Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Well done this morning and great to have a little chat. Like I said this morning and Murph had said above; the JB course gets off to a tough enough start. You are climbing all the way to the C Knock roundabout.

Congratulations on the PB and don't lose sight of that; you are more than capable of going sub 20; get yourself in a proper race and it is there. If anything you will be trying to beat S to get back for the sambos......ah how I miss those days.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great run and congrats on the PB. I wouldn't be shy of setting the bar too high. If you don't aim high you'll never know how far you'll actually reach. Even if you don't hit the A target the improvement in time is still there and undeniable so there's the real victory/vindication. The sub 20 is there for you for sure though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats on the pb. I really admire your guts for taking on an ambitious target and putting it out there too. I was looking at the course profile and to be honest i thought that the first mile looks tough, for a 5k pb there isn't going to be much wriggle room with a tough opening mile like that zapping the legs. We have 2 very fast 5ks on in the West in Sept (pending AI permit) if you're still looking by then (but I genuinely don't expect you will). Enjoy the PB & match celebrations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done this morning and great to have a little chat. Like I said this morning and Murph had said above; the JB course gets off to a tough enough start. You are climbing all the way to the C Knock roundabout.

Congratulations on the PB and don't lose sight of that; you are more than capable of going sub 20; get yourself in a proper race and it is there. If anything you will be trying to beat S to get back for the sambos......ah how I miss those days.

C
    Thanks a mill C, oh god how I miss real races too!!

So following on from all the Scottish music, I found a film called Sunshine on Leith, kinda like the Mama mia films but the songs from The Proclaimers! Watched it after Liverpool secured their spot, pure cheese but I loved it :D

Great run and congrats on the PB. I wouldn't be shy of setting the bar too high. If you don't aim high you'll never know how far you'll actually reach. Even if you don't hit the A target the improvement in time is still there and undeniable so there's the real victory/vindication. The sub 20 is there for you for sure though I'd say.

Thanks a mill! Nah I can never be accused of that! A bit of a dreamer sometimes maybe but feck it...you don't know till you try :)
    I'll keep trying anyway!

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Congrats on the pb. I really admire your guts for taking on an ambitious target and putting it out there too. I was looking at the course profile and to be honest i thought that the first mile looks tough, for a 5k pb there isn't going to be much wriggle room with a tough opening mile like that zapping the legs. We have 2 very fast 5ks on in the West in Sept (pending AI permit) if you're still looking by then (but I genuinely don't expect you will). Enjoy the PB & match celebrations ;)

Thanks a mill, yeah my 2nd time doing that course & I was fecked early on the 1st time too:rolleyes: Well you never know I may be still trying & still looking by then:p
    Yep well & truly enjoyed both, cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The more you race the more you learn about yourself E, I genuinely think the sub 20 is there in proper race circumstances.

All we can do is run TT’s at the minute, and I’ve absolutely no doubt the old man in the shoe done a top class job on pacing duties, but nothing beats the cut & thrust of races.

As I said on Strava, asking a man who’s stone blind to run even splits is like thinking Liverpool were going to win the league again this year.......

OOnegative wrote: »
    The more you race the more you learn about yourself E, I genuinely think the sub 20 is there in proper race circumstances.

All we can do is run TT’s at the minute, and I’ve absolutely no doubt the old man in the shoe done a top class job on pacing duties, but nothing beats the cut & thrust of races.

As I said on Strava, asking a man who’s stone blind to run even splits is like thinking Liverpool were going to win the league again this year.......

Hahaha thanks I think B :confused::pac:
    He did exactly what was asked with him but yes races are just different...someday hopefully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A great result though - but no doubt you are disappointed.

5ks are one of the most difficult distances to master - I'm convinced it all comes down to how you are feeling on the day - as well as having a training plan suited to the strengths of the individual.

By that I mean - and I'll use me as an example........

I've ran the same time for 3-4 5k races in a row - bang on - to the second. - all at different times and with slightly different training behind me.
    I've done a 5k Specific plan and ran near enough the same time.
    I've hopped off a plane from Singapore and ran a race 2 days later and ran the same time.

Its such an infuriating distance and it can get in on you and mess with your mind - in a way that's not healthy. (at least that happened to me & a couple of others I know).

I'm reluctant to give any advice as you are following a plan and have a good coach who you trust - and that's the biggest thing on your side.

The only thing I will say is not to let it become your sole focus as it will distract from you becoming a better athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great run E. How were the endorphin pro?

