH - I'd be interested in others experiences.
    Go on start it/

PS I wasn't from a holy joe family, just in case it comes across like that

I’m not sure who organised it but there were never any adults present. :eek:

• Advertisement

Regardless of our differences on this thread

I think we all agree that when serious crime occurs

the guards should give detailed descriptions of the suspects ASAP

with as much detail as possible so that they can be apprehended.

Certainly no PC millennial or woke media attitudes should frustrate/deny the correct info going to the public.

Certainly no PC millennial or woke media attitudes should frustrate/deny the correct info going to the public.

No.
    We don't all agree that at all. There is no need for gardai to keep the general public informed about the investigation unless they need information. At which time they will ask for the information they require.

I think what we would all agree with is allowing the Gardai to do their Investigations without interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

so the place opened up itself and closed itself down at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

jesus your mad for news/gossip. you wouldnt make much of a cop, jumping in with the two feet, every guard in ireland knows the local goings on and who is up to what.

:eek:!

That's mad, Ted

It's very strange indeed, from the press:

A garda spokesman has 'refused to discuss any details' of what happened but 'continued to ask people for help'.

It's a bit like loosing a watch on a bus, then asking the bus folks:
    "has anyone seen this _____ branded watch, with a ____ ____ strap (not the other type), and it features a nice ____ and a bright _____ also on it...."

So have you seen it?

Currently they want reports from people who were in that area on Sunday night. That's what they need help with, if you were not there you can't help them.
    If they need more help they will ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did you get the idea that we all agree that descriptions should be given ASAP?

You have a lot to learn about Garda investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thank you! I knew I wasn’t insane. Our 1am disco from back in the day might be 12am now but still. I was very much doubting that late discos were a thing of the past. Adolescents are no different now to twenty years ago. They want to go out!

Or 45 years ago. :D
    Usually when there are minimal to no details on the perpetrators of such crimes, a reasonable surmise can be made. Predictable.

Examples please?

The long running event I'm taking about always had lots of supervision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

There's a huge difference between attending a disco where there are adults present and roaming around in groups after dark, now they may have pulled the wool over their parents eyes and told them they were going to a disco, or they were staying at each others friends places, of course that stuff happens, but this attitude of permissiveness in regards to gangs of teens roaming around late is why there is widespread and serious anti-social behaviour problems around the country, and how awful tragedies like what happened to these poor girls can happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement