Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Time to update my log, what a hectic month it's been!!

Sun - 22nd May - W/u, 10k@145hr with surges, C/d

Mon - 23rd - W/u, 10*400's, 400rec, C/d

Tues - 24th - W/u, 2k@6:40/45, 90sec rec, 400@6min, 3min jog, 1k@6:30/35, 90sec rec, 400@6min, C/d

Weds - 25th - W/u, 10*400's, 400rec, C/d

Thurs - 26th - Rest Day

Fri - 27th - 10*200's@6min, 45sec recovery, C/d

Sat - 28th - 5*1k, 800rec, C/d

Sun - 29th - W/u, 5*7mins@7:30 with 1 min surge, C/d

Mon - 30th - W/u, 10*400's, 400rec, C/d

Tues - 31st -W/u, 5*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Weds - 1st June - W/u, 8*400's easy, C/d

Thurs - 2nd - Rest Day

Fri - 3rd - Patrick Bell 5k - New PB 20:11

Got to Bohermeen feeling a little anxious but managed to shake it off on my warm up, what a beautiful evening it was. There was a nice crowd & a lovely atmosphere. Headed down to the start line & we were off! Tried to settle into a pace as soon as I could, think I kept it fairly consistent & I was feeling good. All the km's beeped at a pace I was happy with. Keep going Elaine, you can do this! 4th km felt good until I turned the corner onto the road which lead into the finish on the track. I knew I was starting to slow, it was like I gave up a bit, thought I couldn't do it(this seems to be a bit of a trend!) I looked up & knew I hadn't got much further to go, c'mon Elaine push through it! I started to increase my pace & pushed as hard as I could. Once I got onto the track I ran a little faster but I knew I wasn't going sub 20 so it was just a matter of getting myself a new official PB. Really happy with 20:11 but do wonder how much better I could have done if I had kept pushing in that last KM? Happy to be finished I went straight over for a bun burger, great set up for a race & a lovely course, will defo be back next year!

Mon - 6th - W/u, 5*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Tues - 7th - W/u, 3 strides, 3*2k with 800rec, C/d

Weds - 8th -W/u, 2k@6:40/45, 90sec rec, 400@6min, 3min jog, 1k@6:30/35, 90sec rec, 400@6min, C/d

Thurs - 9th - W/u, 5*7mins@7:40 with 1min surges, C/d

Fri - 10th - W/u, 16*200's, C/d

Sat - 11th - W/u, 9*8min@8:30 with 1min surge, 4*strides, C/d

Longest run in ages, very enjoyable except for the winds! Got this done early as had a busy day ahead, last of the assessments for my son which took over 3 hours & was quite emotional. Got the news I have been expecting since he was small, only took 12 years but very grateful to have all the information now for him starting secondary school. Never stop fighting, believe your gut feelings.

Sun - 12th - Rest day

Finally our holidays were here. 21 of us heading to Cambrills in Salou! Airport went without a glitch thank god & we arrived to glorious weather in Salou.

Mon - 13th - W/u, 10*400's, 400rec, C/d

This was done just outside our resort/site. Felt so good not having any winds!

Tues -14th - W/u, 5*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Found a route down by the beach, it was so beautiful & just nice getting out early in the morning.

Weds - 15th - W/u, 4*1k@6:35/40, 60secs rec, 400@600min, 2 min jog, C/d

Thurs - 16th - W/u, 16*200's, C/d

Fri - 17th - W/u, 5*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Sat - 18th - W/u, 2*200,2*400, 1k, 2k, 1k , 2*400, 2*200, C/d

Sun - 19th - W/u, 9*8min@8:30 with 1min surge, 4*strides, C/d

Mon - 20th - Rest Day

Tues - 21st - W/u, 5*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Weds - 22nd - Rest day - Travelling home

Thurs - 23rd - W/u, 4*1k@6:35/40, 60secs rec, 400@600min, 2 min jog, C/d

Fri - 24th - W/u, 5*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Sat - 25th - W/u, 10*400's, C/d

Happy with how my training is going, was delighted to be able to get a good few runs done on my holidays even though everyone thought I was mental🤣The runs really set me up for the day. Was lovely getting my mam away with all the family, she absolutely loved it💛

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

How did I miss that 5k on strava? Or maybe I've forgotten. Super stuff E. Sub 20 is within reach.

In all honesty, I don't think you can gain 12 seconds on the last km of a 5km so I don't think you should worry about what ifs. Sounds like the effort level was really good for the last km.

Brilliant running. Get a few more of those under your belt and you'll go sub 20

Thanks a mill P, yeah that's the plan keep going till I get it 🤣🤣 I can say the last 2 5k races have felt much more controlled than other ones I have ran so hopefully I am learning with each one! Sometimes it just takes all the stars to align to have the perfect race & result🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you managed a bun burger afterwards I’d say you left something out there.

A sub-20 5k is one of the great running achievements. You’re so close.

• Advertisement

Mon - 26th - W/u, 6*1k, 800rec & some strides, C/d

Got absolutely soaked for this run, good fun!

