Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm very interested and impressed by your dedication to training. Over the last year or so, having started in about 2007/8, I've gone up to 7-day-a-week training. Not religiously, sometimes it drops back to 5 or 6 days. You're newer to running though and I'm guessing you were only doing 3 or 4 days a week back in 2018. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can keep this up and avoid injury you'll see big improvements even without the fancier sessions. I know you've got advisers and running mentors - that's good - so just keep her steady and you'll see the benefits in the coming years.

Cheers D! Yes 2018 i wasn't running to any kind of consistency at all & only doing a few kms at lunchtime whenever people were free. Was more of a way to keep fit & keep the weight down more than anything at all. There was absolutely no logic behind the runs either, it was literally get it done as quickly as possible.
    Luckily I do have great help & support on here & i'm loving it (except for the wind at the moment) I think my dedication is down to the fact that this is something I can solely achieve once i continue to work hard, sure it seems to have worked for a lot of you legends on here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I love listening to podcasts when I'm out walking or have a run or drive on my own. Will add Scullion's podcast to my subscriptions.

Tues 25th Feb 2M W/U, 20mins@7:30/40, 4mins jog, 3*5mins@7:15/20, 4mins rec, C/D
    1:32 - 10.36mi - 8:55min/mi

20mins averaged 7:39 - 3*5mins, 7:17, 7:15,7:16

I did this run after work while it was still bright out. God the traffic was so much busier at this time so I decided to stay on one stretch of the road to avoid the traffic lights & having to stop! My legs felt a bit heavy for the 1st mile or so & I panicked a bit thinking how am I going to hit these paces but thankfully once I got into it I found my rhythm & absolutely loved it :D

Weds 26th Feb 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6.23mi - 9:46min/mi

I decided to run this only based on my heartrate to ensure it was an easy run. Was able to get out at lunchtime, there was a nice glimpse of sunshine but very chilly :eek:

Thurs 27th Feb4m easy, 2m@8mins
    53:00 - 6mi - 8:50min/mi

2*8mins - 7:56,7:58

1st early morning run in a good while. Having a few difficulties with my son & later to bed just meant I have been zapped of energy making early mornings extremely hard! Luckily I got an early night so felt good heading out for this. I have usually only ever ran my easy miles this early but really enjoyed the bit of pace this time & as I was just over half way through it started brightening up so that will be great to have brighter mornings too:)

Fri 28th Feb - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6.19 - 9:50min/mi

A retired man I worked with popped in today & was asking about my running, he actually encouraged & helped me get my spot for my very 1st DCM! I was telling him my training & times, he was impressed with my dedication since doing the marathon but told me to always make sure I have my bread & butter runs done(haven't heard this saying in years!!!!) He said they are the foundation of any good runner, just as I have been told many, many times on here!
    I tried to base this run on my heartrate but it was all over the place no matter how slow I went so I just ran by pace again.

Sat 29th Feb W/U, 4*5mins@6:40/50, 3mins rec, C/D
    1:13 - 8.12mi - 9:06min/mi

4*5mins - 6:36,7:03, 6:55, 6:50

I ran this early to avoid yet another storm. It was ok for the most but I could feel the wind picking up for my 5min reps. The 1st one seemed fine, no real problems but I struggled with the 2nd & knew the effort was too much so pulled it back slightly & the same for the 3rd one - both of these were ran mostly in the wind, then the 4th seemed grand with the wind behind me. A good session overall & wasn't too hard on myself for not hitting the paces!

Sun 1st March 75mins easy
    1:15 - 7.94mi - 9:29min/mi

Got up early & drove into the PP for this. My 1st solo run in the park & I loved it. The scenery & just the buzz of all the different people in the park is infectious - anyone who runs in this park regularly is very lucky indeed! The sun was out even though it was still quite chilly and for most of the run there was hardly any breeze, well nothing like the last few weeks. A really enjoyable Sunday run :cool:

44.8mi for the week
    191.3mi for the month of Feb

Taper week now ahead of Bohermeen, my number arrived yesterday:) Feeling quite excited & a bit nervous about it, but the trainings done so hopefully I make myself & S proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

You are doing so well Lainey! You really really are. Not got much time to be posting lately, but have been reading your log, it's great. I, like so many others, really admire your dedication, especially when there are so many potential excuses and you could totally say no to a run - you have none of it!

What is a bread and butter run?

The very best of luck at bohermeen

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    You are doing so well Lainey! You really really are. Not got much time to be posting lately, but have been reading your log, it's great. I, like so many others, really admire your dedication, especially when there are so many potential excuses and you could totally say no to a run - you have none of it!

What is a bread and butter run?

The very best of luck at bohermeen

Aw thanks so much, I think it's keeps me semi - sane cos let's face it i'm defo not fully sane ;) I just make it work somehow like everyone else:)

I think he was referring to all my easy runs, long Vanilla runs as AMK calls them, the non fancy stuff which is what he said i need lots & lots of!

Thanks a mill for the best wishes...Looking forward to it now, hoping the weather will be better than it has been so any prayers, sun/non wind dances, candles etc will be greatly appreciated:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow E, the Grouch has you in fine fettle. Go enjoy it and run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Best of luck tomorrow E, run well! (I know you will) :)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow E, the Grouch has you in fine fettle. Go enjoy it and run well!!