I spent a long while fixated on my 5k pb and spent a summer trying to take big chunks off it. Similar to AMK I ran similar times in a few races. Pandemic hit, spent a year just training and then took 30s off it in a TT.

Sub 20 isn't far off. I suspect less than a year from now Sub 20 will be a distant memory.

Enjoy the cider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Pub quiz. Who was the last female A/R poster to run a sub-20 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »

HelenAnne?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on the 5k PB! A PB is a PB! The disappointment shows how much you want sub 20 but you are edging closer! Plenty to work on with your coach to get there.

HelenAnne?

Not 100% sure of the answer but that would be my guess too. It’s a formidable, and very rare, achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

HelenAnne?

Most likely you are correct B.

Hedgehoggy also springs to mind as a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the PB! Sub-20 is a great (and achievable) target to have, and you're chipping away at it pretty steadily! I'm imagine I'm speaking for all the women on here when I say you're inspiring us all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Well done on your PB, I feel your pain, been so close on a few occasions and haven't made the breakthrough yet. You'll get there very soon with all the consistent training you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the PB E! Having never run a TT myself I'm consistently amazed by the times produced by yourself and others in TT settings over the past year. No doubt in my mind that you'll smash 20 mins before too long.

One small thing I noticed was the early start time, which was in contrast to the vast majority of your recent running which has been mainly afternnon/evening. It's a minor detail, and probably me being overly analytical, but just something that stood out to me.

A great result though - but no doubt you are disappointed.

5ks are one of the most difficult distances to master - I'm convinced it all comes down to how you are feeling on the day - as well as having a training plan suited to the strengths of the individual.

By that I mean - and I'll use me as an example........

I've ran the same time for 3-4 5k races in a row - bang on - to the second. - all at different times and with slightly different training behind me.
    I've done a 5k Specific plan and ran near enough the same time.
    I've hopped off a plane from Singapore and ran a race 2 days later and ran the same time.

Its such an infuriating distance and it can get in on you and mess with your mind - in a way that's not healthy. (at least that happened to me & a couple of others I know).

I'm reluctant to give any advice as you are following a plan and have a good coach who you trust - and that's the biggest thing on your side.

The only thing I will say is not to let it become your sole focus as it will distract from you becoming a better athlete.

Thanks A, Jaysus he hates the C word:eek: Since starting this kind of training & getting the book I have read more about it & followed most of it from the book but still rely on S for the odd tweak here & there, so therefore he is my mentor;)
    My plan for myself during all this madness was to enjoy my hobby which is running, so seeing the runs involved in the EIM I knew it was something I would enjoy. When I did the mile TT I wanted to give it a few goes to get the sub 6, this time around I wanted to give this a few goes also, not fixated on it, this is just a bit of a get up & go for me at the moment spurring me on(if that makes sense) If I was told tomorrow I need to knuckle down & forget about the 5k then it wouldn't be questioned. This year was about trying new things & doing things I wouldn't really have done previously, my training always went from one block, a race then into another block, which was great but at the moment I can play around until the main thing becomes my main focus:D
    Great run E. How were the endorphin pro?

I spent a long while fixated on my 5k pb and spent a summer trying to take big chunks off it. Similar to AMK I ran similar times in a few races. Pandemic hit, spent a year just training and then took 30s off it in a TT.

Sub 20 isn't far off. I suspect less than a year from now Sub 20 will be a distant memory.

Enjoy the cider.

Cheers P, as I have said above I don't see it as a fixation just something to focus on till my Marathon training:D Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed in running but hopefully:) Oh the Bulmers went down so easily, really enjoyed them:P
    Congrats on the 5k PB! A PB is a PB! The disappointment shows how much you want sub 20 but you are edging closer! Plenty to work on with your coach to get there.

Thanks M, sure you just gotta keep trying;)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB! Sub-20 is a great (and achievable) target to have, and you're chipping away at it pretty steadily! I'm imagine I'm speaking for all the women on here when I say you're inspiring us all :)

Thanks a mill V, god you're making me blush:o I think i'm just the same as everyone else on here with all our various goals, times aren't the be all & end all, my motto is to work hard if you want something & once you are doing that then you should be proud of yourself. Sometimes things get in the way like injuries etc but again being consistent & working your way back from an injury is something to be proud of. I read a lot of logs on here & think wow fair play to that person putting in the graft & the consistency to achieve a goal that means something to them, all this while living busy lives! I believe you should never give up on your dreams or goals :D
    MisterJinx wrote: »
    Well done on your PB, I feel your pain, been so close on a few occasions and haven't made the breakthrough yet. You'll get there very soon with all the consistent training you are doing.

