Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

In other news after the strong encouragement of someone on here who shall remain nameless ;) I am now the proud owner of a pair of Endorphin Pro's:D

That person needs to be banned from the shoe thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Treviso wrote: »

It's the best thread on Boards ;)

My heart skips a beat every time I see there's an update.

Thank god for targeted advertising - The ad for the price reduction on the Pro popped up on Boards on my mobile. Same place I found the discount for the Metaracer, plus several others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Are the Speeds The Saucony Endorphin Speeds?

Have heard good things, how do you rate them?
    My iso guides are on their last legs so will be on the look out for a go to training shoe shortly.

Yes that's them! I love them. Each time I have worn them I love them a little more. They felt good straight from the box, no major getting used to them. I do like a runner with a bit of cushioning & bounce, hence I have two pairs of Novablasts but these have that cushioning & bounce feeling but not as spongy if that makes sense. They feel a little firmer but feel even better to run in! They kinda roll your foot forward like the asic gliderides but again so much better imo. I loved doing the hard 30 sec reps in them, felt like I was zooming along with little effort ;):D There's honestly nothing I don't like about them & I am looking forward to receiving the Pro's to see how they compare. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Speeds!

Sounds like you're having a blast :D great to see and oooh la la on the new shoes!!

Cheers, I really am! Yeah excited to try them out :)

Haha sure then I'd only own half the amount of runners I currently have :p

Thank god for targeted advertising - The ad for the price reduction on the Pro popped up on Boards on my mobile. Same place I found the discount for the Metaracer, plus several others.

Well I am glad I went on because it was a choice between 2 pairs of runners & well when you get a bargain like that, last pair in your size etc what else can you do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I've went down a RabbitHole on the Running Shoe Geeks FB page.
    Dont get me started on YouTube videos doing shoe reviews - at least an hour a day wasted this week

I've went down a RabbitHole on the Running Shoe Geeks FB page.
    Dont get me started on YouTube videos doing shoe reviews - at least an hour a day wasted this week

No interest in reviews.... Just deals deals deals!!!

In fairness ive done a fair bit of research especially when buying the endorphin Pro (the most I've spent on a shoe)

Mon - 22nd - 1hr Easy with 30sec strides at the end of each mile.

A nice easy run after work. My new watch arrived today Garmin 245 music so I set it up & wore for this run. Very happy with it.

Tues 23rd - W/U, 15*200@6:16/6:40 off 200, C/D

Another run after work, enjoying how bright it is. Set off for the reps & luckily I had it programmed on my watch as it would have been a lot of stones to carry;)

Weds 24th - W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Managed to get out for this at lunch time, nice to break up the day! I am really enjoying these & hoping that once my hr readings are correct that I will do the 1k's based on hr & not pace which will give me more scope to make sure I am doing them correctly based on my terrain & weather.

Thurs 25th - Rest Day

Friday 27th- W/U, 6*1k@7:50/8, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20secs), C/D

The weather was so weird for this, bit of sunshine, wind & very, very sore hailstones! I don't mind them hitting me anywhere else except my face, they hurt so much I think I almost cried:eek: Except for this again another really enjoyable run. Finally my HR looks like it's reading correctly. This will be useful now for my running.

Sat 28th - W/U, 6*1k, 800rec(walk 1st 20sec, jog then walk 20secs), C/D

It was gorgeous out running once the sun came out, still breezy but warm. Again I settled into this nicely but instead of using paces I used HR & it was great to see the difference when I was running into a strong wind as opposed to when it was calm & flat!This flew by, that's the thing about this every run seems to go by so quickly & I don't dread any run which is great. Happy with my HR again.

Sun 29th -Max HR test

Decided after speaking to S that it would be good idea to try this given the HR details seem to be quite accurate lately. I did a field test to try establish my Max HR, it was tough enough, especially the 2nd rep into a really strong wind & rain(but nothing at all compared to the hailstones!!!) I pushed myself but it is hard pushing yourself to the max when alone! Overall I was pretty happy with the efforts so it now gives S a lot more accurate figures to work with & reassures me that I do in fact have a relatively normal heartbeat:P

Very happy with another weeks enjoyable training!

42.9 miles for the week
    550.8mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff - give us a few details on the HR session. People are always asking the best way to find out max HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Runningirl

We must of been running at the same time!! Those hailstones were killer :eek: and it turned so cold! My face was red raw :mad:

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good stuff - give us a few details on the HR session. People are always asking the best way to find out max HR.

