Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

skyblue46 wrote: »
    No, grumpy is more apt. :pac:

Believe me you'll know when I'm being grumpy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Melatonin can be effective. We have some for one of the boys and I sometimes help myself. Following your sleep consultation with great interest. If I could sleep like TbL he’d never get near me over 5k. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Melatonin can be effective. We have some for one of the boys and I sometimes help myself. Following your sleep consultation with great interest. If I could sleep like TbL he’d never get near me over 5k. ;)

You should try the magnesium lotion, if it works great if it doesn't at least you'll have soft lavender smelling skin ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

You should try the magnesium lotion, if it works great if it doesn't at least you'll have soft lavender smelling skin ;)

Damn it. Was just going to suggest lavender oil :D My friend swears by it for sleep troubles.

Hope you get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I've started using this recently and finding it great for sorting out restless legs, definitely helping me sleep through the night too!

• Advertisement

Mon 1st March, Weds 3rd, Fri 5th & Sat 6th - Easy Miles

Mon, Weds & Sat easy miles done early, some nice bright mornings.
    Fri was done after work & it had brightened up to so a nice run to clear the head.

Tues 2nd - W/U, 2Miles@8:30, 8:15, 8:00, C/D

8:27, 8:32, 8:17, 8:12, 8:00, 7:59

Nothing too strenuous about this session but nice to be gradually speeding up, always breaks up the session.

Thurs 25th Feb - Rest day

Sun 7th - 2mile easy, 2*(2mile@7:50, 2mile@8:40)2mile easy
    7:48,7:49,8:36,8:42,7:49,7:48,8:34,8:35

Tossed & turned a lot through the night, woke up early & was tempted to go back asleep but seen the sun beaming through so decided to head out. Stuck on my playlist & off I went. Wore the Speeds for this & loved them. Did the easy miles around 9min miles then eased into the 2mile reps. They felt good, consistent & my form was good throughout. Really felt strong on this run & felt I could have kept going.

Thursday night I received a call from my daughter in hysterics, she had been in a car crash with her friend & her friends little sister. Thank God everyone was ok. It was a collision with another car & both cars were wrote off. I went straight into mammy mode got to her & tried to reassure her the whole time I was with her. She had neck pain so was all strapped up with a neck brace, very scary to see. Because she's 20 I was not allowed into the hospital with her, after a CT, Xray & other examinations they let her & her friend home. I collected her sometime during the early hours of Friday morning. I slept knowing she was home & safe but as soon as I opened my eyes that morning I think the shock only hit me then. I was sent the photo's of the car & it is a miracle no one was seriously injured or even worse...I went for my run Friday evening after looking after her for the day & while she was sleeping, I really needed it!! Put on some good music & counted my blessings as I ran. Have enjoyed each run since still feeling so grateful.
    This leads onto my thoughts around my training...I have been feeling the lack of motivation a few weeks now & had asked S about his new training plan. He explained a lot of it to me & I have seen the runs on his log. I asked him a few weeks ago if I could maybe give it a go but he was a bit reluctant as he was only getting used to it himself & is cautious about letting me try it as it's not the usual plan people follow. I managed to convince him that I feel I would have nothing to loose by trying it. If I don't like it I go back to the conventional plans, to me I will still be running, still consistently but trying something that might motivate me a bit more. With absolutely nothing in the horizon race wise I feel now is the time to try new things. So I will be starting next week with hopefully the intention of doing it as a 5k plan.

49.6 Miles for the week
    414.3 miles for year to date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Glad to hear your daughter is ok, that’s scary my daughter is only starting to drive!

TbL

+1 to that. Must have been terrifying - but oa huge comfort to her to have the mammy looking after her.

Agree with you about the change of approach. Now is the best time to try new stuff. Got to keep it interesting. Good luck with it!

Glad to hear your daughter is ok, that’s scary my daughter is only starting to drive!

TbL

Thanks a mill! My own daughter isn't driving yet but is still talking about it so thankfully hasn't put her off.
    +1 to that. Must have been terrifying - but oa huge comfort to her to have the mammy looking after her.

Agree with you about the change of approach. Now is the best time to try new stuff. Got to keep it interesting. Good luck with it!

Thanks D, amazing no matter what age they/we need our mammies!
    Yeah I'm excited to try it & see where it goes, if it works brilliant, if doesn't just reevaluate!

