Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work. I’ve used stones (and sticks!) myself in the past, but never went to the trouble of bringing them from home. But would you not just programme the session into your watch and let it do the counting for you?

Thanks D, it only started because I was focusing way too much on hitting exact paces when it was programmed into the watch! I'm happy with relying on an honest effort whilst still using the watch as a guide. The stones/pebbles were only because I knew I'd loose count! There was just lots of pebble dashed stones in the garden so was easy to grab a handful ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I too though you were carrying boulders! When I saw the pic on strava it reminded me of the tiny coloured fairy stones my daughter collects and the hoover eats :)

I get it if you were doing 15+ reps under fatigue but is it that hard to count 7 hill spints? :confused: Or am I missing something more psychological? :confused:

I too though you were carrying boulders! When I saw the pic on strava it reminded me of the tiny coloured fairy stones my daughter collects and the hoover eats :)

I get it if you were doing 15+ reps under fatigue but is it that hard to count 7 hill spints? :confused: Or am I missing something more psychological? :confused:

Nope not hard at all ! It's a little bit of a fun element to my hills really i guess & gives me something less serious to talk about on my log :D
    And most importantly it works for me, so if it aint broke don't try to fix it ;)

Tues 13th Oct - 25mins@9:00, 25mins@8:40
    50:00 - 5.67mi - 8:48min/mi

A chilly early morning run, quite dark so took the headlight out of storage.

Weds 14th Oct - W/u, 6*4mins@6:35/40 off 2:30min, 4*45sec@5:50, off 90sec, C/d

6:33, 6:35, 6:40, 6:31, 6:42, 6:36 - 5:54, 5:49, 5:34, 5:47

I didn't manage to get out for this session till the evening. Started off my 1st rep into a headwind, knew this would make reps 3 & 5 a bit tougher. 2nd rep went really well then kept my efforts as consistent as I could for reps 3 & 5. The 45 secs just went by so quickly. Tough enough session but overall happy with it.

Thurs 15th Oct - V easy miles
    45:12 - 4.77mi - 09:29min/mi

Nice easy run. Took my new Asic Glideride runners out for this, very nice comfy runners, love the way my foot rocks forward so easily in these. Highly recommended by S a long time ago & again when I said I needed new runners for my longer runs!

Fri 16th Oct - Easy miles
    1hr 10 - 7.87mi - 8:53min/mi

Some more nice easy miles.

Sat 17th Oct - W/u, 2*10mins@6:55/7:05, 3mins rec, 2 min jog 15mins@7:10, C/d

Once the W/U was done I eased into my 1st 10mins @pace. All felt good, 3mins easy then back into the 2nd 10mins, again felt good had my 3mins easy & then was supposed to be another 2mins easy but I had programmed this in as 2miles instead:rolleyes: I saved the run so far then started the watch again for my 15mins. Only for this little blip the session would have been perfect:D

Sun 18th - Easy miles
    1:39 - 10.81mi - 9:10min/mi

Beautiful morning in the park for this run. Wore the gliderides again for this & absolutely loved them. The park was so busy today which has been mentioned in many other logs. Nice to get a friendly smile for P running with his wife. Started out frosty but the sun warmed me up quite quickly. Really enjoyed this run.

47.3miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice week again E. How would you rate the Glideride in comparison to the novablasts? Would they be lighter. Think I remember S possibly saying that at some stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Nice week again E. How would you rate the Glideride in comparison to the novablasts? Would they be lighter. Think I remember S possibly saying that at some stage?

Hiya D. Firstly crongrats on your run yesterday, cracking effort.

