Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks a mill B, P & C really looking forward to it & nervous at the same time :)

Haha C i am under STRICT orders to be there by 1.30 ;) I am getting a bit better with my time keeping as I'm sure S would agree:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks a mill B, P & C really looking forward to it & nervous at the same time :)

Haha C i am under STRICT orders to be there by 1.30 ;) I am getting a bit better with my time keeping as I'm sure S would agree:eek:

Eh....yes :cool:

Up until now i have written all my logs using my mobile phone which is extremely tedious at the best of times! So i am really happy to say i now have a laptop to update my log...now this is really good news for me as it means i can write as long as i want on my log without getting frustrated, which in turn may not be great news for anyone reading it:eek: This also explains why i always give individual replies to all the lovely comments on my log as my phone would only allow that! Now don't get me wrong each & every one of you are quite special in your own way but going forward i will be collectively replying like everyone else :p

Tues 21st Jan - 1hr Easy
    1:00 - 6.28mi - 9:37min/mi

1st early run of the week. Nothing much to report!

Weds 22nd Jan W/U,2*4mins@6:55/7:05,90secs off, 4*60secs@6:10/6:20, 2mins off

4mins - 6:53min/mi - 4mins - 6:56min/mi
    1min - 6:19, 1min - 6:00, 1min - 5:39, 1min - 5:57

Again i did this session on my lunch. Was actually lucky to fit it in here because we have been snowed under in work since coming back in January but as always on a Wednesday i was thrilled with the distraction of a session.
    I forgot my running belt which annoyed me as i like my music for these sessions so i checked my locker & was actually quite creative in making one for myself!
    Set off at a nice pace & launched into the 4mins, the 1st one felt good, very controlled then the recovery. The 2nd 4mins also felt good nothing too bad at all but somehow i kept running thinking my recovery of 90secs was still part of the 4mins! When i realized my mistake i had to decide quickly if i was going to do 3mins of a recovery & only 3* 60secs@6:10/20 or just keep going as i was supposed to, so that's exactly what i did! It was tough keeping the pace & i was thrilled when the 2min recovery came around but i actually loved it & the rest of the fast mins
    Other than the f*ck up i really enjoyed this session.

Thurs 23rd - 45mins Easy
    45:17 - 4.79mi - 9:28min/mi

Nice easy pace.

Fri 24th Jan - 45mins V Easy
    45:16 - 4.49mi - 10:05min/mi

I decided as this was only 45mins i would do it at lunchtime instead of getting up early! I was actually really grateful of the lie on as i was feeling a bit zapped with work etc. It was colder than i expected but it was nice to get out of the stuffy office! I found it quite hard to stick to the easier paces & felt like i was going way slower than i actually was :confused:

Sat 3miles Easy with 5*20sec strides
    33:55 - 3.42mi - 9:55min/mi

My god the procrastination was unbelievable for this run!!! I really think it was because it was much shorter than my usual Sat run! Eventually i went out & just ran a local loop of 3 miles & did the strides in the park beside me! Once i had the strides done i felt the excitement kick in for tomorrows race:D

Sun 26th Jan - Raheny 5mile - Chip time 34:13 - PB:D
    7:22, 6:49, 6:46, 6:49, 6:25

Would it even be race day if i didn't have some kind of drama:P
    My grandson stayed the night to let his mam & dad have a well deserved night out. Now he is usually a brilliant sleeper but as i had a race the next day he decided to change that!! 4.30AM he SCREAMED the house down! I went in to get him, gave him his soother, got him drink, changed his nappy... nope he wanted to chat & basically just not sleep:eek: Eventually i got him back asleep at about 5.30 & got back into my bed for a few hours sleep! Up again then at 9 with him but thankfully didn't feel too exhausted, he's lucky he's so bloody cute:P

I put Raheny into my google maps & agreed to meet S when i was near there. I wasn't really feeling nervous about the race but my god i had major anxiety about getting there! I am so, so bad with driving anywhere i don't know, it really is ridiculous:o I picked S up and he guided me to a parking spot not too far. We walked & chatted to the bag drop. The plan was 7min/mi for the 1st 3 then see how i feel. Last time i ran this 5mile was 2 years ago when i was literally just a hobby runner, running every run way too fast - my time then was 38:29!
    I set off on my warm up with S giving me clear instructions of a loop that is exactly 1 mile & yep i even managed to go the wrong way for that:rolleyes:
    Then i did a few strides & actually felt quite excited about getting going!

