Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hahaha...bloody hilarious Sweatlicker!!!!

Mon 11th May

Rest day!

Tues 12th May W/U, 5*5mins@5k effort, 3min rec, C/D

6.30, 6.30, 6.43, 6.59, 6.56

Tough session...

Weds 13th May 50mins Easy
    50:20 - 5.48mi - 9:11 min/mi

Between home schooling my son & other stuff, I ended up heading out on this run much later than usual. It was sunny out so overall it was an enjoyable run.

Thurs 14th May Easy miles with strides & drills
    50:07 - 5.46mi - 9:11 min/mi

Set out for this run feeling good & refreshed. Got a phone call from Scott's teacher to firstly say well done to him on all his work as apparently he is the only one in the class that has mastered the laptop perfectly! He has always been a whizz on a computer & struggles with writing & concentration etc so we were both thrilled to hear this:) Then she spoke to me & I explained I had to do things differently as he was getting very overwhelmed & she said I too should be very proud of myself for making this work, really nice to hear & I have so much respect for the teachers who genuinely care for their students!
    I also started a bit of gentle Yoga for runners, more about activating the hips & glutes and have found it good so far.
    Another gorgeous day, set off on a few easy miles to the carpark where I have been doing my strides & drills. There were a few cars in the carpark but not too many so decided to stick with it! Off I went doing my drills & only on the last one did I realize there were people sitting out in the grass area watching me:eek: I'm sure I amused them as I almost tripped over myself doing the last drill, think I even went a little bit red:o Despite this I really enjoyed the run today!

Sitting here typing & watching Liverpools amazing Champions League win in Istanbul on RTE 2... League winners in my eyes:D

Disclaimer: I don't care what anyone else thinks...especially the MU fans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Istanbul one of the great sporting comebacks; up there with the Miracle @ Medinah.

Common sense will prevail with the league and Liverpool will be rightfully crowned Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Sitting here typing & watching Liverpools amazing Champions League win in Istanbul on RTE 2... League winners in my eyes:D

Disclaimer: I don't care what anyone else thinks...especially the MU fans ;)

At this stage with Pogba and Rashford fit and healthy again and sitting in 5th I nearly wouldn't mind you winning if we could get a good run on CL spot.

Don't fancy having to rely on the courts with Man City.

KSU wrote: »
    At this stage with Pogba and Rashford fit and healthy again and sitting in 5th I nearly wouldn't mind you winning if we could get a good run on CL spot.

Don't fancy having to rely on the courts with Man City.

Only Nearly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I also started a bit of gentle Yoga for runners, more about activating the hips & glutes and have found it good so far.

Snap! Same here. The little fella is waking around 7am so it's a chance for me to give the missus a lie-in and get some early yoga in. I can't say I find it all that relaxing though with mister grunter in the background. Never heard a child make as much noise when they poop as he does. Really puts the effort in. Haha.

Glad to see your son is getting on well in tough circumstances. Well done to mammy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Snap! Same here. The little fella is waking around 7am so it's a chance for me to give the missus a lie-in and get some early yoga in. I can't say I find it all that relaxing though with mister grunter in the background. Never heard a child make as much noise when they poop as he does. Really puts the effort in. Haha.

Glad to see your son is getting on well in tough circumstances. Well done to mammy too.

Am I the only one on A/R not having a daily date with Adrienne or some such lady for daily yoga? I'm just praying B doesn't start it too. :pac::pac:

Haha I must say it was Boards that really drove me to it. The early mornings are a regular now and I found myself with spare time. Looking at the logs here and saw loads of yoga going on. It was something I had discussed with L previously given my hip flexor issues so it's a no brainer for me especially given my job is so sedentary especially now I'm working from home. Not a massive fan of adrienne to be honest. I can't really hear her with the fella banging, pooping or grunting. And her style seems very much about relaxation. So I just go for videos that specifically target the hips, glutes, hamstrings, quads

Only Nearly ;)

They haven't won the league since the year I was born. Old habits die hard :P
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Am I the only one on A/R not having a daily date with Adrienne or some such lady for daily yoga? I'm just praying B doesn't start it too. :pac::pac:

You can be sure he is limbering up with the return of a more chiseled TbL :D

Not half long enough ;)
    You can be sure he is limbering up with the return of a more chiseled TbL :D

I will give up on mankind if he does :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I will give up on mankind if he does :pac::pac:

You won’t be giving up on mankind then!!! As much as wearing tight spandex & Lycra appeals to me........

