Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Can I throw my hat in the TV ring? What we Do In The Shadows and Schitts Creek are our mega finds of lockdown. Although we've gone through everything at this stage, we'll regularly go back to those two for a chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Have you watched Extras?

I like The Office but would put Extras above it. Some brilliant episodes of actors playing a parody of themselves.

Yes, I like it, but prefer When The Whistle Blows :D

We started rewatching Breaking Bad last week. Amazing how much of it we'd forgotten 8+ years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Yes, I like it, but prefer When The Whistle Blows :D

Brilliant! Almost choked on my lunch reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mon - 12th - W/U, 10*400@1:48/52, C/D

The rain started during my warm up, it was actually nice running in it because it was quite mild. A nice run to start the week off & after the rain came a beautiful rainbow.

Tues 13th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Went out for this after work, settled into this nicely. Found I kept the paces/HR quite consistent. Also kept the recoveries at a controlled pace so that I could get the best out of the 1K reps.

Weds 14th - W/U, 2*400(3k pace),300(1500 pace),200(800 pace),100(almost max pace)(100 rec between each)5min jog between sets, 4*400@7:12/24 400rec, C/D

The sun was shining for this so I was in great humour heading out. I put on my Run Forrest Run playlist & off I went. It will come of absolutely no surprise that I loved this. The speed felt great:D

Thurs 15th April - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

This run was really nice, my mind wandered to the Hillsborough Disaster as I had seen a few things earlier online, read a really poignant poem, written as if it was one of the children who died that day separated from his dad, very sad.

On a happier note it was my daughters 24th birthday, funny I never really feel old till it's her birthday, even though I have a grandson it just feels mad thinking I have a daughter that age! Lot's of cupcakes & pressies:D

Friday 16th - W/U, 10*400@1:48/52, C/D

Went out at lunchtime for this while the weather was nice. Good little session.

Sat 10th - Rest Day
    I defo wouldn't have a green finger but decided to get some plants & pots & try sort out the back garden. I love colour so bought 4 beautiful Orchids, 1 pink, 1 orange & 2 yellow. They flowered in the house before I put them in the bigger pots & were gorgeous. I also got some sunflower seeds as they are flowers i love, they look like happy flowers, I love how bright they are! I planted them in little cartons so hoping they sprout over the next few weeks to plant outside & fingers crossed they flower late summer:D I think I am now a gardener:pac:

Sun 11th - Fast Endurance 9K - W/U, 6*7mins@8/8.10 with 1 min surges,C/D

Headed out to the PP for this & ran a different route outside the park. This run was a little tough to start as it was a bit uphill but once I got into routine it felt good. This is a really good training run, the varied paces keep you on your toes. Finished off into the park & it was quite packed. Looked like there were a few unofficial races going on. Was heading back to the visitor centre & I seen a few lads cheering & clapping with little bottles of water, cheering a mate on... it actually gave me goosebumps & made me smile... god I can't wait for that feeling again:p

47.6 miles for the week
    689mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'll have to keep an eye out for yourself and S on that "new route outside the park". It passes fairly close to my house and I'd run those roads quite a bit in winter especially.

• Advertisement

Mon 19th - 10*400's

Nice lunchtime run.

Tues 20th - 6*1K reps with 800rec & 4*30sec surges

Another lunchtime run, weather was lovely again.

Weds 21st - 3*1k@5/10k effort, 8*200's

A good session with the 5k TT coming up, feeling very apprehensive about this, hopefully all goes well. The sun made a very welcomed appearance:D

Thurs 22nd - 6*1K reps with 800rec & 4*30sec surges

A repeat of Tuesdays session. Happy with this.

Fri 23rd - 15*200's, 200 rec

Had to wait till after work for this as I was so busy. It was a beautiful sunny evening, really enjoyed running in it.