I went out for my usual warm up to the Katherine Tynan road where I do most of my sessions/reps. Did a few strides then the plan was to do roughly 800m at my max but to build it up as I went. I was to try run at about 90 - 95% of my max for the 1st half then build up to the 100%, being careful not to tire my lungs or legs before reaching it. My focus was not paces & how fast I could run this, it was to push my heart as high as I could. I think I went a bit too fast for the 1st half of the 1st one so had to try my best to push the 2nd half, took a bit of a walk/shuffle in between then set off again but this time it was into a very strong wind so was really hard to push the effort as much as I wanted to. Did it a 3rd time & was much happier with this, the 1st half was pushed but controlled & I felt I pushed as much as I could, but really can you get a max on your own?? Could I have pushed harder if someone else had been there to shout/encourage me, who knows! Happy enough to go with the figures for now. Looking forward to using this information now for parts of my runs.

Runningirl wrote: »
    We must of been running at the same time!! Those hailstones were killer :eek: and it turned so cold! My face was red raw :mad:

Oh god it was horrible! I was trying to protect my face with my hood:pac:

I went out for my usual warm up to the Katherine Tynan road where I do most of my sessions/reps. Did a few strides then the plan was to do roughly 800m at my max but to build it up as I went. I was to try run at about 90 - 95% of my max for the 1st half then build up to the 100%, being careful not to tire my lungs or legs before reaching it. My focus was not paces & how fast I could run this, it was to push my heart as high as I could. I think I went a bit too fast for the 1st half of the 1st one so had to try my best to push the 2nd half, took a bit of a walk/shuffle in between then set off again but this time it was into a very strong wind so was really hard to push the effort as much as I wanted to. Did it a 3rd time & was much happier with this, the 1st half was pushed but controlled & I felt I pushed as much as I could, but really can you get a max on your own?? Could I have pushed harder if someone else had been there to shout/encourage me, who knows! Happy enough to go with the figures for now. Looking forward to using this information now for parts of my runs.

Sounds good. You might be right about the point about whether you'd get more in a race or group training situation eg but I'm sure S will factor that into his calculations. ;) Looks like you executed well from your Strava trace, and new info is always useful.

Sounds good. You might be right about the point about whether you'd get more in a race or group training situation eg but I'm sure S will factor that into his calculations. ;) Looks like you executed well from your Strava trace, and new info is always useful.

Thanks D, I really do think it's different in a race environment but all we can do is our best! I'm not gonna lie, I absolutely loved pushing myself, that buzz associated with speed is great! Can't wait to get back to racing:D

Mon - 29th - W/U, 10*400@1:48/52, C/D

Went out for this run straight after work. It was a gorgeous sunny evening but still quite breezy. I settled into this easily & kept the reps consistent.

Tues 30th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)3*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Another gorgeous evening to run. It was really warm, loved it. This was my 1st time doing these 1K reps by heart rate. This will take a bit of getting used to, factoring in the wind & drags etc on my routes. It was mad to see the difference of some of the paces for the same HR.

Weds 31st - W/U, 7*200@6:00 off 45secs, 1min shuffle, 8*200@6:20 200rec, C/D

This was a little harder than the 200's I have previously done but I absolutely loved it. I know I have said it previously but the runs just genuinely fly by. Hit all the paces & was happy with how I felt running each one, I feel like my running form is so much lighter & better since starting this which can only be a good thing:)

Thurs 1st April - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)3*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Was finishing work today for a few days so was under so much pressure to get stuff done! Went out for this run a lot later than I expected but it was such a welcomed stress release! A repeat of Tues run & again was mad seeing the different HR readings & paces for different parts of this run. Felt I controlled the HR better, will just have to keep practicing :D

Friday 2nd April- W/U, 10*400@1:48/52, C/D

Went out for this in the afternoon after doing some bits & pieces at home. It was a bit chilly starting off but I wasn't long taking my jacket off & running in my vest top, the KT road is a sun trap so it was roasting, it felt great! This went well, again focusing on consistency.

Sat 3rd - Rest Day

Sun 4th - W/U, 5*7@145bpm with 1 min@6:50/7 after each 7mins, C/D

I had quite a restless night of sleep & was woken up at about 4.30 & it took me about an hour to fall back asleep. I think maybe this affected my HR as this felt a little harder than I had thought it would. The one mins were a nice surge, happy with another week of training.