Thanks a mill, here's hoping:)
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB E! Having never run a TT myself I'm consistently amazed by the times produced by yourself and others in TT settings over the past year. No doubt in my mind that you'll smash 20 mins before too long.

One small thing I noticed was the early start time, which was in contrast to the vast majority of your recent running which has been mainly afternnon/evening. It's a minor detail, and probably me being overly analytical, but just something that stood out to me.

Thanks A, great to see you back doing some longer stuff! Yeah the TT's are weird all right but something to aim to I suppose! Yeah I used to run all early morning but then it all changed to Lunchtime runs & Evenings! Maybe I was still half asleep with the early start:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Runningirl

Wow!!!..... Congratulations on your PB, I’d love to have an ounce of your speed! As V said above you are definitely an inspiration!

• Advertisement

Runningirl wrote: »
    Wow!!!..... Congratulations on your PB, I’d love to have an ounce of your speed! As V said above you are definitely an inspiration!

Thanks a mill!

Mon 24th May - W/U, 10*400@6:36/7, C/D

Lunchtime run, legs felt good considering I ran a 5k TT yesterday!

Tues 25th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)4*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Ran this after work,managed to avoid any showers. Ran the surges a little more
    controlled than I had been.

Weds 26th - W/U, 2*1200 progressions & 7*200's, C/D

Gorgeous evening! Tough enough little session but enjoyed the speed.

Thurs 27th - W/U, 10*400's, CD

A run after work.

Friday 28th - W/U, 6*1k@1:45/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)5*30sec surges w 1 min rec ,C/D

Another run after work, was happy with this.

Sat 29th - Rest Day

Sun 30th - W/U, 4*1K with 3*30sec surges

An absolutely gorgeous sunny morning, really enjoyed this.

Mon 31st - W/U, 7*400'S, C/D

Had quite a stressful day in work so was really happy to get out for this! Another gorgeous day.

Tues 1st June - Rest Day

Weds 2nd - 5K Race Report - 20:36

So basically this Race stemmed from D challenging me to a race & S deciding to race us both! D got going with sorting the course & had it accurately measured thanks to Google earth! After a warm up we meet & had a little chat, all the niceties like nice top, love the runners, cool shorts that kinda thing ;) D was rocking a pair of Nikes, S in a pair of Asics & myself in my Saucony runners! We set off to the start line & as D said in his report no one was looking or sounding very enthusiastic! It was feeling very heavy, there had been a threat of rain & maybe that would have cleared the mugginess but it never arrived!
    As we got to the start, D spotted a buttercup in the grass & announced this was our official line :D We lined up on the path beside said buttercup & awaited the countdown, 3,2,1 & we were off!
    As S had cut the apron strings I was pacing this myself. I wanted to be more conservative at the start so was hoping for 4:06 pace for the 1st 2 kms. As per usual that did not happen! I did stay behind D & S but got caught up in not falling too far behind. S & D were quite close for the 1st K then S kicked on, he looked very comfortable. D was ahead of me & I had no intention of trying to catch him at this stage.
    After the 2K mark I decided to push on a little but maybe I should have waited a bit longer. I caught D then went slightly ahead. I presumed he would go with me but he more or less kept on my shoulder. The next 2k was tough enough, my breathing felt heavy but I just talked myself out of any negativity. Up ahead I seen S had stopped & was walking, I wasn't too sure why but was in a bit of discomfort so just kept going. My eyes & mind were only focused on stopping the hurt & getting this race over, but I also didn't want to come last!
    Just then S has a miraculous recovery & runs by me... then I can hear the squelch of D's runners behind me & although I was in bits I thought nah there's no way you are passing by me now!! I summonsed every ounce of energy I had in me to sprint to the finish!!! Once there I collapsed onto the grass in a heap & stayed there for a bit till I caught my breath!! Everyone was in good spirits!! Well done to S for winning this even after walking for some of it :)

Off we went for a CD & analysed the race, a bit of disappointment but overall really happy to run this race & have the craic. D complimented my running style saying I had a nice midfoot strike & good running economy, happy to come away with some positives :) Went for a cuppa which D very kindly bought & had a chat & a laugh. Overall a really nice afternoon was had, already looking forward to the next one ;)

Decided I defo need to work on my pacing for myself, it's not easy but hopefully practice will make perfect!