Yikes Lainey! Glad your daughter is OK. What a call to get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Delighted to hear your daughter and friends escaped unharmed. Frightening experience for a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Glad your daughter is ok. What a scary call to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I know that fright. Got a call to say my Mum had been cut out of a car last year and sent pictures that stopped my heart. All good but close call. Great to hear your daughter and her friends are ok!

A 5k type plan makes sense as its flexible and you can do some bench marking without breaking down. I'm holding out a sliver of hope about DCM as I'd really like to get into a marathon block. Its a motivation rollercoatser these days but as Swashbuckler keeps saying, just enjoy the training day to day and know you are building a stronger base for the next race block.

Yikes Lainey! Glad your daughter is OK. What a call to get!

Thanks a mill, very scary indeed.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Delighted to hear your daughter and friends escaped unharmed. Frightening experience for a parent.
    Thanks B, it really is.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Glad your daughter is ok. What a scary call to get.

Thanks V.
    I know that fright. Got a call to say my Mum had been cut out of a car last year and sent pictures that stopped my heart. All good but close call. Great to hear your daughter and her friends are ok!

A 5k type plan makes sense as its flexible and you can do some bench marking without breaking down. I'm holding out a sliver of hope about DCM as I'd really like to get into a marathon block. Its a motivation rollercoatser these days but as Swashbuckler keeps saying, just enjoy the training day to day and know you are building a stronger base for the next race block.

Yeah its a very frightening call, not knowing what I was really facing till I got there. The pics were so scary, glad I didn't see any 1st! Thanks a mill.

Yes my thoughts really are why not give it a go, I do like the look of it & who knows it may really suit me. Would love to hear DCM is going ahead like so many runners but unfortunately no one knows yet when any races may be back so it seems like the perfect time for me to try this!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Hey E, glad to hear your daughter escaped unharmed from that crash - must be every parents worst nightmare getting a call like that.

In terms of your next steps, what's to gain by doing a 5k plan? We all know you have the speed, just need to work on your longer tempo stuff (just like me :D ). Would it not be more beneficial to you by doing another longer type training plan? Maybe not a HM, but more 10k-10miles? Is that even possible with S' type of training?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Wow what a fright! Thank god nobody was seriously hurt.

Treviso wrote: »
    Hey E, glad to hear your daughter escaped unharmed from that crash - must be every parents worst nightmare getting a call like that.

In terms of your next steps, what's to gain by doing a 5k plan? We all know you have the speed, just need to work on your longer tempo stuff (just like me :D ). Would it not be more beneficial to you by doing another longer type training plan? Maybe not a HM, but more 10k-10miles? Is that even possible with S' type of training?

Thanks a mill!

I told S either way I wanted to target a 5k, just to have another shot at it. At the moment it's about enjoyment for me not the masterplan of maximizing my marathon potential & that's what I explained to S. I'm not feeling long tempo type work at this time either. S has told me that there are schedules for distances up to a marathon. I'm not committing to anything but just want to try something different right now....

Wow what a fright! Thank god nobody was seriously hurt.

Thanks P the relief is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

OMG E that must have been such a fright, every parent's nightmare. Thankfully it ended well and your daughter is ok. My kids are small yet, eldest is 11, but I'm starting to fear for the years ahead, when they're small you think the sleepless nights are behind you when they eventually sleep through the night!

Good luck with the new approach. I don't doubt that S will steer you well in whatever approach you use.

ariana` wrote: »
    OMG E that must have been such a fright, every parent's nightmare. Thankfully it ended well and your daughter is ok. My kids are small yet, eldest is 11, but I'm starting to fear for the years ahead, when they're small you think the sleepless nights are behind you when they eventually sleep through the night!

Good luck with the new approach. I don't doubt that S will steer you well in whatever approach you use.

Thanks a mill, all a bit more relaxed now at this stage but still so so thankful! Yes I do think there are so many stresses involved with all the different stages of parenthood but yep I much preferred it when they were small!

Thanks a mill, looking forward to something a little different! Did my 1st one this morning & really enjoyed it - sure a change is as good as a rest:)

• Advertisement

Mon 8th March - 4miles Very Easy

Tues 9th - W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20sec before beginning next rep) , C/D

8,7:59,7:57,8:01,7:56,7;58

So the start of my new way of running! Was looking forward to this & wanted to get it right from the start. Set off on the 1k reps, these all felt good, a good pace but nothing too strenuous. Wanted to try keep the efforts consistent in these & again concentrate on form for all these runs. It was very strange to walk for 20 secs at the start & at the end but soon got the hang of it. All in all a good 1st run.