Sat 24th - Rest Day

Sun 25th - Boards 5k TT

Very nervous running this, after basically a lot of base training i wasn't really sure where I was! Had all my gear laid out last night & felt that happy nervousness that almost compared to the night before a race! Set of to the PP and parked on the Furze road. Did my warm up, had decided to wear the 4% fly knits as they still have miles on them, felt really good. Got my mind into the zone and set off. Really happy to keep this consistent & not kill myself as I didn't know mentally if I'd be strong enough to hold on like a lot of others can. The 1st 3k went by really quickly & I was feeling comfortable. The next k a little harder but nothing like I've experienced previously! The last k got tough & I pushed on, I was afraid it would be short so ran slightly over the distance. Thrilled to see 20:28 for the 5k which is an unofficial PB for me. The main aim of today's run was to feel the race pain again, to see where I am at. Everything clicked today, my pace, my form, my breathing & my mind. Going away from this with some confidence.

On reflection of this TT, I didn't give it my all, I never had that sick feeling, there were no major doubts in my head to stop because it was too painful. I did have terrible nerves before hand, I really didn't know if I was even capable of last years time never mind being better. I needed to get confidence from this run, this was way more important to me than a huge PB. I finally wanted to be able to run a 5k with some control & consistency. I felt strong throughout, my posture felt good, my strides felt lighter, hopefully all benefits of my recent training.
    I have about 4 weeks left of my new 5k running structure and my goal at the end of it has always been to attempt a sub 20. The TT has given me the confidence to believe that I have a good chance of achieving it, who knows I might even take the Endorphin Pro's out for a spin for it;)

Miles for the week 47.6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done great running, definitely more in the tank.

Consistency paying off

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done E, sounds a very well raced TT more akin to a tune up run.
    Very well placed for sub 20 next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great stuff. Very controlled indeed... Fair play on a super time. I won't jinx you by commenting on your next effort. Let's celebrate this one first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I mean, running that time and not feeling like you gave it your all is a pretty good position to be in. Nice one, and looking forward to seeing what you can do at the end of the plan..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It can often take a 5k or two to dial into the appropriate effort, so to produce that time without feeling like you emptied the tank is very impressive. Great to read that this TT gave you some confidence - you've put in super training for a sustained period and to this onlooker there is no reason why you shouldn't be confident. Another few weeks of 5k specific stuff will have you nice and sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the TT - not a great route for a TT so that's worth more time as well!!

I'm intrigued by this new plan, I've not seen anything like it previously - I seen the book recommended this week by Mal McCausland (NI Journalist)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes A, the book has got quite a few positive reviews. It's an interesting method and one which I am absolutely loving to this point. Obviously there isn't much I can say after 10 weeks that proves any effectiveness as I was/am building back very slowly after my months of PF issues. It is a leap of faith to move away from the combination of easy jogs and big sessions to relatively low intensity interval sessions daily.

The main thinking behind the method is something he calls "souplesse" which he translates as reactivity. It reminds me of L's concentration on form and control over hitting target paces. It's about training the muscles that you use for a lighter and faster run without fatiguing them rather than training the muscles that you use when you 'plod' or working yourself to the point of needing lots of recovery.

There are many other interesting ideas such as using zero drop shoes and doing "mixed" long runs which are basically a stop start session of hills, strides, tempos and cruise intervals interspersed with stops to do planks, press ups, drills and plyometrics.

I will definitely try the zero drop shoes as his logic behind it made sense to me. The mixed long run will be worth a try when I move to the HM and Marathon training schedules.

If you want a read of it I could meet you in the Park one of the days...

All I know is that I am really enjoying my training & Sunday has given me the boost I need.

Reading back over what I wrote, I hope it doesn't come across that I for 1minute thought it was easy! It most definitely wasn't but I felt in a much better place than I ever have for any 5k race/TT previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »

If you want a read of it I could meet you in the Park one of the days...

Oh God no - my coach would disown me - I'm enjoying not looking at different training plans this last couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Runningirl

Wow!!!...20:28! that’s an amazing time and to run it in a TT is even more amazing! I’m looking forward to seeing what you do when races start back!

Runningirl wrote: »
    Wow!!!...20:28! that’s an amazing time and to run it in a TT is even more amazing! I’m looking forward to seeing what you do when races start back!

Thanks a mill :) Really happy with my running at the moment!

Mon 26th - W/U, 10*400@6:36/7, C/D
    Such a beautiful day to run. Felt very fresh for this, could have kept running:)

Tues 27th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Nice run.