Haha what age is your little boy? Thanks, can honestly say it was what I needed to hear right now!
    Like you I am doing the yoga more for specific areas to stretch etc. The hip & glute flexor one's I actually find quite good. Want to introduce S & C too at some stage but will have to speak to the boss about that :)

Haha I don't do mine with Adrienne, just random videos - you should try them :D
    Not half long enough ;)

I think I specifically made my wishes clear on MU fans commentary:rolleyes:

OOnegative wrote: »
    You won’t be giving up on mankind then!!! As much as wearing tight spandex & Lycra appeals to me........

Oh now there's an image:P

Haha what age is your little boy? Thanks, can honestly say it was what I needed to hear right now! Like you I am doing the yoga more for specific areas to stretch etc. The hip & glute flexor one's I actually find quite good. Want to introduce S & C too at some stage but will have to speak to the boss about that

He's 8 months. So full of grunts, groans and loves banging and rattling things. Certainly not getting the mindfulness from the yoga but the hips are getting what they need and that's the main thing.

Aww what a gorgeous age, starting to move more & get his little personality! My grandson is 16 months old & he amazes me every single day... They do so much in their 1st few years, with Scott being 10 it's easy to forget & plus with him being my grandson I can hand him back haha.

Yeah I was getting the odd niggle (women related) so looked up yoga to help with these areas & am finding it good, like you it's not the relaxation kind but defo doing the job :)

Yeah I was getting the odd niggle (women related) so looked up yoga to help with these areas & am finding it good, like you it's not the relaxation kind but defo doing the job :)

Definitely not the only ones.

I have a home workout routine I got a few years back (p90x) 10 different workouts as part of an overall plan. Never once did I manage to complete the Yoga one (90 min of yoga)

My routine now is 10/15 min full body and even that is enough work for me in the mornings

Definitely not the only ones.

I have a home workout routine I got a few years back (p90x) 10 different workouts as part of an overall plan. Never once did I manage to complete the Yoga one (90 min of yoga)

My routine now is 10/15 min full body and even that is enough work for me in the mornings

Good to hear! It has helped with my specific problem which is all I wanted :D

Fri 15th May - easy miles
    50:43 - 5.68mi - 8:56min/mi

Later than usual run & went over to Corkagh park for something different. Was nice to have a change of scenery.

Sat 16th May - more easy miles
    1:30 - 10.23mi - 08:52min/mi

Was just before lunchtime when I went out for this run, decided to listen to a Steve Magness podcast I found - How feelings impact performance. It was a really good listen & I think I related to a lot of it. Will listen to more of his podcasts with John Marcus.

Sun 17th May - as above
    1:00 - 6.57mi - 9:13min/mi

Nothing much to report on this run.

42.1 miles for the week

Mon 18th May W/u, 10mins@MP, 10mins@HMP, 5mins@5K, C/D
    1:03 - 7.35mi - 8:41min/mi
    7:55, 7:24, 6:51

Woke up another year older;) This wasn't exactly the session I had planned for my birthday in fairness but S is such a slave driver:rolleyes:
    Found this tough enough when I got to the 5k effort, almost like I have some kind of a mental block when it comes to the Katherine Tynan road! Glad to have it done.

Tues 19th May -
    57:13 - 6.31mi - 9:04min/mi

Some easy miles, going well till I got some really bad cramps in my stomach, stopped & they eased then off I went to finish it. Heading for a small procedure later which hopefully wouldn't affect my ability to run tomorrow.

Weds 20th May - easy miles
    1:00 - 6.70mi - 9:02min/mi

As advised by my doctor I took this nice & handy. Felt so much better than I have lately but got a few cramps towards the end of my run but I was almost home at this stage.