Mile 1 - I tried to move up as much as i could but it was so tight i just stood where i had room, i think i was maybe about half way back but i am so small i literally couldn't see a thing. Off we went - my god it was so congested, i felt myself getting a bit frustrated with trying to get by people but knew i needed to relax & not waste too much energy! A guy just ahead of me spit in front of me & all i could think was... you are so lucky that did not land on my vapourflys! I checked my watch & seen i was a bit behind time 7:22, a few secs would have been ok but 22 seemed a bit much!

Mile 2 - I decided to just focus on the rest of the race, nothing i could do about the previous mile! I seemed to find a bit of a rhythm now so was happy enough. Checked my watch & it was under the 7mins so i was happy with this too but wanted to make sure i didn't push too hard too soon. Clocked this mile at 6:49

Mile 3 - Again i really felt i was crusing along here, in fact i began to doubt myself, is this too easy? Where's the pain i felt in the park run from quite early on? When am i going to think i'm gonna die? I literally had to push all these thoughts out of my head & decided to just enjoy this feeling, this feeling of being very much in control of this race & it felt amazing! Clocked this mile at 6:46

Mile 4 - Into the park, i remembered this from last time i raced here & also remembered that i absolutely hated it!! It felt like it went on forever till you got your turn to run down the other side...defo not the nicest part of this race. At this stage i was starting to pass a good few people i had my eye on from the start, this gave me an added boost to my confidence that the plan was working, that maybe they had taken off too fast from the start & now i was catching them... Clocked this mile at 6:49

Mile 5 - Was thrilled to be heading out of the park, i knew i didn't have too far to go, again wondering when this pain was going to hit! That made my mind up, i needed to just push on! I felt i had it in me & again could see people wilting at this stage. 35mins would have been amazing for me but to think if i gave it my all i could possibly go under that made me determined to finish this well. Off i went as fast as my little legs could take me, passing S at this stage who gave me an encouraging shout out! Down the straight then once i went around that corner i sprinted as fast as i could, a fella actually started sprinting at the same time & was literally on my shoulder! I just thought to myself challenge accepted & proceeded to race him to the finish - gotta love a bit of competitiveness! Clocked this mile at 6:25 with the biggest grin ever!!!

S was there & asked my time, he was absolutely thrilled for me! I hugged him & thanked him because without all his help & encouragement i wouldn't have done it:)

We headed off to a local pub, lucozade for me to celebrate my PB! and we meet up with C for a few drinks, analysis of the race & debating about many, many things:D

32.4miles for the week.

Again i am really happy with the progress i am making but most of all i am loving that i still really enjoy it all & i really look forward to what may be in store for me going forward!

Huge well done to all the boardsies who ran today, some pretty impressive stuff - yis are all deadly :pac:

hmmmmm maybe this laptop wasn't the best idea:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I’m also really looking forward to seeing what running had in store for you ! Great Pb and above all super attitude !! Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done again E. Its great following your progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Report lived up to expectations and the result even more so! Fantastic racing. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Love it. Brilliant race. Brilliant report. Well done. It's so exciting to follow you, goodness knows where you could end up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Super well done again E, you're on fire!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Niiice splits

Way to go about getting a PB. Finishing so strong. You sure don't write or run like a Granny - inspiring stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Amazing running and a great report. Huge well done, I am completely in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats a great run, and with a better start, you'd be under 34.

Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow sounds like you had a great race! Seems to me like that was a bit easy for you maybe!! Great race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Well done, smashing race and smashing last mile too.

I think the title of this thread explains everything perfectly, the early morning runs and brilliant sessions week in week out, all coming to light now. Big year ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super going E, that’s a hugely impressive run. Way to finish it out with your fastest mile, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic performance and report E! A much deserved result for what's been great training and dedication. No need to tell us that you still enjoy running - it shines through in every log update! Enjoy that PB buzz!!

Looking forward to this log taking another leap forward now with the laptop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats E. Brilliant racing and super report.

You have made unreal progress since your impressive marathon debut. Inspiring stuff but no surprise given your consistent training.
    Give my kudos to your coach too whoever he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Absolutely fantastic stuff E. Those splits, swoon. As AMK says above you've a much faster 5 mile in you. Imagine what a decent start would have done for you.