Weds 28th - W/U, 2*1200 progressing from MP to 800m pace, 7*200's, C/D

It was a cold & windy day. Settled into the 1st rep running into the wind so went by effort for the progressing paces. Started into the 2nd one & felt really good for it, happy not to be running into the wind.

Thurs 29th April - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Back into the office today, 1st time since December, even had to take down my Christmas decorations :pac: Was lovely getting dressed up in real clothes & doing my hair & make up, felt extra glam haha. Put on a pair of heels & my feet were having none of it at 1st, they were thinking where the fook are the fluffy socks or runners:eek: Moved to a new office which is so much brighter & airier than my last thank god, not sure when I'll be in again but it's nice to know i'll be back to a lovely office. Evening was lovely so another good run.

Friday 30th - W/U, 10*400@6:36/7, C/D

Set off for this run listening to my kickass dance tunes playlist. Some really good songs for the fast reps. 2nd day borrowing my daughters Airpods, jaysus what a game changer! What rock have I been living under:eek: I couldn't believe they never moved & that I could tap one & the song would change. My daughters were delighted I loved them because they now know what to get for my birthday:D Listened to a bit of UB40 for my cool down, apparently not to everyone's taste;)

Sat 1st May - Rest Day

Sun 2nd - Fast Endurance - W/U, 6*7mins@8.09 with 1 min surges,C/D

A nice bright morning for this. Everything just felt really good about this run, the 7 mins then the surges which I felt strong & controlled for. Took a different route this morning, used to use this a lot for my DCM training, nice out & back.

I know I am more of a cadence runner, sometimes doing my fast reps my cadence has gotten up to 228, I was recently told that my little tiny fast steps are like that of a wind up toy, and now when I run fast that's all I can think of me taking tiny fast steps:pac:

48.3 miles for the week
    785.2 mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nothing wrong with some UB40 for cool down... Kingston Town I'll sing out loud.

228 :eek: roadrunner springs to mind :) I generally get to 175 for intervals and 180-190 for strides. Easy plod today 157.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

At least now we all see why you have so many pairs of runners, with such a high cadence. If anything, I think you should buy more :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Someone looking for new runners? :D

Nothing wrong with some UB40 for cool down... Kingston Town I'll sing out loud.

228 :eek: roadrunner springs to mind :) I generally get to 175 for intervals and 180-190 for strides. Easy plod today 157.

Love a bit of UB40! Haha I'd say I'm just as annoying as roadrunner :pac:
    Treviso wrote: »
    At least now we all see why you have so many pairs of runners, with such a high cadence. If anything, I think you should buy more :-)

Well it is my birthday soon :D
    Someone looking for new runners? :D

Hilarious:D

Mon 3rd May - W/U, 10*400@6:36/7, C/D

A cold horrible, miserable day.

Tues 4th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Quite a breezy day for this. As I run these reps on the same route most of the time I was happy to see some improvements in my fitness based on my HR readings & given the conditions of the day.

Weds 5th - W/U, 3*1k @5/10k effort, 8*200's, C/D

There were some really heavy hail showers in the morning so I was praying they'd clear by lunchtime because if there's one thing that makes me cry its hailstones hitting me:eek:
    Luckily it was mostly blue skies when I went out, still quite breezy when I went out but very happy with the reps:)

Thurs 6th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Nice run.

Friday 7th - W/U, 15*200, C/D

Another lunchtime run but the weather was a lot nicer today, really enjoyable run.

Sat 1st May - Darkness Into Light - I woke up & heard the rain, it sounded absolutely horrible! My 1st thought was to stay in bed sure there'd be no sunrise in those thick black clouds! I thought of the people who struggle every day to just get out of bed, fighting their battles & demons, then I seen my tshirt & thought of the poor souls who couldn't fight any longer... up I got & headed to my local park to walk & be there for sunrise. There was no sunrise but again my mind went back to the people sadly lost to this horrible illness, but I also felt so grateful for still having others in my life that because of the help they received from Pieta house & organisations like it are still here today. I made my donations & seen the massive amount raised on the Late Late alone! The Irish people are amazing for giving at times like these.
    Remember even on the darkest, cloudiest days, the clouds will disappear & the sun will shine again<3