Thurs 21st May W/U, 16*200m@3k pace with 1:20rec, C/D

I wasn't sure about this & was convinced I would mess it up but I was thrilled with how it went. I really enjoyed the efforts & paces of this. Good session & defo looking forward to more of these:D

Fri 22nd MayEasy, strides & drills
    1:02 - 6.71mi - 9:15min/mi

My new Asic Novablast runners arrived yesterday so was very eager to try them out today. The only reason they were even allowed in to the house was because the girls got them for me as a birthday present:D My OH asked me if I had a pair of runners for every day of the week at this stage & I said yes, then paused for a bit & said if there are now 9 days in a week! He just rolled his eyes...as a non runner he just doesn't get it;)

Enjoyed the strides & my drills, felt the tongue part of the runner rubbing a bit so was happy to get them off when I got home. My sock had blood on it, it was a small enough blister on one foot exactly where the tongue is stitched. Raging as they are so comfy otherwise & the bounce in them feels amazing!

Sat 23rd MayEasy miles
    1:30 - 10.10mi - 8:55min/mi

Jesus I forgot what it's like to try run in extremely strong winds. My paces were a bit all over the place for this run but I kept my effort levels as consistent as I could. Was tough with the headwind but happy to have it done!

Sun 24th MayV. Slow miles
    37:05 - 3.82mi - 9:40min/mi

Went over to Corkagh park for this with a mile route in my head for the upcoming TT. Ran the route & was happy with it so think that's what I will use. With the weather being so amazing the park was quite packed so I was happy I wasn't there for a long run & ran on the grass away from people as much as possible!

49.2 miles for the week

Mon 25th MayW/u, 3*200m@6:05, 6*400m@6:35, 3*200m@6:05, 1min rec,C/d

Really starting to like Mondays :cool: Went out later than expected & again never did 400s before so wasn't too sure about this. I did this in my local small park which has a looped footpath. There was a strong enough headwind for some of this as the park is very open with absolutely no shelter in it, all the trees & shrubs were cut down a good few years ago! Settled into the 200s easy enough, then went into the 400s & found myself liking these too. All in all I did really enjoy this session again.

This comes as a huge relief to me as I have been struggling with my running confidence for a few weeks. Absolutely nothing to do with the training I have been given, everything should well have been within my capabilities but I think a bit physically & maybe mentally I just didn't feel I was doing what I should be able to do! Thankfully I am feeling good about it again & feeling like I am capable. It didn't matter that S reassured me that it would pass, I just couldn't shake it off! Since seeing the doc last week & small procedure sorted, I feel so much better in myself & in my running, at one stage I wasn't going to do the mile TT (proper drama queen:rolleyes:) I am looking forward to it & all I really want is to try run it as best I can in whatever time that maybe:D

This is not a pity party either, I just like reading back over my log every now & then to see how cringy I was at any particular time :p
    I found boards on 7th of May last year for the Novice DCM 19 thread! Mad to think I only properly started my running journey then:eek:

Sorry for the very long post, will hopefully start posting more regularly again:D

Found this tough enough when I got to the 5k effort, almost like I have some kind of a mental block when it comes to the Katherine Tynan road! Glad to have it done.

There's nothing easy about running 5k pace fresh, nevermind off MP and HMP segments. Great job. It should feel tough. Running fast on fatigued legs. Makes you tougher for the 5k when you do run one again.
    This comes as a huge relief to me as I have been struggling with my running confidence for a few weeks. Absolutely nothing to do with the training I have been given, everything should well have been within my capabilities but I think a bit physically & maybe mentally I just didn't feel I was doing what I should be able to do! Thankfully I am feeling good about it again & feeling like I am capable. It didn't matter that S reassured me that it would pass, I just couldn't shake it off! Since seeing the doc last week & small procedure sorted, I feel so much better in myself & in my running, at one stage I wasn't going to do the mile TT (proper drama queen ) I am looking forward to it & all I really want is to try run it as best I can in whatever time that maybe

We're all a bit meh about our running from time to time. Ask AMK, Healy, KSU etc etc. Nobody is constantly on a high with their running all year round. It's a feckin slog at times. Just keep inimd you're in a tough block of training. Take a look at your Strava. You're stringing together some fantastic, consistent training week after week. On your up weeks your close to 50 miles per week. That's great running. Give yourself some credit. Unfortunately it's not about feeling great all the time. It's sticking with that training, keeping consistent and the gains come. Keep chipping away.
    Glad you're feeling better.
    This is not a pity party either, I just like reading back over my log every now & then to see how cringy I was at any particular time I found boards on 7th of May last year for the Novice DCM 19 thread! Mad to think I only properly started my running journey then

You're awful hard on yourself. Nothing cringy about detailing your training and how youre feeling. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I think OOnegative already has the cringe award sown up with his "nobody loves me, nobody gives a toss about my log.." sob recently :D

I'd echo what SB said. Still getting it done and hitting the paces you are hitting when your not feeling great all the time, will play out as results when you do feel fresh.