As always, was great fun to catch up with you for a chin wag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    Absolutely fantastic stuff E. Those splits, swoon. As AMK says above you've a much faster 5 mile in you. Imagine what a decent start would have done for you.

I think skyblue said it on another thread but I think some people benefited from the slow start. One of the best things to figure out as a runner in the shorter stuff is whether youre a "go out hard and hang on" or "start slowly and build into the race" type person. I suspect E might be a builder ;) although that was some progression from first to last mile!

I think skyblue said it on another thread but I think some people benefited from the slow start. One of the best things to figure out as a runner in the shorter stuff is whether youre a "go out hard and hang on" or "start slowly and build into the race" type person. I suspect E might be a builder ;) although that was some progression from first to last mile!

Yeah I did...in a way it made it a 4 mile race with a cruising flying start. Most race days we read race reports about wondering mid race how people will possibly hold their pace to the end. There was very little of that yesterday and lots of strong closings of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

So a lot of people were forced into their optimal racing strat then. V interesting.

• Advertisement

Lazare wrote: »
    So a lot of people were forced into their optimal racing strat then. V interesting.

Haha...I wouldn't say optimal but I don't think it cost them as much as their slower first miles would point to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Negative splits. Well done super racing!

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I’m also really looking forward to seeing what running had in store for you ! Great Pb and above all super attitude !! Well done !

Thanks a mill, really looking forward to the progress myself!
    Well done again E. Its great following your progress

Thanks D, likewise with your log - Sub 3 marathon:eek:
    Report lived up to expectations and the result even more so! Fantastic racing. Congrats.

Aw thanks P glad it didn't disappoint :D
    ariana` wrote: »
    Love it. Brilliant race. Brilliant report. Well done. It's so exciting to follow you, goodness knows where you could end up ;)

Thanks a mill, you've got to follow your dream or at least give it a damn good shot;)
    coogy wrote: »
    Super well done again E, you're on fire!!!!

haha thanks a mill K!
    Niiice splits

Way to go about getting a PB. Finishing so strong. You sure don't write or run like a Granny - inspiring stuff :)

Yep pretty happy with them alright!! I can tell you that i certainly don't act or feel like a granny either:pac:
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Amazing running and a great report. Huge well done, I am completely in awe.

Thanks a mill:)
    Thats a great run, and with a better start, you'd be under 34.

Congrats on the PB.

Thank you, not sure about that but i can just keep improving hopefully!
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Wow sounds like you had a great race! Seems to me like that was a bit easy for you maybe!! Great race report!

I wouldn't say easy but definitely one of my best controlled races - could i have given more sooner, who knows? I really did enjoy it though:)
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Well done, smashing race and smashing last mile too.

I think the title of this thread explains everything perfectly, the early morning runs and brilliant sessions week in week out, all coming to light now. Big year ahead!

Thanks a mill D, i really do believe that anything worth achieving in life means you have to put the work in, things usually don't just happen & for me the personal satisfaction is knowing i worked hard, not saying it always pays off because, well that's just life but when it does it's so much sweeter:P
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Super going E, that’s a hugely impressive run. Way to finish it out with your fastest mile, great to see.

Thanks a mill B, felt great seeing that last mile!
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Fantastic performance and report E! A much deserved result for what's been great training and dedication. No need to tell us that you still enjoy running - it shines through in every log update! Enjoy that PB buzz!!

Looking forward to this log taking another leap forward now with the laptop :)

Hmmm about the laptop, think i may have created a monster!! Thanks a mill A!
    Congrats E. Brilliant racing and super report.

You have made unreal progress since your impressive marathon debut. Inspiring stuff but no surprise given your consistent training.
    Give my kudos to your coach too whoever he is!

Thanks a mill, oh he has been thanked on many occasions!
    Lazare wrote: »

As always, was great fun to catch up with you for a chin wag :)

Thanks C, absolutely loved it! Was great chatting to you after too, as always a bit of craic :P

Yes it seems to be looking that way for me alright! Thanks a mill, i was so happy with that last mile:D
    Negative splits. Well done super racing!

Thanks a mill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant time and well deserved for all the effort you have put in. Fantastic start to 2020 and you should be full of confidence for the rest of the year.

Brilliant time and well deserved for all the effort you have put in. Fantastic start to 2020 and you should be full of confidence for the rest of the year.