As for the shoes there is very little weight difference. In a men's size 45 the Novablast is 311g and the Glideride is 315g. There the similarity ends. The Glideride is a shoe for churning out miles comfortably, far more comfortable than the Novablast in my opinion. Also it wears much better. I have more sole wear on 120 mile old Novablasts than I have on 490 mile Gliderides. I can't wait to get a new pair but the current ones probably aren't half life yet. The Novablasts probably have more 'Spring' for faster stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »

As for the shoes there is very little weight difference. In a men's size 45 the Novablast is 311g and the Glideride is 315g. There the similarity ends. The Glideride is a shoe for churning out miles comfortably, far more comfortable than the Novablast in my opinion. Also it wears much better. I have more sole wear on 120 mile old Novablasts than I have on 490 mile Gliderides. I can't wait to get a new pair but the current ones probably aren't half life yet. The Novablasts probably have more 'Spring' for faster stuff.

Ah the Kraken awakes.........

skyblue46 wrote: »

Nice one. Thanks for that info. Interesting on the wear and tear. I did notice the soles on my Novablasts got wore down early. Hope your injury issues are almost behind you!

I agree with what S has said in comparing the shoes. The Glideride is now for me my long run choice, very comfortable & hard wearing. The way the runner rocks forward at such ease is an added bonus. The Novablast now will be for my session days, I absolutely love this runner, to me it feels lighter & springier so good to do a bit of faster stuff in.

Tues 20th Oct - W/U, 13mins@7/7:05, 5min jog, 5*800m@6:50 off 200m, 15mins@7:10/15. C/d

7:01 - 6:48,6:49,6:50,6:51,7:01 - 7:19

Clocked off from work & headed straight out for this session. The headwind was quite strong & tough enough to run into it. Kept my efforts as consistent as I could & they seemed spot on. Overall I felt the session went well.

Weds 21st Oct - Easy miles
    45:05 - 4.68mi - 9:38min/mi

Very easy miles as my legs felt a bit heavy from my session yesterday.

Thurs 22nd Oct - Slight progression to moderate pace over the last 20mins.
    1hr 20min - 9.09mi - 08:48min/mi

A little later heading out for this run which meant it was dark getting home. Nice run.

Fri 23rd Oct - Easy miles - W/u, 20 min hilly fartlek, 5min jog, 15mins@7:10, C/d
    1hr 04 - 7.77mi - 8:21min/mi

This run was originally supposed to be in the PP but with the 5k restrictions it means it's out of bounds for me, defo something I will miss but I will make the most of what's around me. Picked a loop in the park & off I went, 5k effort up the hilly parts & moderate pace coming down, I looped a lot of times which made me wonder if I could ever run on a track going round & round! Finished this off then continued on around the park for the remainder of the session. I really enjoyed the variety of paces, the hills & flat parts of this session.
    I finally watched the Katie Taylor documentary on Netflix & really enjoyed it. What an absolute inspiration she is, the determination & hard work was amazing to watch. Even with the personal turmoil she went through, she never ever gave up! A true legend in my eyes...

Sat 24th Oct - Easy miles
    31:48 - 3.36mi - 9:27min/mi

It was a lot colder today so I wrapped up with some of the gear I bought in Decathalon the other night. I got some nice long sleeved tops, gloves, headband & other bits. Great quality & such good prices:D
    Nice few easy miles around the block.

Sun 25th - 75 easy, 25mins@7;10, 15 easy
    1hr56mins - 12.86mi - 9:01min/mi

Set off for this run a little later than planned. Stayed up having a few drinks while chatting to some friends on zoom & drank a bit more than usual! Woke up during the night & took forever to fall back asleep. Not ideal really heading off for a long run. Ran from my house then went on into Corkagh park, beautiful morning for it, a little chilly & windy but the sun was out too. Lot's & lot's of people out running & everyone seemed so friendly with waves, thumbs up, smiles & beeps! I can only presume people thought I was doing the virtual DCM just like I presumed most I passed by were doing it.
    I headed into the 25mins at pace coming back towards the Katherine Tynan Road, I felt fine for this, increasing the effort slightly. Went on & after about 10 to 12 mins I started struggling a bit. At this stage I was running into a headwind & having to cross roads etc. Felt like I was really slowing down. Pushed the effort a bit more & finished as best I could. Felt a little disappointed but knew it had been a heavy week too so wasn't too hard on myself.