Sun 9th - Fast Endurance - W/U, 4*7mins@7:35/45 with 1 min surges @6:30/40,C/D

Was after lunch when I went out for this. The sun was shining & it was warm so just a vest top & shorts for this. Jaysus it was very breezy out there! I was working hard for these reps into the wind but overall I really enjoyed it. Happy to have another week done.
    I entered the Antrim half marathon at the end of August. The views look amazing & it seems to be a pretty fast course(obviously hoping it's a good day!!!) but even if it's a bad day surely it couldn't be any worse than Bohermeen:eek:
    For someone that can hardly find her way around Dublin I do think it's hilarious that I just book these things then hope for the best:pac:

46.7 miles for the week
    831.9 mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Looks like all the kool kids are doing Antrim :)

TbL

Looks like all the kool kids are doing Antrim :)

TbL

Haha who are all these cool kids:cool:

Mon 10th May - W/U, 10*400@6:36/7, C/D

A very windy day. Wore my cap & it blew off my head onto a quiet road, must have looked quite funny to the walkers as I chased it & tried to stand on it to catch it!

Tues 11th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Gorgeous evening for this run after work.

Weds 12th - W/U, 15*200's, C/D

Bloody Jekyll & Hyde weather :rolleyes: The heavens opened & I was soaked to the bone! Session went well.

Thurs 13th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Took the day off work to go to the Zoo with my daughter & grandson. It was such a lovely day & felt very peaceful there, no crowds & a one way system. He absolutely loved all the animals but was fascinated with the Giraffes, one of them was practically beside us & Leon loved it, they are such beautiful animals. We went outside & bought him a giraffe teddy & a red monkey with a grey face, hasn't put the monkey down since. We sat down on a blanket outside the Tea rooms & had a little picnic while Leon played with his teddies, I just love the imagination & innocence of that age...such a great day:)

Beautiful evening, felt really good on this & enjoyed my playlist more than usual!

Friday 14th - W/U, 10*400, C/D
    Back in the office 2 days a week, Wed & Fri for now. Did the session in the evening again & was happy with it.

Sat 15th - WU, 2K, 400@5/10K effort, 2*1K
    easy 400recs, c/d

Did the warm up & settled into the 1st 2k rep, 1st half of it was into a headwind, was happy when I turned around. 1min jog then into the 400 which went well. Finished off with my usual easy 1k reps by HR.
    After sitting in the hairdressers from 8 that morning for over 3 hours I prayed it wouldn't rain whilst on my run...but of course it rained, just as it started Queen came on my playlist, The show must go on, I laughed & finished off the run:p

Sun 9th - Rest

Thrilled to see Liverpool win with a magnificent winning goal by the keeper! Still keeping our Champions League dream alive;)

Looking forward to the main event next week:p Hopefully all goes well in my sub 20 5k attempt ... After that I will be looking forward to introducing longer runs back into my weekly mileage with more than likely the EIM half plan to tide me over till Marathon training which I am sooooooo excited about:D

45.7 miles for the week
    877.6 mi for the year so far

Mon 17th May - W/U, 10*400@6:36/7, C/D

Lunchtime run, nothing much to report.

Tues 18th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

There was torrential rain for the 1st 10mins of this so once I got soaked to the skin I stopped jumping over puddles:p The hailstones came then the sun & finally a rainbow. I actually felt quite invigorated by this run because thankfully it wasn't cold!
    Home for lot's of cupcakes, tea & pressies :D

Weds 19th - W/U, 15*200's, C/D

Thankfully the sun came out for this.

Thurs 20th - W/U, 4*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Another wet & windy day, glad I was able to fit this in at lunchtime as the day progressively got worse!

Friday 21st - W/U, 6*400 extra easy, C/D

Got this done after work, enjoyed it & my tunes with my new airpods:D

Sat 22nd - Rest Day

Sun 23rd - 5K TT Report - 20:14

It's absolutely no secret to anyone who reads my log that I would kinda like to go sub 20;) So today was to be my attempt!!!