Thanks C, looking forward to the year alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Enjoyed that read E. Brilliant PB! I'll be looking over my shoulder anxiously the next race both of us are in :pac:

Enjoyed that read E. Brilliant PB! I'll be looking over my shoulder anxiously the next race both of us are in :pac:

Thanks J, hmmm do i hear a challenge here ;) Look forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Belated congrats. Fantastic race and very well deserved.

Cheers, really enjoyed it:)

• Advertisement

Monday 27th Jan - 30min recovery run
    33:14 - 3.27mi - 10:10min/mi

This was a nice slow paced run. I was still on a high after Raheny!

I left my phone in my car for the race & never went back to get it before going to the pub. Imagine in this day & age not having your phone with you:rolleyes: I had 13 missed calls & my OH had contacted a couple of people to see when the race finished etc. They were all worried about me despite the fact that i had told them i wouldn't be home straight after & i had made a lasagne for them for dinner, just proves they don't listen to me! I was afraid to look on FB incase there was a pic of me going around with MISSING wrote on it!

Tuesday 28th Jan - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6.39mi - 9:25min/mi

1st early morning run of the week. i was absolutely freezing for this. The breeze could literally cut you, can home & tried to thaw out for ages:eek:

Wednesday 29th Jan - W/U, 5*1K@6:50/55 off 2:15, 3min jog, 4*30secs hard 6:00, off 45secs, C/D

1Ks - 6:53,6:52,6:49,6:57,6:55
    30 secs hard - 5:53,5:44,5:42,5:54

Again i did this session on my lunch break, it was a lovely crisp day & i was looking forward to this session. I got stuck into the reps & found it tough enough when i was running into the headwind, as it seemed to be picking up as the session went on! I loved doing the 30secs hard, always get a great buzz from this:D
    I ran by a man who trained me for running a long time ago! I was still in primary school so probably about 12. He gave a lovely smile & thumbs up as i ran quickly by him! Back then a couple of local men got together & had a small running club in Jobstown park infact one of them is a very well known, white bearded member of Tallaght athletics, who was extremely proud when i told his i was running my 1st marathon last year:p

Thursday 30th Jan - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 5.78mi - 10:27min/mi

Ok so this was a weird one for me! S told me to try out running this based only on my heartrate, trying to stay in Zone 1 as much as possible:eek: This was tough, trying to keep it steady whilst watching the paces go over 12 was giving me anxiety!! Was good to do it but was very happy to go back to my paces on Friday!

Friday 31st Jan - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6.3mi - 9:33min/mi

Very mild but as i got further into the run the wind picked up & the rain got heavier! Glad to get it done early!

Saturday 1st Feb - W/U, 3*10mins@7:30/40, 2mins jog, 8mins@7:30, 2mins hard

Set off to meet S in the phoenix park early as i was heading down to Portlaoise for a 40th birthday night away with a few friends. When i arrived S was parked up so i walked over to his car & he was about to get out but he took one look at me & closed the door:confused: It took me a second to realise i was wearing my Liverpool top! He was like a little kid, i just laughed at him & off we went.
    The 1st 10 mins of the 1st rep i found a bit tough, as in trying to settle into it. The way S had it planned we ran into the wind for the last part of the 10mins, this was tough but manageable. Once i got to the 2nd & 3rd reps they felt good, i felt happy with them & that i had settled. S seems to really enjoy jumping over dogs on our runs, seems to be his"thing";) The last 2mins hard was a little bit ambitious to say the least! S said you have free reign to run as fast as you want now, me being a speed junkie thought yes a sprint! S said he knew after 15secs this pace would not last;) How correct he was, at one stage he said 90seconds left, as i ran i was thinking ffs this is the longest 90secs in the history of time!!! The pace slowed down but overall i was really happy with the session & happy to have S there to keep me going & for the chats!

Sunday 2nd Feb - 1hr 50mins easy run
    1:50 - 11.66mi - 9:29min/mi

After a lot of bulmers & possibly 5 sambuca shots that i previously swore i would never drink again i left this run till the afternoon. I ran my old route but ended up in Corkagh park running on a field for some of this, thought it might be good for my legs! Defo not a fan of running in the grass but was nice to be doing something a bit different. This run was grand but god it felt really long even with my music on! The difference having company is unbelievable, it really makes the runs go faster:D

Total miles for the week - 52.8
    Total miles for the month of Jan - 195.0

Big huge well done to all who raced today - some great results coming through:cool:

Advertisement