It was lovely seeing all the people around doing their virtual marathons & then seeing all the results coming through on Strava, absolutely well done to all who ran & completed them, it's a great achievement!
    It did make me a little sad to think I should have ran my 2nd DCM yesterday but I am so grateful to have had an amazing 1st one with so many lovely memories & even more grateful to be still running & enjoying it!

49.2miles for the week

• Advertisement

Tues 27th Oct - Easy miles
    51:01 - 5.50mi - 9:17min/mi

Went out after work, it was very chilly out with an icy breeze! So glad I wrapped up well for it...

Weds 28th Oct - W/U, 6*800m@6:20/25, off 400m, 4*45secs@5:50 off 75secs, C/d

6:21,6:34,6:20,6:37,6:27,6:39 - 5:59,6:08,5:56,6:07

This session was done after work also. It was quite wild out & knew the Katherine Tynan Road was going to be tough, very open to the breeze! I was lucky enough to have the wind behind me for reps 1, 3 & 5 but then unlucky to have a headwind for 2, 4 & 6. I felt good for most of it then got a really bad stitch in the 6th rep, tried to just take deep breaths & just run it off. It lasted for a bit & then thankfully went during my cool down.

Thurs 29th Oct - Easy miles
    45:21 - 4.76mi - 9:31min/mi

A run before work! Wet & windy listening to November Rain & as pointed out resembling Axel at the end of the song:D

Fri 30th Oct - Easy miles
    44:57 - 4.82mi - 9:19min/mi

Another early start for this as it is my daughters 20th birthday so we were having cake & singing happy birthday after work :D
    A rainy day but little breeze so actually enjoyed this run.

Sat 31st Oct - 15min easy, 2*20mins@7:07/12, 5mins off, 15 mins easy
    1hr 20min - 9.31mi - 8:41min/mi

I stayed in bed a little longer than I was supposed to & dreaded heading out into those strong winds...I had really had enough of them this week:rolleyes: Off I went & tried to pick the friendliest route I could but sure it really didn't matter because I was eventually going to have to run into the headwind. The 1st 20mins @ pace felt good, a couple of turns into the wind but not for too long. Kept going on the route down towards the Airton Road, got to the end of the road to turn onto the main road & a gust of wind caught me from behind & nearly blew me onto the road:eek: I was heading towards Kilnamanagh & knew once I turned onto this stretch of road that not only would I be in a headwind for the rest of the rep, about 15mins, but that it was quite a drag. The rain had also started & it stung as it hit my face at such speed! It was tough trying to keep the efforts up but I managed to do my best. It was windy the whole time, it never seemed to let up at all & sometimes a gust would catch me & it honestly felt like I was running backwards:P I do not blame anyone in their cars staring at me as if I was mad because I was thinking the exact same thing:pac: Was happy to turn towards home for the last mile or so & not be running into the breeze! Overall happy with the efforts for that run!
    Got home & wrapped myself up really warm as I was freezing then headed to see my mam to spoil her for her 70th birthday, yes more cake was eaten:D

Sun 1st Nov - Easy miles
    1hr30mins - 9.84mi - 9:13min/mi

Looked out to see what the weather had in store for me today, was actually pleasantly surprised to see no rain & some sunshine so off I went. I decided to do a loop similar to yesterdays loop. The miles seemed to go by quite quickly as I sang along to some of my songs, thankfully no one around to hear me;) Really enjoyed this run!

