Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha no probs, sure mates always get the best shout outs😉😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

up at 5.30am😮 not sure which is more impressive, that or the shorts 😀. Great to see you back in action, nothing wrong with being careful in your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you back at it regularly, building nicely again.

Mon 7th - 30mins easy

It was a very chilly, breezy day but thankfully the sun came out. Nice enjoyable run.

Tues 8th - Rest Day

Weds 9th - S & C class

Another enjoyable early morning class

3*1k

As my HR monitor decided to pack in on me & I am currently awaiting a replacement from Garmin (who have been brilliant to deal with) I ran these more or less at the same paces as last week. It wasn't as breezy as last week so I was able to pick up the pace a small bit but knew the efforts felt good.

Thurs 10th - Rest day

Fri 11th - 45mins easy with strides

Picked the perfect time to do this run, the rain had stopped & the sun came out, it was actually quite mild so I had to roll up my sleeves. Kept the easy miles easy & was cruising along singing to Tiffany"I think we're alone now, doesn't seem to be anyone around" then all of a sudden as I ran by the entrance to Roadstone, on the footpath I was confronted with an extremely big frog which jumped at me as I ran by & scared the fookin life out of me, it touched my leg & I let out a scream, my heart was racing, it was the last thing I expected to see on a footpath!! Once I got over the frog attack I then enjoyed the strides feeling quite zippy on my feet for them but also very controlled and focused on my form too. I am very thankful to be feeling stronger with each run & will continue my S & C classes along with the physio exercises for now.

Sat 12th - S & C class

A beautiful sunny morning, class went really well.

Sun 13th - 68mins easy

Set off to the PP for this early. Parked at the Visitor centre carpark & set off on my run. Lots of runners out which was great to see. Nice handy miles & it was gorgeous once the sun came out. Took this handy & just made up the route as I went along. Wanted to see if I could find the Hillsborough memorial tree in the park, from photo's I had seen I was convinced it was on the Furze road but nope it wasn't there, I eventually found it near the US Ambassador's Residence, glad I found it. This was another really nice run, I'm sure I ran by @AuldManKing on Chesterfield road, got a little wave but he did look in a world of his own as I said "ah heya" when it registered with me who he was! Another good run & finish to a week of more consistent running!

21.2 miles for the week

In general I am feeling in a better place with a lot of things in my life, there are no guarantees this will last but for now I will embrace it. It was arranged that we would go to Newlands cross cemetery to get a wall plaque for my dad's ashes so I bought some small urns to divide up some of his ashes, it felt so peaceful doing this & when I got him home to my house I just felt so contented that my dad was home with me. I knew something wasn't sitting easy with my mam as she wants to be buried so we discussed it in Newlands & decided on getting a plot where my dad's ashes will be buried & then it will be there as a family plot, looking at my mams face & her reaction I knew this is what she really wanted so that made me happy. It's mad we tell people our wishes before we die, asking them to scatter our ashes etc & I always thought 100% I would go along with that but the truth is when someone dies it's really about the people left behind, when someone dies too we do a lot of searching & now it does feel like my dad will be at his final resting place & we will have somewhere to go & chat to him, again it's mainly about my mam's wishes right now & what gives her some peace & contentment. Of course I still have waves of sadness & anger, that will always be there but that's a sign of the enormous love I have for my dad so I wouldn't want it any other way! I know my dad would want me moving forward with a smile on my face, he loved my smile, said it lit up a room (not biased at all haha) He would want me to live my life as best I can & do the things that make me happy. I'm going to enjoy where I am right now because we all know too well that in the blink of an eye that can all change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great to hear things are taking a turn personally....and same with the running..building again nicely.

That's hilarious about the frog episode 😁. I was hiking down in the woods in Wicklow after the rain and came across dozens of frogs. All washed up and hopping around after the rain. I have never seen so many in my life. I took a few close ups...

Thanks a mill P, for all your support has been a great help😊 hopefully I can keep it going now...

Haha those could easily have been the frog i seen🤣 I got some fright but I'm sure he got an even bigger fright when I screamed 🤭

I was laughing afterwards thinking you were probably thinking what the fk is she doing posting pictures of bloody frogs..weirdo.

But I had a feeling the fist one might have been that frog that hopped on you 😀

• Advertisement

Mon 14th - Rest

Tues 15th - w/u, 8*400, c/d

Got out for this run after work as I was in the office. Really enjoyed reintroducing these to my training.

Weds 16th - w/u, 5*1K, c/d

It was a gorgeous day out so made these feel even nicer. Felt good getting back into my 1k reps. Ling may it last!