Thurs 3rd - W/U, 6*1K, C/D

Another gorgeous sunny day, took this handy.

Fri 4th - Rest day

Sat 5th - W/U, 10*400'S, C/D

Very muggy weather, was sweating after this!!

Sun 6th - W/U, moderate endurance run with surges, C/D

Another lovely morning for this run. Went a different route just to change it up a bit! Was almost home & I seen a little child ahead run across the road, in his pjs in his bare feet. I ran up to where he went & then another lady came across. He was trying to get into where fencing is to another estate. I asked him his name, pointed down & asked if that's where he lived - no response, he then started repeating a word and moving his hands. I realized he was non verbal, but thankfully he didn't seem frightened. The woman's husband rang the guards while we both stayed with the little boy. Thankfully after another few minutes his mother came running from one of the estates & grabbed him. Happy he was safe off I went to finish my cool down. Happy to see I also passed 1,000 miles today :D

1,006.6 mi for the year so far

Mon 7th June - W/U, 10*400, C/D

Gorgeous day for a run, the sun came out for most of it. Playlist today was mostly Madonna & Whitney! Sang every word & remember so vividly all the dance routines I would make up as a teen to these two singers, made me smile:)

Tues 8th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)C/D

Felt really strong on this run.

Weds 8th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)C/D

Gorgeous evening the sun was splitting the sky! Legs felt a little heavier than usual but nothing too bad! Went for Gerry Cinnamon, REM & the Proclaimers for this, not to everyone's taste but sure once it makes me smile & run:p

Thurs 9th - W/U, 15*200's, CD

A very very humid day! Ran this in the PP, did the 200's on the Furze Road, The paces were all over the place sometimes but just ran what I thought it should be.

Friday 10th - W/U, 4*2k@142/46bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs),C/D

Another run after work, was happy with this.

Sat 11th - Rest Day

Sun 12th - W/U, Easy endurance run with 1min surges after 7mins,3*30sec surges, C/D

Went out last night to my friends for a few drinks, drank a little more than I have been the last few months but the biggest killer was staying up until almost 3:eek: wayyyyy too old for this!
    It really wasn't the best idea considering I was back to longer Sunday runs. Programmed this into my watch & off I went, enjoyed the feeling of doing a long run again & the 1min surges were great to wake my legs up. It was very humid, no sign of the sun but I was sweating... Was thrilled to get home to an ice cold bottle of Lucozade! Uploaded the run then was asked eh what the hell was that run:confused: How did an 18K run turn into over 14miles...I fooked it up putting it into my watch & never copped a thing!! It's not the 1st time I've messed up sh!t & it most definitely won't be the last:p

Besides the fact I messed this run up there's defo something very satisfying about doing a long run:D

55.9 miles for the week
    1,062.5 mi for the year so far

6x1k @ 1:45 / 50 bpm.

You’re either very fast or I’m very slow. Explain please! :)

6x1k @ 1:45 / 50 bpm.

You’re either very fast or I’m very slow. Explain please! :)

Hahaha I shall pay more attention to detail going forward :pac:

Ah, now I understand. What does 145-150 represent in terms of HR max or reserve?

Ah, now I understand. What does 145-150 represent in terms of HR max or reserve?

The 145 - 150 is approx 92% - 95% of Lactate threshold heart rate which is the prescribed HR for the 1k reps & it's based off the Max HR I got in my own test plus a few heartbeats(these were added to allow for the possibility that I didn't totally empty myself in the test).

Got ya. That’s about the same effort I’m being told to do my own tempos at. How do you find them? Your descriptions suggest you’re cruising through these.

Got ya. That’s about the same effort I’m being told to do my own tempos at. How do you find them? Your descriptions suggest you’re cruising through these.

I love them. The recoveries are 800's so longer than the usual but this all ties into the type of running I'm doing. I like that I am running at the correct efforts based on the wind, terrain etc. Before this I know I would have pushed the paces no matter what the weather was or where I was running. Now I am seeing which parts of my route I can run certain paces on & when it's a proper drag!! I seem to keep my form very well on these too which is great. I have only recently started the 2K reps which I really enjoyed too, I like the variety of this style of running like having the surges in the long run every 7 or 8 mins to wake the legs up, this style of running seems to suit me which is great. Hopefully it stays this way.

• Advertisement

Better be careful not to give me too many tips. :)

But I hear you - variety is definitely the spice of life when it comes to keeping the sessions interesting as we get more experienced.

Advertisement