Haha he most certainly does :D
    Thanks a mill!

coogy wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow E, run well! (I know you will) :)

Cheers K, feeling good & want to enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck tomorrow, honestly excited to see how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck Elaine. Not been on boards really lately. You’ll fly it tomorrow.

Thanks a mill ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck tomorrow! Brilliant block of training so go out there and smash it.

Is the auld lad going to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow E!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good luck tomorrow! Brilliant block of training so go out there and smash it.

Is the auld lad going to be there?

No, apparently the grouch auld lad will be working :pac: Best of luck tomorrow C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

All the best today E, have a super race!

Bohermeen half marathon

Surprisingly I found my way without much of a hitch so already this was a good day :D
    I was early enough so was able to park at the clubhouse. Note to self for future country races, wear old runners:eek: I stepped out of the car to meet D & do a warm up in my lovely clean runners to the muckiest carpark ever! Myself & D headed onto the track for a warmup. Nice easy paces & a chat around the track. Time to head down to the start line & managed to get behind the 1:40 pacers while D moved up.

Mile 1 - 7:24 - Started off nicely, not too congested. Was a bit of a downhill so just kept at the pace i had decided on.

Mile 2 - 7:26, Mile 3 - 7:32, Mile 4 - 7:24, Mile 5 - 7:30, Mile 6 - 7:27
    I can't really remember all the miles separately, it genuinely felt like a very quick race,I couldn't believe I was already at mile 6! I stayed with the pacers for a couple of miles only because they were at the same pace as me but it felt great to move on myself & run my own race! It felt great up to this stage & I knew i could push on a bit more like my original plan. Got a shoutout from M here which really perked me up & made me smile :D

Mile 7 - 6:58, Mile 8 - 6:56, Mile 9 - 7:21, Mile 10 - 7:14
    I pushed on for the next 2 miles and was happy at this pace, i even welcomed the rain as it was quite warm up till now. But then the heavens opened, it got windy & it decided to hail stone!! I was absolutely drenched but I think with the wind & rain behind me i actually felt invigorated:eek: I tried to get shelter but unfortunately i was between running groups so it was hard! Once the rain stopped it got warm again so that was good but the result was my hair resembled an afro in a bobbin:D As i ran i felt something constantly hitting my leg and looked down to see my lace open! I moved to the side & tied it, my legs felt a bit jelly like trying to get back to the pace but i managed it! At this stage i was passing a lot more people than were passing me which felt great!

Mile 11 - 7:25, Mile 12 - 7:13, Mile 13 - 7:04
    I looked at my watch & knew if i could push on a bit more my time would be better than i even imagined!! I pushed on telling myself, you have this, all that training in the sh!tty weather will be worth it if you just don't f*@kin give up! I got a good few shouts of encouragement which was great! As we turned the corner heading back to the clubhouse for the finish i passed 2 girls that i had my eye on, this really boosted my spirits:) Then a man passed by me & said well done girl almost there! Well that was enough to speed it up...I could see the turn into the clubhouse and sped up as much as my little legs would let me! A nice sprint finish on the track to finish in a time of 1:35 taking 8mins off my half marathon last September:D Also finished 20th out of 127 in my age category!

Very happy with my time today but even happier with how I controlled this race from the very beginning! I listened to my head & my body & it really worked. I have worked hard this training block but thats not always a guarantee. Thankfully it paid off for me today!
    A huge thanks of course to S, he puts up with me where others wouldn't haha. He believed in me which has also helped me push on as i am accountable to someone else not just myself:)

A huge well done to all who raced today too, some super racing :D

No laptop at the moment so will update my log during the week. For now i will have a well deserved Pink Gin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's an unbelievable time and you're only getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SuspectZero

How have I only found this log now:pac:. Congrats on the race today, super time and running, you've obviously got a bit of ability and the work ethic to match. *straps myself in for 28 pages of catching up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

How have I only found this log now:pac:. Congrats on the race today, super time and running, you've obviously got a bit of ability and the work ethic to match. *straps myself in for 28 pages of catching up

You probably missed it cos you were MIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats E, that's a super race.

Your progress to date has been outstanding and yet more to come. No fluke though, your training and dedication to it have been top class.

That's an unbelievable time and you're only getting started.

Cheers absolutely delighted with it :)

Cheers, best of luck reading through my log, i do tend to waffle a lot ;)

Yep defo not afraid to work hard!

Congrats E, that's a super race.

Your progress to date has been outstanding and yet more to come. No fluke though, your training and dedication to it have been top class.

Thanks so much, great when the hard work pays off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done E! That's a super performance and it's great to see you rewarded for some excellent training. Delighted for you :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Well done E! That's a super performance and it's great to see you rewarded for some excellent training. Delighted for you :)

Thanks A, hope the recovery is going well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Superb stuff E, such a strong race from you. Plenty more improvement to come, and the opportunity to sandbag some more :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic E, so so happy for you. What a cracking result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Too true all that ****ty weather training makes it sweet to chase down your competition, a pb and a bloody good time regardless! Super stuff. I wont say what boards usually say, which drives me crazy. Instead, maintain for a bit. Soak it up being at this level for a bit. Cement it. Then..

• Advertisement

Cheers lads! T i think i will leave the sandbagging to yourself & D, yis are way better at it than me ;)

I am genuinely thrilled with my race, if anything it proves that hard work & consistency pays off so my plan is to continue this onto the next block of training. I will continue to try better myself for as long as i can :D

Advertisement