Felt really good all week & had confidence from the TT a few weeks back. Had my gear laid out as if it was a race, after sleeping so well for the last few weeks of course the night I wanted to nod off didn't quite happen so easily:rolleyes:
    Set off to meet S in the PP as he kindly offered to pace me. Met him & we set off for a warm up. He had looked at the original Jingle Bells course which is what we were going to run. Went back to the car to change into my Endorphin Pro's & take my running jacket off. We had discussed how I wanted to run this, my instructions were to go even paced, which is exactly what he did.
    Up to the start & off we went, all seemed ok, wasn't too cold & thankfully no rain. Just thinking to myself that I need to be prepared to feel some pain & work hard for this.
    Passed The Phoenix Monument & onto Chesterfield Avenue, was starting to hurt a bit, the further we got down the road I could feel my breathing getting heavier, I could feel myself hurting, all I could think was why is this SO much harder than a few weeks ago, I definitely didn't feel the 5k pain & hurt in the last one, it wasn't easy but nothing like this!!
    We got to the roundabout & headed down the Ordnance Survey Road, fook someone please help me, I kept looking ahead at S who just seemed to be cruising along, fook this was hurting, will I pull the plug? Will I just call it a day? As the gap was growing I knew the sub 20 was off the cards...but I really didn't want to walk off & not finish it, I really didn't want to let S down after him taking the effort to help me, in my mind at that point in time I was only continuing this because S was there!!! Now i've had time to think more, I genuinely would like to think that I would have fought through the pain & not given up:o
    S shouted words of encouragement & I could feel myself picking up the pace a little, I had done my woe is me bit during the hurt but now I just wanted to dig deep & finish this in a respectable time for me!!
    I could feel a little pep in my step going down the Upper Glen Road, S still encouraging as much as he could. I knew where the finish was, I could see the turn ahead, that's all I wanted to focus on, C'mon Elaine, dig deep, you've got this, as I turned to see where the finish was I glanced at my watch but didn't even get to see what was on it, S shouted stop looking at your watch, sprint, strong finish, c'mon you can do it, so for the last time I dug as deep as I could & ran till I heard the beeps! I knew I hadn't gotten what I set out for but it was a PB from my last TT which I was really happy with! Sat on the steps to compose mysefl for a few mins then set off on a cooldown once we got our jackets! Bumped into C who was running with his crew but so nicely stopped to see how I got on:) Appreciate it C & nice having a brief chat with you!

Ok so without boring too many people I want to put my thoughts down here!
    Firstly I am very happy with taking more time off my 5k, as is only human I felt a little meh because I didn't get what I wanted but I'm over that:p
    Secondly there is a slight vulnerability about putting a particular goal out there, it just makes you feel way more accountable, & that maybe now you haven't quite met peoples expectations, but I think that's what we do as people we feel a bit silly that we put certain goals out there & then don't achieve them:pac:
    Thirdly I really do think I am not an even paced kind of a runner, I seem to do much better with negative splits, If I have a strong 1st half I seem to control it better & have a stronger finish, will never be a go out fast then hold on for dear life kinda person;)
    Fourthly I am not disappointed because I have now gotten 2 consecutive PB's, and my previous 5k times were not soft plus the last time I attempted to go sub 20 I completely blew up & today I didn't so for me that's all positive:D

One thing I will take away from this is how different running 5ks can be, unbelievable to think I felt none of this a few weeks back!!
    Again a huge thanks to S for all his support & patience.

Now to put my Liverpool Jersey, pour a cold Bulmers Light & hopefully watch them secure a Champions League spot:D

Edit: New PB at my new age ;)

44.1 miles for the week
    921.7 mi for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey, well done, E, a PB is a great result and 20:14 is a super time, all the more so when you had to hang on to achieve it. That JB course is harder than it looks. Ran 20:02 on it once! :rolleyes:

Maybe you should challenge someone to a race. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hey, well done, E, a PB is a great result and 20:14 is a super time, all the more so when you had to hang on to achieve it. That JB course is harder than it looks. Ran 20:02 on it once! :rolleyes:

I'll race both of ye :D

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll race both of ye :D

Bring it on :D

Advertisement