I've come to savour any run where I have fresh energy or a bounce. Most of the time, if you are running most days, you are carrying fatigue and managing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'd love to have more time (& maybe dedication) to put the sort of detail that you and SGMC put into your updates.

At times I dont update as I dont feel I've time to do it justice - I'll leave it to a different time - still have no time, then just end up doing a bog standard 7m@8min/mile post that I could have done on day 1.

So I admire you guys who do it well and use it for the purpose its intended - A training log.

• Advertisement

There's nothing easy about running 5k pace fresh, nevermind off MP and HMP segments. Great job. It should feel tough. Running fast on fatigued legs. Makes you tougher for the 5k when you do run one again.

We're all a bit meh about our running from time to time. Ask AMK, Healy, KSU etc etc. Nobody is constantly on a high with their running all year round. It's a feckin slog at times. Just keep inimd you're in a tough block of training. Take a look at your Strava. You're stringing together some fantastic, consistent training week after week. On your up weeks your close to 50 miles per week. That's great running. Give yourself some credit. Unfortunately it's not about feeling great all the time. It's sticking with that training, keeping consistent and the gains come. Keep chipping away.
    Glad you're feeling better.

You're awful hard on yourself. Nothing cringy about detailing your training and how youre feeling. Keep it up!

This I do know, I remember losing my mojo during my half marathon training as it was so dark, wet, windy & cold all the time! This time it just felt different, I had no problem going out for the runs, it was more that I felt I wasn't completing some of them to my current ability! I do know most runners feel this way at some stage & I do know I can't & won't always be great at my sessions, something just wasn't clicking! Hopefully it's all sorted now:D

Yep something else i'm working on!!
    I think OOnegative already has the cringe award sown up with his "nobody loves me, nobody gives a toss about my log.." sob recently :D

I'd echo what SB said. Still getting it done and hitting the paces you are hitting when your not feeling great all the time, will play out as results when you do feel fresh.

I've come to savour any run where I have fresh energy or a bounce. Most of the time, if you are running most days, you are carrying fatigue and managing it.

Thanks a mill, appreciate the reply. It is reassuring to know others feel like this too sometimes :)
    I'd love to have more time (& maybe dedication) to put the sort of detail that you and SGMC put into your updates.

At times I dont update as I dont feel I've time to do it justice - I'll leave it to a different time - still have no time, then just end up doing a bog standard 7m@8min/mile post that I could have done on day 1.

So I admire you guys who do it well and use it for the purpose its intended - A training log.

I disagree, I enjoy reading your log! Lot's of details in it...How many people did you bump into in the PP :cool::p

I disagree, I enjoy reading your log! Lot's of details in it...How many people did you bump into in the PP

And his descriptions of self release.........

hmmm was trying to subtly ignore this:eek:

I'm sure it has something to do with Stravawankers...:D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hahaha

Tues 26th May Easy miles
    1:00 - 6.61mi - 9:06min/mi

Went out a little later than planned, gorgeous day.

Weds 27th May W/U, 25mins Fartlek, C/D

I really enjoyed this, different distances at different paces with appropriate recoveries - nice session.

Thurs 28th May Easy miles
    40:21 - 4.43mi - 9:07min/mi

Absolutely roasting out, enjoyed the easy miles, runners tan is coming along nicely, freckles all joining up;)

Fri 29th May 20mins easy with strides
    22:34 - 2.46mi - 9:11min/mi

A little shakeout of the legs with a few strides thrown in - feeling quite good:)