Tues - 27th - W/u, 16*200's, C/d

Got out early for this run, lovely morning.

Weds - 28th -W/u, 5*1k, 800rec, C/d

Went out for this run after work, enjoyable run.

Thurs - 29th - W/u, 8*400's slower than usual, C/d

Lovely bright evening for this, just stayed in the local park & did the loops.

Fri - 1st of July - Leixlip 5k - The last hoorah😜

Chip time 19:33 Huge PB😁

Signed up for this after Bohermeen, it was to be my last attempt at getting sub 20 before focusing on my Marathon training! Was both nervous & very excited for this. Arrived in plenty of time to collect my number, weather was looking dodgy & just as I was in the queue for my number it started lashing, the chap in front of me said yes, perfect weather for a 5k! I got my number & proceeded to do my warm up, it absolutely lashed!! I was soaked heading down the road just following a couple of runners, then I heard ah hello Elaine, how are you. It was @djemba djemba from these parts. Nice to meet people from around here. I finished my W/U on the track, still lashing rain but I finished with some strides & headed back to get changed into my super shoes. The rain then completely stop thankfully.

Made my way down to the start line where I bumped into @djemba djemba again & he asked my target, I told him, he wish me luck & advised me about the 1st km towards the bridge being steep enough & a bit of a drag in the 4th km, advice noted, we wished each other luck & off we went.

The 1st km went good, I had set this up on my watch as a session so a time for each km to run to obtain my sub 20. It beeped to say I was running slightly too fast so I eased off as we came to the uphill bit, wasn't too bad thankfully. Headed into the 2nd km feeling good, the rain had eased off & the breeze wasn't too bad. I was passing runners here but still staying within my target pace, the lower end which was good as it felt manageable & meant I would have more time to play with in the 4th km where lately I slowed down a lot. Couldn't believe I was onto the 3rd km, I shook my arms & relaxed my form a little(as advised by a very knowledgeable man on here) this helped me with my focus too. At this stage I was running shoulder to shoulder with another girl in a white singlet & there was a man to the left of me. She injected a small bit of pace & this prompted me to follow leaving the man behind. Again we were neck & neck, wow this is what it feels like to be actually racing someone & not just the time. Every few mins one of us would try to break & the other would follow, I was really enjoying this, maybe this is what I needed all along? Ahead of me I spotted another girl that I have smiled at & said hello to in the PP for months, a small girl like myself but really toned arms(which i've always admired) I had always presumed from seeing her run in the park that she was a much faster runner than me but she wasn't that far ahead, in my head I thought maybe she's gonna take off for the last km? Right this was it, the dreaded 4th km, was I gonna flake like the last few races or push through & get the time I had worked hard for!! This was a bit of a drag, out on the road running past a bus stop still side by side I decided, fook it, this is my time to shine, I want this so badly, my training suggested I could do it, 19:59 was the dream to see on the clock, I had imagined it for so long, how I would feel, how I would celebrate, how S would feel knowing the training was working, all his belief in me has helped me get here, albeit a bit slower than I would have liked...

This was it I broke free, not by a huge amount but I knew I was running alone now. As I got further I realised I was almost back at the start line & that meant I would be turning onto the track very soon! My heart was racing, the adrenaline was pumping. I had no clue what actual time I was at, I couldn't even look at my watch I just wanted to give it my all & get onto that track!! I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me & I heard @djemba djemba shout Elaine you've got this, I instantly thought of the video of the little girl racing & someone shouting at her & her response was I'm trying I got little legs, well that's exactly what I was thinking 🤣 I was almost finished & I seen the clock, holy sh!t that has to be wrong!!! It was at 19:29, no fookin wayy, I'm imagining that, I just kept running, got over the line & stopped my watch in complete shock!! Djemba was waiting there & congratulated me, I had the biggest smile ever on my face, we had a lovely chat then I headed off for my cooldown in the p!ssing rain again!!

I am still honestly in shock, 19:59 was honesly my dream but to get 19:33 was beyond anything I imagined. Hard work really does pay off, I'm happy now to put my 5k journey to bed as I'm sure S is too🤣. I am feeling happy & confident focusing now on my marathon block!

On a side note was also thrilled to get a "nice run Elaine" on my Strava from Sonia O'Sullivan😉

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Congratulations on the massive PB. I've been reading your log for a good while and I knew eventually I would read the post above, plenty more to come I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was absolutely delighted to see this during the week. I know a lot of people have said it was a long time coming which can seem like a backhanded compliment but it's genuinely not. PBs at 5k and 10k are not easy to come by. I've been trying to break mine for 4 years! You stuck at it and absolutely smashed through. Just took a bit of time, confidence and some healthy competition in the race itself. Well done E. Plenty more to come at that distance in the future if you decide to chase it again but for now keep basking in the glory. Days like these don't come as often as we would like. Enjoy it!

Kudos to your coach? Mentor? Advisor? Whatever he calls himself these days 🤣

Wow! Way to go, that's a fantastic result!

Do you know Sonia from a race or something, that's very impressive getting a nod from her.