Thurs 17th - Rest day - Paddys day wedding☘😊

Fri 18th - w/u, 5*1k, c/d

The wedding was brilliant from start to finish😊 Didn't get to bed till after 4 which is something I am defo not used to🤣 1st hangover run in a long time but it wasn't as bad as i was expecting!

Sat 19th - w/u, 12*200's, c/d

It was another lovely sunny day, quite warm but also a strong breeze which was very annoying at times. Ran the w/u & decided to just run the 200's in the same spot instead of my usual route for them. Started out nicely, really enjoyed feeling the speed again, concentrating a lot on my form & how I was feeling, happy to say it all went well.

Sun 20th - w/u, endurance run 8*7mins@8/8:20 with 30sec surges at roughly 7 min pace, c/d

Stayed with my mam last night so set off to the PP as soon as I woke. Another beautiful morning & it felt warm so I decided to run in my vest top & shorts - lots of bright colour vibes✌ I knew this was going to be tougher than anything I had done in a while but i wanted to pick a not so easy route to do it on. I set off from the visitor centre & down towards the zoo, the 1st couple of 7 mins felt good, as the route progressed I felt the paces slowing a bit but knew the efforts were honest. The S bend was tough but enjoyed the mental challenge of having to tell myself to keep going, haven't had this chat in a while. I was working hard but enjoying the feeling if that makes any sense at all🤣 Was happy to finish this out on the Chesterfield road & jogged back to my car a happy runner! Time to chill to watch Dublin then Liverpool hopefully win😉💙❤

Again another week of positives, my 2 s&c classes were done & some foam rolling too which hopefully is helping me feel stronger.

34.9 miles for the week.

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great to see the progress 👏

Cheers D!

What a great post that is. Made me think of and remember a good few things about my own family. Great that you are in a good place now with all this - it's such a long process really.

Aw thanks a mill D, yes it is a long process & one I will just have to get on with like so many others who have lost a loved one...one day at a time💛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

oh no - sorry I missed you last week! I checked flybys and indeed we did pass each other. Soz!

Mon 21st - Rest

Tues 22nd - w/u, 10*400, c/d

A gorgeous sunny day, didn't get out for this till after work. Decided to just run this in my local little park which involves a fair few laps but wasn't as bad as i thought.

Weds 23rd - w/u, 6*1k, c/d

Another gorgeous day out there & decided to stick with the local park for this, enjoyed getting it done.

After years of fighting for my son, getting no where with the hse we finally got some answers which was a huge relief & will help so much with him going to secondary school & for his future, a mothers gut instinct is usually right, will never give up fighting for him. Today was a good day💛

Thurs 24th - w/u, 15*200, c/d

Another lovely day, went to my local park again & my grandson came over as I was finishing so he joined me & loved running with me for the last little bit.

Fri 25th - w/u, 3*2k, c/d

Was wfh today so was able to fit this in on a gorgeous sunny lunchtime. Legs felt good.

Sat 26th - w/u, 5*1k, c/d

Had my s & c class early so waited till after lunchtime for this, blessed with the weather all this week. Another solid run done & building my way back up nicely.

Sun 27th - w/uu-60mins endurance with 30sec surges, c/d

A lovely sunny morning but quite a strong breeze in parts. My legs felt quite leggy at times but I really enjoyed the efforts for this run. Wouldn't be too keen on the route I chose, a lot of drags etc, defo preferred doing this in the PP the week before but sometimes I have to stay local!

43.1 miles running with 6 days this week. Really happy with still doing the 2 S & C classes a week & building my running back up nicely.

Going really well E. Great to see. The weather makes such a difference doesn't it? 16.5 miles including 7 miles of threshold work was, dare I say it, fun in the sun!

Delighted to hear about your son. 🙂

Oh god yeah the good weather really makes all the difference 😊

Aw thanks so much P, the relief is unbelievable, a long road ahead but finally know exactly what we are dealing with & have the support & advice to help him!

Mon 28th - Rest day

Tues 29th - W/U, 3miles@7:45 w 60sec surge after each mile, C/D

Decided to head to the local park again for this, main reason at the moment is that there's a lot of works been done on the route I always use & it's really annoying to have to stop, watch traffic, cross sides because footpaths are being resurfaced etc, the park is just so much handier at the moment. Nice little run to start off the week.

Weds 30th - 10*400's

Again headed to the park for this, was bitter cold but it wasn't long before I warmed up. Reps went well, judging the pace along with efforts. The good thing about the loops is that i am getting used to where a bit more/less pace is needed if necessary.

Thurs 31st - 5*1k

Out again after work, wasn't really feeling the love for running today but did really enjoy this thankfully. I am feeling fitter with the 1k reps which is really good.