Sat 30th May

Mile TT 6:05

So despite a few prehydration drinks last night I felt really good - excited even!
    My eldest daughter messaged me wishing me good luck, which somehow led to her joining me for the w/u & c/d. It was a gorgeous morning, speedy shots, vest top & vapouflys & I was ready to go. We drove to Corcagh Park & set off on the w/u. I ran slowly for Lauren to keep up & we chatted, well more I chatted, I could tell by her she was finding it a bit tough & I could sense her delight when we split up so she could slow her pace down:pac:
    I got to my starting spot, mentally ready for this. Adrenalin was pumping, I hit the start button & off I went, to my surprise I heard beeping & looked at my watch...workout ended...WTF! Ah sure it wouldn't be me if it all went smoothly:rolleyes: I went back to my car, got my phone & put a new mile in my garmin connect. Back to the start line to which I met Lauren finishing her jog. She sat on the grass near where I was going to finish. Take 2:D Off I went, slight downhill for the start, needed to be at 1.31 for each .25 for my target time. I was ahead of time, not a huge amount till at least half way & felt good! The next bit felt like I was working a bit harder, pushing my legs & arms. Then I knew it was a slight uphill for at least the last 200m. I pushed on, feeling like I really needed to get this time spot on if not better. I could see Lauren ahead & it was a great boost! I heard the beeps & stupidly slowed right down to see a couple of seconds left, fook, you dope!!! I picked back up & luckily finished bang on my target 6:05!! Other than my throat feeling dry, nothing else really affected me which I was thrilled with. Myself & Lauren went off for a c/d mile then headed home. She was absolutely thrilled for me & having her support there was amazing:D

It's a weird one the mile... never raced it before, it's kinda over before you really get to think about it! I do feel I could do better in one given that was my 1st ever. Not for one minute taking away from my time because I am genuinely thrilled with it. I got such a rush from it, was absolutely buzzing for the rest of the day:D
    Again many thanks to SB & SW for organizing & all the hard work that went into it - much appreciated! Also to all the other runners that took part, the thread was great craic & something that kept the mind otherwise occupied:pac: Looking forward to the next one already:cool:

Sunday 31st May Long run
    1:30 - 10.25mi - 8:50min/mi

Another gorgeous day, really loving this weather. No ill effects from yesterday. Nice run.

43.1 miles for the week
    209.02 miles for the month

Monday 1st of June V.Easy miles
    31:05 - 3.17mi - 9:49min/mi

Another month already:eek: A nice recovery run on another glorious day:cool:

Tuesday 2nd June Easy miles
    1:00 - 6.38 - 9:29min/mi

Wanted to get out early for this as it was to get really hot again. Was roasting, but enjoyed feeling the sun on me, even though it's hot I do love that feeling & running in this weather. Came home & ready to switch to teacher mode but was pleasantly pleased to find that there was no school today as they get an extra day off with the BH, so off teacher went to the garden & sat in the sun for a little bit:D

Wednesday 3rd June W/u, 5*3mins@threshold with 3mins off@9:15/30, c/d
    7:11,7:05,7:10,7:07,7:09
    9:22,9:22,9:34,9:38, 9:39

A much cooler day with a threat of rain. Eased into this nicely, ran a bit too fast for the start of the reps but then eased into them nicely. This is the 1st time i've had both reps & recoveries paced, really enjoyed it, efforts & form were good all the way throughout.
    Overall feeling back to myself, running wise i'm really enjoying it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Tues 26th May Easy miles
    1:00 - 6.61mi - 9:06min/mi

Sat 30th May

Mile TT 6:05
    . It was a gorgeous morning, speedy shots, vest top & vapouflys & I was ready to go. We drove to Corcagh Park & set off on the w/u. I ran slowly for Lauren to keep up & we chatted, well more I chatted, I could tell by
    Overall feeling back to myself, running wise i'm really enjoying it again!

Great run on Saturday, it was really warm out. I'm thinking you passed us on your warmup? Over the far side near the GAA pitches and the baseball. IIRC I was wearing a Dubs top. You would also have passed another couple before us (her running, him cycling behind), as well as a Waterstown Warrior. Only copping that now after checking the times on the Strava. Lovely venue for a race/TT - I'm planning to head back there soon.

• Advertisement

Super time at the weekend and glad to see you are back to yourself in terms of how you are feeling.

As SW said everyone goes through lulls in training it's normal. Running in itself is a release for everyday stresses but needs to be remembered that heavy training also takes a toll mentally as well as physically. I have been a huge culprit of compounding my running stress with life stress at times. Once in a while you just have to accept its a bad day and not beat ourselves up about that.

Advertisement