While most people look forward to all the chocolate on Easter, I made a trifle(stayed away from them since Christmas) & was sooooo happy to eat my way through a huge bowl of it :D

Signed up for the 5K anniversary TT in a few weeks time. I am only a week into the 5k stuff so I will give it a good go but it's not my main focus. I will do one once I finish the 5K stuff & hopefully see where I truly am. I hate the pain of a 5k(sure who doesn't) so am thinking that maybe doing a few together may hopefully benefit me! I would be hoping to do a better time than last year but I have a record of having good & bad 5k races/TT's so we will see:p
    Mad to think it was a year ago...

45.7 miles for the week
    596.5 mi for the year so far

Mon - 5th - W/U, 10*400@1:48/52, C/D

Very cold starting off this run but thankfully the sun came out & it got nice & warm. I like doing these reps, was windy enough out but enjoyed this!
    Last week when the weather was actually warm I ran a few times in my vest tops & jaysus I got some terrible chaffing on my right inner arm, I stupidly told them when I went home & now the running joke is that I have one fat arm or one bingo wing...did I mention how hilarious they all are:rolleyes: So everytime I went to move my arm one of them would say duck, ma might hit you with her fat arm! Obviously they have continued with the joke & probably will forever because again they are hilarious like that...

Tues 6th - W/U, 4*2k@1:42/45bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)3*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Again very cold for this! I warmed up & got into this nicely, controlling the HR as steadily as possible(think I'm getting a bit better at this).
    I finished the very last episode of The Office, I really wasn't expecting to see some of the cameos in it, really enjoyed it but was sad it was the last one, have really enjoyed it! May just have to go back to the start as I am sure there may be some episodes I have missed or forgotten:p

Weds 7th - W/U, 2*1k@6:30/40/400@6:10/20 with 2mins rec & 7mins between sets, 4min jog, 6*200@6:1/40 200rec, C/D

Really enjoyed this session. Settled into a nice consistent pace for the 1k & 400s. A generous recovery inbetween & then I was off again. I wore my speeds for this, god I just love them:D I Really got to feel how responsive they are for the faster 1k reps, can't wait to see what the Pro's feel like! Settled nicely into the 200's & again I really enjoyed the bit of speed, very happy with this.

Thurs 8th April - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)3*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Sooooooo much love for running yesterday, absolutely none for this run:(
    It's been a while since I have properly moaned/given out so apologies for this rant...
    To say this run was uncomfortable & unloved is an understatement!!! EVERYTHING & I do mean everything about this run bothered me:rolleyes: The running bra I chose, the headphones getting tangled in my top, the zip breaking on my ONLY DCM top so having to use a hairclip to open it for air as it was zipped right up to my neck, the horrendous wind(to put this into perspective for most of the reps I was running about 7:45ish pace, 2nd last rep a tornado kind of wind heads towards me & all of a sudden I am running over 9:30 pace staying in my HR zones!!!!), the cramps in my stomach along with the bloated feeling, the songs spotify was choosing to play from my list & finally to top it off my one fat arm was even bothering me!!!
    Yep today I was little miss Grumpy:mad: It's a long time since I have felt like this after a run(thank god) so once dinner was served up I announced that I was locking myself in the bathroom for a VERY long soak & under NO circumstances was I to be disturbed - not even if it was a matter of life or death!!

Friday 9th - W/U, 2*800 C/D - Max HR test

So this was totally my decision. After seeing my HR raise to 170 for some of the session I did on Wednesday & me not feeling fooked from it at all, I decided I must not have tried hard enough or done the last test correctly so I informed S I was doing another one. Well the short of it is that I reached a max of 171 & did feel a lot more fooked than Wednesday so the figures stick for now;)

Sat 10th - Rest Day

Sun 11th - Fast Endurance 9K - W/U, 6*7mins@8/8.10 with 1 min surges,C/D

The sun was shining for most of this but it was freezing for at least half of it! Was nice running in the sun & eventually feeling the heat from it. The 1st half was a little bit hilly & a few drags so it did take me a bit to settle into this & I felt the effort was a bit higher than I have been use to of late, but the 2nd half I really felt I got a into a nice zone so really enjoyed it. It did really warm up so was happy to take my layer off knowing I had put some body glide on my fat arm so there was absolutely no worry of chaffing:D