Fri 1st April - 1k@6:30, 2min rec, 400@6:00, 1min rec, 6*200's

Being totally honest i was a bit apprehensive about this. I know my injury wasn't long compared to others but with that and having covid my confidence was knocked a fair bit. I think I started to really fear speed,more fearing that I just wouldn't be able to do it! I set off to the park so that I'd have no interruptions for this. Started comfortably into the 1k & felt good, yes I was hitting the pace & the effort was there too, felt good going into the recovery mins. Ran the 400 on pace too, feeling good, then set off on the 200's. This run really gave me the confidence I needed right now. Long may it last!

Sat 2nd - 6*1k

Was booked into the hairdressers early so knew this run would have to be done in the afternoon! 4 and a half hours in the hairdressers later (totally grey free🤣🤣) I headed home, got my gear on tied the hair up & out the door I went, total dedication!! Again gained a bit more confidence looking at my Paces for the HR range compared to where it was a couple of weeks ago.

Sun 3rd - Over to the park to get he 200's done. Felt a little out of sorts again not being able to get this done early(had my s & c class earlier) plus we have been minding my grandson while his mam & dad are in Texas & Vegas, got him Weds till this Thurs. Now although he is a really good boy, it's still hard work when i can't hand him back. Having to get him to creche, collect him, make sure someone is here before i can head out for a run! We stayed with my mam last night & me & him shared a double bed, jaysus he moved all over it & a few times i woke up with a foot in my face🤣 Hats off to any of you in here getting your runs done with little kiddies at home, I genuinely forgot how much organising is needed!

37.3 miles for the week.

Happy with my progress & more importantly building up my confidence. 2 s & c classes done too.

Great to see all the races coming up on my Strava feed today , well done to anyone that raced😊

• Advertisement

Is grey not cool anymore? Might have to get a do myself.

Nice sessions. 💪

Grey will always be cool on a distinguished gentleman like yourself😉

Great work going on, I do the same as yourself - paying a fortune to the get the hair done and then straight into a pony and out for a run afterwards.

Thanks a million, enjoying being back at it! Yeah they all laugh at me at home coming back from the hairdressers to go out for a run🤣🤣

Mon 4th - Rest day

Tues 5th - W/U, 4miles@7:45 w 60sec surge after each mile, C/D

Decided to head to the local park again for this after work. Quite a strong breeze out there, kept the efforts honest & was happy with how this went.

Weds 6th - 10*400's

Another evening run in the park. Started raining while I was out but stopped quickly enough & then a beautiful rainbow appeared over towards my mam & dad's house which I can see as I loop the park, this made me smile.

Thurs 7th - 5*1k

WFH today so got out at lunchtime. Happy to be feeling fitter for theses 1k reps, enjoying the positive feelings at the moment as the weeks go by with some consistent running. Had my 80's playlist on today & absolutely loved it, was singing along to everysong & bopping along the road(god love anyone who heard me!!)

Fri 8th April - w/u, 8*200@6:00, 45sec rec, 2min jog, 400@6:00, 8*200's eim, c/d

Another session day, feeling a little apprehensive but knew i'd give it my best shot. Stayed in the park for this, set off on my 1st 200 went well, then the rec, 45 sec went so quickly, into the next 200, it defo got tougher as they went on the rec felt like they were getting faster also! Concentrated a lot on my form & how I was running for the 200's which really helped, happy to have these done then into a nice 2 min jog, 400 went well, working hard but totally controlled, then the 200's went by easily enough, so overall another happy Friday!

Sat 9th - 6*1k

Got out for this early & really glad I did. It was a lovely sunny morning but with a slight chill. Nothing much to report on the run.

Sun 10th - 10*400's

Was a lot later than planned heading out for this run. Had been to a friends house for a birthday for food & drinks & even though I was home early enough I slept till 1:40 on Sunday!!! This never, ever happens to me!! I was disgusted I'd missed half the day & still had my run to do but my body must have needed it, so off I went for my run missing the start of the Liverpool game but I knew there was no chance of me heading out after. Really happy to get this done, was actually glad of the fresh air & it went well once i got started. Came home to enjoy some food while watching the rest of the match, really good game, hopefully Liverpool can come good for the rest of their matches!

80s playlist you say?

I enjoyed one of your playlists this past week.. By playlist I mean one Meatloaf song lasted about 45mins 🤣 But what a song!

Ah P you can't beat a bit of Meatloaf out running, belting it out 🤣🤣

Now again my tastes are debatable but this has a really good mix of songs😉

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3NdhheFu4zl85BfyZSxiLT?si=s8QFwnNLTHWyibztclsoQA&utm_source=copy-link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Spotify have a managed playlist which has a load of 80s bangers! It is a great listen on solo runs.

• Advertisement

What's going on here? Messing with my mind? 🧐

Advertisement