42.7 miles for the week
    206.8 miles for October

Tues 3rd Nov - W/u,13mins@7:00,5min jog, 4*1km@6:50 off 200m, 15mins@7:08/13, C/d

6:37, 6:48, 6:43, 6:45

Ran after work for this, chilly start but warmed up pretty quickly. It was dark by the time I'd finished the 13mins @ pace. I felt really strong for the whole session. It rained for 3 out of the 4 km reps but I didn't mind at all, sure didn't I say I preferred the rain to the wind;) I had myself ready to run nice & easy after running the km reps, then the watch beeped to run 15mins @ pace, $HIT I forgot about this bit! I quickly got myself back into the zone & made a route up as I went! Was delighted to see my watch beep for my actual cool down! Overall very happy with this.

Weds 4th Nov - 45mins Easy
    45:19 - 4.74mi - 9:34min/mi

Very chilly early run.

Thurs 5th Nov - Easy miles with a slight progression
    1hr 25mins - 9.77mi - 8:47min/mi

A nice enjoyable run after work.

Fri 6th Nov - W/U, 3*8Mins Fartlek hills, off 3mins, 5min jog, 15mins@7:10, C/d
    1hr 18 - 9.13mi - 8:43min/mi

Was on a half day so went out at lunch time. Did my warm up & headed towards Killinarden hill to do my reps on. Started at a bus stop so my plan was to start there roughly each time. The idea was to do these Fartlek hills between 3k effort & 5k effort. I alternated between 30sec reps & 60sec reps, recoveries were to be a bit slower. I felt very controlled for these. Kept in my mind that I had 3 sets of 8mins to do so I made sure the 1st lot weren't too fast. Was working hard for these but enjoyed them. Was happy to have the 5min jog before setting off at pace again for the 15mins. Another good session in my eyes!

Sat 7th Nov - 30mins Easy
    30:07 - 3.23mi - 9:20min/mi

Nice easy run.

Sun 8th Nov - 83mins easy, 27mins@7:08/7:13, 10mins Easy
    2hrs - 13.67mi - 8:51min/mi

It was a beautiful morning for a long run. I decided to run on the outer ring road down past Corkagh Park. Passed by so many runners today, lots of smiles & good mornings which was lovely:D A bloke I used to run with ran up behind me & started chatting to me, was so nice to see him. My watch beeped at 8 something & I thought crap that's too fast for my easy pace plus I knew it would be the 1st thing S would zone in on:pac: I slowed my pace down said good bye & off he went at his pace... was really nice to have company again running although quite brief! Was back up at my favourite spot for the 27mins at pace, was really happy with how this went again feeling quite strong. Happy to finish off feeling pleased with how the week has gone.

Finally it all seems to be falling into place, the self doubt, the weather I can't control, the focus on running at efforts & not always paces, the running with stones... it all makes sense now! Regardless of PB attempts etc I can honestly say I genuinely feel much stronger than I have in a long time. Long may it last:D

50.8 miles for the week

Tues 10th Nov - Easy miles
    45:25 - 4.88mi - 9:18min/mi

An early morning run, quite humid with drizzly rain.

Weds 11th Nov - W/u, 5*1200m@6:35/40 off 400m, 4*150m@5:50, off 250m, C/d

6:38, 6:39, 6:36, 6:47, 6:40, - 6:23, 5:37, 5:23, 5:20

Ran after work for this & was dreading it all day, it was so wet & windy out! Warm up was grand then eased into the 1st rep & it felt good. 2 & 3 felt good too, working hard but not feeling uncomfortable. Turned into rep 4 & the wind had really picked up. I kept my efforts the same as the previous reps &ran as strong as I could, last rep went well also. Gave a good burst of speed for the 150m. Again another good session that left me feeling good & stronger.

Thurs 12th Nov - Easy miles
    30:37 - 3.15mi - 09:43min/mi

Nice easy run.

Fri 13th Nov - Slight progression run
    1hr 15 - 8.55mi - 8:47min/mi

It was a chilly enough evening for this but I really enjoyed it.