Thanks a mill I'm so happy to finally have this box ticked!

P I really wish I could bottle up this feeling & keep it for the bad days🤗

I listen to a podcast with Jarlath Regan & Sonia O'Sullivan & have had contact through that, she seems like such a nice down to earth person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

What an amazing time Elaine, I certainly can't think of anyone who deserves this more than you.

19.59 who are ya.....smashed it out the bloody park. Massive well done.

C

Thanks so much C, delighted to finally have it ticked off😊

I hope all is good with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats a great read - really shows the performance that you put in.

Great to be racing people and not times - you're quite right!

Love the 'little legs' :) - Now, Someones got to say it - Sub 19 soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well that's doing it in style anyway. 19:33!! Brilliant to read. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's fantastic to see you smash the 20 minute barrier - a really wonderful achievement. Really great racing and a great report to boot. Best of luck with the marathon block.... exciting times!

Got struck down with the dreaded Vid....blaming Dunshaughlin or the Gerry C gig.....it wasnt too bad thankfully. Just a bit energy zapping.....hid a few strava runs but getting back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Very impressed with this. Especially impressed at how comfortable you appear to have been, which suggests that the battle to break 20 was far more mental than physical for you. Racing others certainly helps - whether you know them or not, but always better when you do, I think. Looks like you won that race too!

Congrats again.

Ah crap, I knew I hadn't seen anything on Steava for a bit! Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, every 2nd person seems to be getting it!!

I seen you are on your hols, enjoy, take this time to recover from it, no better place than in the sun😁🌞

Thanks so much for all your encouragement D! Yeah I do think a lot of it was in my head, glad to have had the 3 5k races so close together to try out different things! I did find I got a real buzz from actually racing someone for a good bit of the race & even better that I won(even if there was only a couple of seconds between us). I'm sure the buzz would be even better racing someone I do know😉

Thanks a mill😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Bravo, I knew you'd do it very soon. You've been a monster of consistency over the last few months, just needed the right race at the right time 😀

Onwards and upwards now for the marathon block

Thanks so much! I'm still genuinely thrilled about it, good headspace to be in going into my marathon plan which I'm quite excited about 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done on your 5km PB! Really good race report - sounds like you were very in control for the whole race. Fantastic run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sub 20 and then some, that's fantastic...very well done! Best of luck as you switch gears to marathon training, you're in great form going into it.

Thanks a million, pretty excited about my training for DCM😊

Sat 2nd - Recovery run.

Still absolutely buzzing from my new PB☺️

Sun 3rd - Sunday long run with surges.

Set out for this early, lovely running conditions, not too hot or cold thankfully. Run went well, 1st long run in a while.

Mon 4th - Rest Day

Tues 5th - Let the training for DCM commence😁 W/u, 10*2mins@6:28/36, off 2 mins jog, C/d

Set out after work for this run. My speed 2 runners arrived, took them out of the box & tried them on, really happy with the fit. Took them out on the run & loved them. I did this run in the local park, it felt good but I think I was a bit over enthusiastic with the recoveries(we'll blame it on the excitement of starting marathon training)

Weds 6th - W/u, 5*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

It was a very very warm evening for this, once again I ran a little fast on my recoveries, this is something I will keep an eye on.

Thurs 7th - W/u, 5*400's, 5*200's, 5* Hills, C/d

Great being back on flexi time so if I'm in early I can leave early. Got out just after 5, another nice evening. Had decided to do the hills just before Belgard school, steep enough for 30sec hills. Ran the 400's & 200's, repeating some of the route so that I would end up where I needed to start my hills. Set off for the 1st one at a nice controlled pace & my form was quite good, missed doing hills so happy to have them back on my plan!

Fri 8th - W/u, 5*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

This was much more controlled than Weds so really happy with it. Home to get ready to head to Westlife with my 3 girls, had a great night with them.

Sat 9th - W/u, 60mins@7;54/8:08

Went out for this after a very busy morning, Pace felt good, all nice & controlled - Very humid out, was absolutely soaked with the sweat. Home to get ready for round 2 at Westlife🤣 My daughter won tickets & a few of my other friends were going so feck it, why not!! Another great night of laughs, dancing & singing!

Sun 10th - Sunday Long Run

Didn't get to bed till late but woke earlier than I expected so just got up & got this done. It was gorgeous out but again I was soaking by the time I got home. Think I ran every part of Tallaght for this run, just made it up as I went along. The 2hrs ticked by nicely listening to my tunes from my DCM19 playlist. I did a 30sec surge after each mile which always makes the run less boring & helps to keep the form. Really happy to have this done but not happy with the amount of bloody of chafing I got😞

Very happy with how this week went, excited to just get stuck into my plan & hopefully run a decent marathon in October!

Would love to see mileage for each day, especially for the 2 hour long run.

Where do you get your energy, marvelous stuff!

You are in great shape going into the DCM marathon block, it is going to be an interesting one to follow.

Hmm maybe I better start a plan for mine 🤔.

• Advertisement

Haha I honestly don't know where I get it from, always on the go🤣

Advertisement