Overall another really enjoyable week, I have already forgotten about THAT bad day:pac:
    I received my copy of the EIM book & have started reading it, very interesting so far, have to say the main differences I am noticing now is my running form & just feeling so much lighter on my feet, also the lack of fatigue in my legs is great. The main reason for wanting to do it was for the motivation end of things, simply put it looked fun & the kind of running I would respond to & thankfully I have. It is still early days but one happy runner here(except for THAT day ;) )

45 miles for the week
    641.5 mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I finished the very last episode of The Office, I really wasn't expecting to see some of the cameos in it, really enjoyed it but was sad it was the last one, have really enjoyed it! May just have to go back to the start as I am sure there may be some episodes I have missed or forgotten:p

Myself and the OH are currently watching the US office for the 3rd or 4th time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was googling this week ‘how to run lighter on your feet’ - any tips?! I’ve noticed I sound like a bloody elephant coming along the path and I’m not the size of an elephant I promise!

I assume the general unhappiness with running on Thursday can all be tied back to the cramps :p I dunno if you’ve ever read Stacy Sims Roar book, but it’s been life changing for me when it comes to cramps and general moodiness around them with the simple addition of certain vitamins each month. Could be worth trying.

And I just finished a rewatch of The Office too :) so many genuine laugh out loud moments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Awaits the backlash.......

I find The Office not remotely funny, as for Ricky Gervais, he’s less funny than The Office!!!

Myself and the OH are currently watching the US office for the 3rd or 4th time

Yep I'm gonna start again, it's such an easy program to watch!
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was googling this week ‘how to run lighter on your feet’ - any tips?! I’ve noticed I sound like a bloody elephant coming along the path and I’m not the size of an elephant I promise!

I assume the general unhappiness with running on Thursday can all be tied back to the cramps :p I dunno if you’ve ever read Stacy Sims Roar book, but it’s been life changing for me when it comes to cramps and general moodiness around them with the simple addition of certain vitamins each month. Could be worth trying.

And I just finished a rewatch of The Office too :) so many genuine laugh out loud moments :)

I found most of my easy runs felt heavy & like I was plodding along, with no consistent plod pace on these runs I feel I just run lighter, I feel tall for a short person :D unfortunately no real tips other than maybe make yourself feel tall, however you can, maybe visualise someone straightening your back because you are slouching, this will make you think about your form & in turn hopefully feel lighter on your feet...worth a go!

No I've never read it but will defo have a look...anything that helps! Oh to be a man:rolleyes:

Yep constantly laughing & sometimes shocked at the stuff they got away with!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Awaits the backlash.......

I find The Office not remotely funny, as for Ricky Gervais, he’s less funny than The Office!!!

Totally entitled to your opinion B :D

I think you are completely wrong though! I absolutely love Ricky Gervais!

Have you watched the American One?

• Advertisement

Totally entitled to your opinion B :D

I think you are completely wrong though! I absolutely love Ricky Gervais!

Have you watched the American One?

Nope!! I struggled to watch the very first series of the British one, that was enough for me. I’ve seen plenty of Gervais since & I just don’t find him funny whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I found most of my easy runs felt heavy & like I was plodding along, with no consistent plod pace on these runs I feel I just run lighter, I feel tall for a short person unfortunately no real tips other than maybe make yourself feel tall, however you can, maybe visualise someone straightening your back because you are slouching, this will make you think about your form & in turn hopefully feel lighter on your feet...worth a go!

See I already don't slouch either.. I just land heavily! I'll keep watching YouTube videos sure :p

I'm rewatching The Sopranos. Only 4 episodes left. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Have you watched Extras?

I like The Office but would put Extras above it. Some brilliant episodes of actors playing a parody of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah I feel I should join in on this. I watched Utd v Spurs, watching The Masters now, Line of Duty at 9pm before switching back for the back 9 from Augusta. :-)

I'm rewatching The Sopranos. Only 4 episodes left. :(

Think I’ve watched Band of Brothers 7/8 times myself and doing it again at the moment.

Are we talking American or UK office here coz world's apart in terms of humour?

Have watched the American office series three times. Brilliant.

I do like the English office but definitely think the American one is better! Ah the Sopranos, great show watched it 1st time around & loved it, another to maybe rewatch ;)
    Yeah Extras is funny, well the few i've seen :D

Superstore is worth a watch too. Been our go to "brainless humour" half an hour easy watch before bed the past month or so.

• Advertisement

Superstore is worth a watch too. Been our go to "brainless humour" half an hour easy watch before bed the past month or so.

Friday Night Dinner is ours.

Advertisement