Sat 14th Nov - W/u, 2*10mins@6:53/58, 3mins rec, 2 min jog 20mins@7:08/13, C/d

Had my alarm set for 8am to get up for this but hit snooze & fell back asleep. Woke up completely wrecked but put my gear on & set off. Whilst I was running my warm up I just wasn't really feeling it & was already wondering how I was going to hit the prescribed paces. The watch beeped to go at pace, off I went, this felt hard but really wanted to blank all the thoughts out of my head. The watch beeped too slow, so I picked up the pace, watch beeped too fast, so I slowed down the pace, watch beeped again - ffs I was going to dance on the stupid watch!! This just didn't feel consistent for me & in fact I did run it too fast but by this stage my mind was gone! I finished the 10mins & shuffled along for the recovery. The watch beeped to go again, off I went, too slow the watch beeped, too slow again, I just knew I couldn't do it so I stopped & walked, tried to pull myself together & off I went again. I just didn't have it in me, so for the first time since starting structured training I pulled the plug on a session & ran the longest slow miles home ever. To say I was gutted is an understatement, there was no reason what so ever that I couldn't run this session, I had done something similar 2 weeks before, it was a hard pill to swallow but with the good comes the bad so I had my moment & decided to move on!

Sun 15th Nov- Easy miles
    1:37 - 10.32mi - 9:25min/mi

It was to be a very wet day today so I wanted to get this done early. Set off & the rain actually wasn't too bad. The winds at times were very strong & the rain quite stingy at times & it didn't help that I was carefully dodging the puddles to keep my tootsies dry & a male runner came running by me & ran into a big puddle splashing my feet & legs! The glare he got, I now had wet feet, cheers mate!

A bit of a mixed week really, felt so good till Saturdays session. Tomorrow is my rest day, then I will move on to a fresh week of training, hopefully a good week of training :)

41.8 miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

We all have those days don't worry. Some days you wake up and just know it's not gonna be a good one. Don't get too excited about the good days or too pissed off about the bad days... Steady as she goes.

On the plus side you're about to pass 2k miles for the year!

We all have those days don't worry. Some days you wake up and just know it's not gonna be a good one. Don't get too excited about the good days or too pissed off about the bad days

On the plus side you're about to pass 2k miles for the year!

Thanks P, Yeah this is something I have learnt over my last 2 plans & thankfully i'm getting better at it!

Hahahaha yes & the irony is I probably would have hit it today if I had managed my full session on Sat:rolleyes:;)

I know you won't(and the boss wouldn't let ya anyway), but don't doubt yourself based from sat. Your last 2 midweek sessions were noticeably top notch and shows what shape your are in. Fair play.

I know you won't(and the boss wouldn't let ya anyway), but don't doubt yourself based from sat. Your last 2 midweek sessions were noticeably top notch and shows what shape your are in. Fair play.

Cheers D :)

Tues 17th Nov - W/U, 13mins@7, 5min jog, 5*1km@6:50 off 200m, 13mins@7:10/15. C/d

6:48,6:58,6:43,7:06,6:39

Felt good & strong for this despite the strong breeze. Rep 4 was a struggle as the winds seemed to pick up but I got it done!

Weds 18th Nov - Easy miles
    45:30 - 4.71mi - 9:40min/mi

Windy again so took this nice & easy.

Thurs 19th Nov - Slight progression to moderate pace over the last 20mins.
    1hr – 6.97mi - 08:37min/mi

Nice calm evening for this run, a bit chilly but thankfully no breeze!

Fri 20th Nov - W/u, 10*60sec hills, jog rec, C/d
    47:48 - 5.05mi - 9:27min/mi

Had to get this run done early so it was dark, wet & windy – perfect for hills! Worked hard at the required effort & was happy with this.

Sat 21st Nov - Easy miles
    30:39 - 3.35mi - 9:08min/mi

Sun 22nd - 70 easy, 20mins@7;10, 10 easy
    1hr21mins - 9.25mi - 8:50min/mi

Again another nice long run with a few miles at pace thrown in.
    Tues 24th – W/U, 6*600m@6:35 off 400m, C/D
    6:36,6:37,6:35,6:36,6:37,6:33

Absolutely soaked to the skin after this session but all went well with it.