Weds 10th - W/U, 5*400@1:45/48, 400rec(walk 10secs, jog, walk 10secs)
    7*200@47/50, 200rec(walk 10secs, jog, walk 10secs), C/D
    1:45,1:45,1:46,1:46,1:47

I loved this run, the time just flew by! Again a bit strange walking for some of the recs but the 10secs were over in no time. The GPS seemed to hop a bit more than usual on my usual stretch of road(yep the Katherine Tynan road which my friends who think they are hilarious have named me in our group whatsapp chat!) The watch hopped a few times after about the 3rd rep so I just went with the efforts of the 1st few! Happy with this.

Thurs 11th - W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20sec before beginning next rep) , C/D

7:55,7:59,7:52,8:00,7:51,8:01

Repeat of Tuesday, felt I knew what to expect today. The wind played a factor in these reps today, 2,4 & 6 into a headwind. Just dialed into the efforts for these. I slowed down as the wind picked up then sped up if the wind eased off. Again happy with this even with the winds!

Fri 12th - New Rest day

Sat 13th - W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20sec before beginning next rep) , C/D

7:56,8:01,7:57,8:03,7:54,8:00

3rd time doing this run this week & again all went well. Kept the efforts honest & tried to be mindful of consistency for each rep & good form.
    On the path leading up to the start of my estate & I seen a young lad coming towards me on a moped, thinking to myself what a f*ckin dope but I ran onto the grass to obviously avoid him & the little pr*ck swerves towards me & practically laughs in my face!! I was livid, firstly with the freight I got then the anger:mad: I pulled my earphones out & think I called him every name under the sun, was still shaking with anger when I got home. This kind of mindless stuff grates on my nerves so much, what kind of a thrill do they get out of it...I will genuinely never know or get it!!

Sun 14th - 8*7mins@8:50 1min surge@7:40, 5min jog, 3*30secs hard off 1min jog

8:51,7:40, 8:47,7:38, 8:44,8:09, 8:41,7:44, 8:46,7:49, 8:47,7:42, 9:00,6:49, 8:54,7:33
    30 secs hard 6:45, 5:55, 6:04

Weather was ok heading out for this but the rain soon started, was drenched by the time I got home. Another interesting run. With the runs broke up the way they are they seem to go by so quickly which is great.

1st week done and I can say I have enjoyed it, it's a different way of running but all good for now:)

44.1 miles for the week

Mon 15th W/U, 10*400@1:45/48 off 400(walk 10secs, jog, walk 10secs), C/D

1:47,1:46,1:47,1:47,1:45,1:46,1:46,1:52,1:45,1:46

Took a couple of days off work so was able to do this after dropping my son back to school:D:D Yes a very, very happy mammy here! Set off to do the reps & realised I had programmed it incorrectly, had to stop & program it in again. Off I went, again trying to be consistent. The 10 reps felt good, well used to the walking now!

Whilst I had the few days off I decided to finally do up my bedroom. The grey wooden floors that have been here since getting downstairs done were finally put down in my room so I bought paint to change the colour of my wardrobes which are currently red(yes red:eek:) It was kind of a phase I went through! I spent the day prepping & painting them whilst blaring my Cheese playlist to the horror of my kids:D Hannibal_Smith you would have been soooo proud of my version of Flying without wings;) Sang & painted for most of the afternoon & my wardrobes are now a lovely shade of blush pink, just have to get the walls done then it'll be like a brand new room:D

A lot of talk on logs & the news about women's safety. As a female runner it's something I am well aware of & have always been. It's sad to think we have to be so aware of it all the time but unfortunately its the world we live in! I run alone 99% of the time, in the winter a lot of that is in the dark but I always make sure I feel safe & I have taken the necessary precautions to keep safe but sometimes that just isn't enough! I will not ever let that little bit of fear take over, I will continue to run & hope to god I never have anything to be truly afraid of!

Hannibal_Smith you would have been soooo proud of my version of Flying without wings

Haahaa. Ya gotta belt it out - its the only way :D

The fella on the moped though :mad:

Well, you seem well able for week 1 of the plan anyway. Some fun sessions in there alright. What exactly are you basing the paces on? (Sorry if I missed this).