Weds 25th – Easy miles
    31m – 3.33mi – 9:20min/mi

Easy miles on a gorgeous day!

Thurs 26th – W/U, 5*800m@7:10 off 200m, C/D
    51m – 8:38mi – 6:01min/mi

This was a nice little session, easy enough & quite enjoyable. Started listening to a runner abroad podcast with Sonia O’Sullivan, enjoying it so far.

Fri 27th – Rest

Sat 28th – Easy with strides
    30m – 3.15mi – 9:32min/mi

Easy run with a few strides thrown in before my MOMENT of destiny tomorrow:eek:

Sun 29th - Half Marathon TT
    1:34:13 – 13.12m – 7:11min/mi

Had decided that even though I don’t particularly like or feel good at TT’s that I wanted to do one after this block of training. I arrived at the park early, 3rd car in the carpark! Wasn’t sure if I wanted to wear a long sleeved top over my running vest or not but decided I didn’t need it, not sure if it was the nerves but I felt quite warm, plus I had treated myself to a lovely pair of navy & orange running shorts & matching vest top plus new orange socks which matched my 4% flyknits perfectly!! Off I went on a little warm up. Wanted to start at the O/S roundabout & knew I would roughly have 8 laps to do. I composed myself & set off. 1st mile beeped at 7:17, happy enough with this. The next few miles felt good 7:21,7:15,7:08,7:21, I was in a really good rhythm, feeling quite comfortable but not feeling like pushing on. I felt the laps were going by pretty quickly which was mad because in the 10k I felt like they dragged by! Over halfway now & still feeling good miles were 7:09,7:10,7:14,7:15,7:11,7:09, really felt like I was controlling this TT, not like any of the other ones which I felt I didn’t control well at all. My huge fear this week was that I would go out that little bit too fast & really struggle! That might be ok in a 5k or even a 10k but for a half it would have been horrendous… My plan was to do the 1st half at a comfortable enough pace then to judge it on how I was feeling & respond to this. I couldn’t believe I was heading towards my last lap! I felt strong which made me feel very happy, my training had been to make me stronger & this was the validation I needed. As I ran up the Furze road a few runners ran by me saying, great running & well done great pace, this perked me up. Just over 2 miles to go and I knew I could pick things up, pushed on still feeling strong, miles were 6:59 & 6:56. Was coming to the end of the Furze road & was working hard. Took a right down onto the Chesterfield Avenue to finish it out. Seen 13miles on my watch & decided to push a little harder! Thrilled to see the time on my watch, stopped it & caught my breath. Was thrilled with how it went & for knocking time off my Bohermeen effort.

Todays TT was more than getting a “PB” for myself. I enjoyed this training block, one or two not so great sessions but so many good days that filled me with confidence. I wanted to control todays TT, make a plan & stick to it. I did exactly that, decided to be a bit more cautious with the 1st half so that I didn’t repeat the 10k TT where I felt fecked & defeated. I felt strong for this whole TT & that honestly felt great. I could not ask for any more from this training block & would like to thank S, again for his patience & support.
    I shall be opening a celebratory can of Bulmers Light once this is uploaded!

December is going to be an easy enough month for me. I have been following plans continuously since DCM & while I have really enjoyed them I think I need to take it easy for a little bit. The Irony is there’ll be no Christmas parties & hangovers which has been the case on my other plans haha. No idea when races will be back but for now I will just keep plodding along enjoying my running :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tues 17th Nov - W/U, 13mins@7, 5min jog, 5*1km@6:50 off 200m, 13mins@7:10/15. C/d

6:48,6:58,6:43,7:06,6:39

Felt good & strong for this despite the strong breeze. Rep 4 was a struggle as the winds seemed to pick up but I got it done!

Weds 18th Nov - Easy miles
    45:30 - 4.71mi - 9:40min/mi

Windy again so took this nice & easy.

Thurs 19th Nov - Slight progression to moderate pace over the last 20mins.
    1hr – 6.97mi - 08:37min/mi

Nice calm evening for this run, a bit chilly but thankfully no breeze!

Fri 20th Nov - W/u, 10*60sec hills, jog rec, C/d
    47:48 - 5.05mi - 9:27min/mi

Had to get this run done early so it was dark, wet & windy – perfect for hills! Worked hard at the required effort & was happy with this.

Sat 21st Nov - Easy miles
    30:39 - 3.35mi - 9:08min/mi

Sun 22nd - 70 easy, 20mins@7;10, 10 easy
    1hr21mins - 9.25mi - 8:50min/mi

Again another nice long run with a few miles at pace thrown in.
    Tues 24th – W/U, 6*600m@6:35 off 400m, C/D
    6:36,6:37,6:35,6:36,6:37,6:33

Absolutely soaked to the skin after this session but all went well with it.

Weds 25th – Easy miles
    31m – 3.33mi – 9:20min/mi

Easy miles on a gorgeous day!

Thurs 26th – W/U, 5*800m@7:10 off 200m, C/D
    51m – 8:38mi – 6:01min/mi

This was a nice little session, easy enough & quite enjoyable. Started listening to a runner abroad podcast with Sonia O’Sullivan, enjoying it so far.

Fri 27th – Rest

Sat 28th – Easy with strides
    30m – 3.15mi – 9:32min/mi

Easy run with a few strides thrown in before my MOMENT of destiny tomorrow:eek:

Sun 29th - Half Marathon TT
    1:34:13 – 13.12m – 7:11min/mi

Had decided that even though I don’t particularly like or feel good at TT’s that I wanted to do one after this block of training. I arrived at the park early, 3rd car in the carpark! Wasn’t sure if I wanted to wear a long sleeved top over my running vest or not but decided I didn’t need it, not sure if it was the nerves but I felt quite warm, plus I had treated myself to a lovely pair of navy & orange running shorts & matching vest top plus new orange socks which matched my 4% flyknits perfectly!! Off I went on a little warm up. Wanted to start at the O/S roundabout & knew I would roughly have 8 laps to do. I composed myself & set off. 1st mile beeped at 7:17, happy enough with this. The next few miles felt good 7:21,7:15,7:08,7:21, I was in a really good rhythm, feeling quite comfortable but not feeling like pushing on. I felt the laps were going by pretty quickly which was mad because in the 10k I felt like they dragged by! Over halfway now & still feeling good miles were 7:09,7:10,7:14,7:15,7:11,7:09, really felt like I was controlling this TT, not like any of the other ones which I felt I didn’t control well at all. My huge fear this week was that I would go out that little bit too fast & really struggle! That might be ok in a 5k or even a 10k but for a half it would have been horrendous… My plan was to do the 1st half at a comfortable enough pace then to judge it on how I was feeling & respond to this. I couldn’t believe I was heading towards my last lap! I felt strong which made me feel very happy, my training had been to make me stronger & this was the validation I needed. As I ran up the Furze road a few runners ran by me saying, great running & well done great pace, this perked me up. Just over 2 miles to go and I knew I could pick things up, pushed on still feeling strong, miles were 6:59 & 6:56. Was coming to the end of the Furze road & was working hard. Took a right down onto the Chesterfield Avenue to finish it out. Seen 13miles on my watch & decided to push a little harder! Thrilled to see the time on my watch, stopped it & caught my breath. Was thrilled with how it went & for knocking time off my Bohermeen effort.