Shame about the kid on moped. I think it’s good that you let him have it, hopefully it surprised him and he’ll think twice about doing it again. Obviously confrontation isn’t always the safest thing to do, but if he’s young enough maybe you can nip the behaviour in the bud. Careful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I'm way behind on logs but glad to hear your daughter is ok, must have been a scary few hours.

Ah I have a 5k buddy now! Looking forward to seeing how you get on. How many weeks is the plan? What effort levels are you doing the 400 metre repeats at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm sorry you had that experience with the guy on the moped. I don't know what is wrong some youths that they get their kicks by scaring innocent folks minding their own business :rolleyes:

Haahaa. Ya gotta belt it out - its the only way :D

The fella on the moped though :mad:
    ariana` wrote: »
    I'm sorry you had that experience with the guy on the moped. I don't know what is wrong some youths that they get their kicks by scaring innocent folks minding their own business :rolleyes:

Cheers ladies, it just baffles me! I think it was more anger than anything else.

Well, you seem well able for week 1 of the plan anyway. Some fun sessions in there alright. What exactly are you basing the paces on? (Sorry if I missed this)

Well as you know I kinda forced S(he knows i did kickboxing:) ) into letting me do the same kinda running as him. The paces are based on a chart in the book. 200 based on 3k race pace. 400 - between 5k & 10k, 1k - between half & full marathon race pace & 2k slightly lower intensity than 1k.
    All of these at the moment, just till I get used to not having easy days are at the easy end of the scale. I will be doing these based on my HR like S once my new watch arrives & I can establish a proper HR reading.

Ah I have a 5k buddy now! Looking forward to seeing how you get on. How many weeks is the plan? What effort levels are you doing the 400 metre repeats at?

As I am just getting used to it I will probably do these efforts etc for 3 weeks then I will get into the anaerobic stuff for about 6 - 8 weeks before targeting a 5k.

Tues 16th - W/U, 4*2k@8:05/8:15, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20sec before beginning next rep) , C/D

This was my 1st time doing the 2k reps. All felt good. The weather was gorgeous, lovely to be out in a tshirt & shorts listening to some good tunes. Only negative here was the chafing on my thighs which we can either put down to the heat or the fact my intentions to cut out crap for lent didn't go too well:p either way the last mile home hurt like hell:eek:

Weds 17th - W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)C/D

I wore my green, white & orange gear for Paddy's Day:D Another gorgeous day out there, makes such a difference to run in! Again this run went well, no issues at all, enjoyed it a lot.

Thurs 18th - Rest Day

Friday 19th- W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20secs), 4*30sec hard off 60sec(walk/shuffle) , C/D

Weather was lovely again so I decided to treat myself & wear the speeds:cool: Set off & was so comfortable for all of this, I'm not sure how to explain it but I honestly just love running this way now. I think I have always really enjoyed when my sessions were made up of different efforts & paces with bursts of speed etc so I did really think this way of running would really suit me & I was right! My motivation is exactly were I like it, looking forward to every run & mostly enjoying every run...exactly what I needed right now. I set off in the hard reps & ran hard, I absolutely loved this, the speed the buzz, it felt amazing! Long may it last;)

Sat 20th - Easy Miles

A bit cloudy but a nice plod around my usual route.

Sun 21st -W/U, 8*7mins@8:40/9 1min surge@7:50, C/D

Set out for this run a bit later than usual & was thrilled to see the sun out.Speeds, vest top & shorts kinda day:cool: Kept this nice & steady trying to stay closer to the 9min miles for the reps, then enjoyed the one min surges again at a controlled pace. Listened to some more new tunes that I added to my Run Forrest playlist & really enjoyed them!

Overall I can honestly say that I am really enjoying my running, I feel strong & not lacking energy or motivation which are all positives in my books - sure isn't that what this running lark is all about:p
    In other news after the strong encouragement of someone on here who shall remain nameless ;) I am now the proud owner of a pair of Endorphin Pro's:D

49.5 miles for the week
    507.9mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Are the Speeds The Saucony Endorphin Speeds?

Have heard good things, how do you rate them?
    My iso guides are on their last legs so will be on the look out for a go to training shoe shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sounds like you're having a blast :D great to see and oooh la la on the new shoes!!

Advertisement