Todays TT was more than getting a “PB” for myself. I enjoyed this training block, one or two not so great sessions but so many good days that filled me with confidence. I wanted to control todays TT, make a plan & stick to it. I did exactly that, decided to be a bit more cautious with the 1st half so that I didn’t repeat the 10k TT where I felt fecked & defeated. I felt strong for this whole TT & that honestly felt great. I could not ask for any more from this training block & would like to thank S, again for his patience & support.
    I shall be opening a celebratory can of Bulmers Light once this is uploaded!

December is going to be an easy enough month for me. I have been following plans continuously since DCM & while I have really enjoyed them I think I need to take it easy for a little bit. The Irony is there’ll be no Christmas parties & hangovers which has been the case on my other plans haha. No idea when races will be back but for now I will just keep plodding along enjoying my running :D

Finished it strong as well.

Excellent run

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Really fantastic run E, I'm in awe!! Such a strong finish, and the belief you had it in you too. Superb, enjoy the Bulmers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Excellent run. Well done E. No surprise this felt more controlled than the other TT's. 5k and 1M are basically balls to the wall (or whatever the equivalent is for a lady... Lol). 10k isn't easy to get right either. HM is a little more forgiving.

Well done again. Deserved result for super consistent training. And well done to S too for guiding you along. Enjoy the bulmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the HM TT and finishing strong like that. A great effort and much deserved! There was a familiar ring to that time :D Although you paced your effort miles better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Super stuff. Not easy to keep improving and stay motivated right now. Great TT.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks E, brilliant run, I enjoyed reading about it too! Some determination to keep it going through eight triangles, and finish fast into the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Nice H/M PB there. Great stuff. You never stop running! Well earned reward for all the hard work! Was there a 10 mile PB also buried in that run?

Finished it strong as well.

Excellent run

TbL

Thanks a mill, was very happy to feel so strong:)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Really fantastic run E, I'm in awe!! Such a strong finish, and the belief you had it in you too. Superb, enjoy the Bulmers!

Thank you! I think mentally & physically it all just clicked on the day:)
    Excellent run. Well done E. No surprise this felt more controlled than the other TT's. 5k and 1M are basically balls to the wall (or whatever the equivalent is for a lady... Lol). 10k isn't easy to get right either. HM is a little more forgiving.

Well done again. Deserved result for super consistent training. And well done to S too for guiding you along. Enjoy the bulmers!

Not even gonna try come up with a saying for a lady haha but yes I totally agree that a HM is way more forgiving;) The bulmers went down very nicely indeed:D
    Well done on the HM TT and finishing strong like that. A great effort and much deserved! There was a familiar ring to that time :D Although you paced your effort miles better!

Thanks a mill, I was being cautious & glad it worked out for me:)
    healy1835 wrote: »
    Super stuff. Not easy to keep improving and stay motivated right now. Great TT.:)

Thank you, happy with the improvement but more to have had something to focus on & keep me motivated:D
    Thanks E, brilliant run, I enjoyed reading about it too! Some determination to keep it going through eight triangles, and finish fast into the bargain.

Haha thanks a mill:) It actually wasn't half as bad as I thought:pac:
    DeepBlue wrote: »
    Nice H/M PB there. Great stuff. You never stop running! Well earned reward for all the hard work! Was there a 10 mile PB also buried in that run?

Haha yes I do run a lot;) Thanks so much, yes got a ten mile PB of 1:11 - a nice little added bonus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Seriously impressed with the consistent work you've put in and a justified reward for you. Well done.

Seriously impressed with the consistent work you've put in and a justified reward for you. Well done.

Thanks a mill! One thing I'm not afraid of is hard work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super running at the weekend E, you’re in super shape!!! 8 triangles is also mentally taxing & shows how strong you are in that department also not letting it phase you.

Was Coach out with the Zimmer frame.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    Super running at the weekend E, you’re in super shape!!! 8 triangles is also mentally taxing & shows how strong you are in that department also not letting it phase you.

Was Coach out with the Zimmer frame.........

I was there in spirit B. There isn't a Zimmer frame strong enough to hold me up at the moment. I need scaffolding :D

Advertisement