Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Only catching up on your report now.

Truly magnificent stuff, a dream debut. Nice to meet you afterwards too.

Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thank you!

Lovely to meet you too :D

Tues 5th Nov - easy miles
    10.06,10.09,10.02,5.05(.51mi)

Went out at lunchtime which was nice to have it done early in the day! Mad to think i only ever ran at lunchtime & ran as fast as i possibly could:eek: The difference a few months & some good advice makes :)
    Took it very handy on this run again as my left hamstring was feeling slightly tight but feels so much better now with a bit of foam rolling.
    The next few weeks will be easy runs then hopefully start one of the grad plans when it starts! Actually quite eager to see who the 'special one' is ;)

Thurs 7th Nov - easy miles
    10.04, 9.53, 10.10, 10.17

Again very happy to fit this in to my lunch break but that will only last while i am doing the shorter miles!
    Wore my rain jacket for the 1st time in ages as it was lashing when i went out! 1st mile was grand just a bit cold but didn't mind the rain. I actually looked very funny & I'm sure i amused many people passing me by as i looked like twinkle toes hoping around from one puddle to the other:D Then without even realising i ended up in the mother fu@#er of all puddles which completely drowned me:eek: So from then on i actually just ran through each puddle making my squelchy runners even more squelchy haha But in fairness there was something quite liberating about splashing in the puddles listening to kate bush blasting out wuthering heights;)
    All in all it was quite an enjoyable run & my hamstring feels perfect again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

You mad thing running in this weather. Serious running wanker points there!!

• Advertisement

eabha19 wrote: »
    You mad thing running in this weather. Serious running wanker points there!!

Pmsl :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

"So, how did it feel passing 3,000+ people between Castleknock and the finish line?" :D

Great race and great race report. Also, good going getting back out so soon after the marathon.

Singer wrote: »
    "So, how did it feel passing 3,000+ people between Castleknock and the finish line?" :D

Great race and great race report. Also, good going getting back out so soon after the marathon.

Thanks a mill! Its actually mental to see it in black & white because you certainly don't realise it on the day :eek:

Was happy to get back out once the body felt right! Easy miles for a couple of weeks & then back on it ;)

Sat 9th Nov - 7mile easy run
    10:00, 10.02, 10.03, 10.03, 10.08, 10.10, 10.04

It felt strangly nice to be back to a Sat morning run :D Although not being like me at all i headed out over an hour after i had thought i would!! I really need to try sneak out on a Sat morning from now on because as soon as they are up, it's ma can you do this, ma can i have a lift:eek:
    So off i went, no gels, no water, no jellybabies! Felt great being so light :)
    Concentrated on keeping my paces easy & really enjoyed getting back to doing a bit more. My hamstring feels completely back to normal which is great:)
    I am enjoying the easy paces but really looking forward to adding some speed in too!
    Going to increase to 4 runs this week & see how i get on :D

On a positive note good to see Liverpool beat City today & remain top of the table ;)

Monday 11th November- 45mins easy
    9.55, 9.59, 10.03, 10.03, 5.10(.51mi)

Still able to get these runs done at lunchtime so means i don't have to run in the dark yet!
    Absolutely baltic out, had the long sleeve top & gloves on:eek: Felt good once i warmed up. Feeling really good again & legs feeling very fresh. I had to concentrate on my paces more than usual today as i found it was very easy to speed up without realizing it!
    Misjudged the run timewise so had to do a few laps in Tallaght IT carpark :)
    Overall a good run...looking forward to Jingle bells in a few weeks to let loose a bit :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday 13th nov - 45mins easy with 6*30sec strides

9.59, 9.32, 9.46, 9.28, 9.23, 4.26 (.50mi)

Another lunch run which i am very grateful for at the moment. Met up with SB & headed off! Was great to have company today as it's usually just me & my music. Lots of great tips & advice which is greatly appreciated, hopefully i can take these on board & progress my running :)
    Got to Tallaght IT & set off to do my strides...oh speed how much i have missed you ;) I really enjoyed adding the strides back into my training & felt so good doing them! Nothing like the buzz of speed work. They really have me in the mood for Jingle bells :D

Fri 15th Nov. 45mins easy

4.75mi - 45:43 (9.37avg min/mi)

Fairly handy run! Was very cold & dark but once i warmed up it felt nice & relaxed:)
    Wore my jacket for this with a long sleeved top & definitely felt way to hot:eek: So jacket will be kept only for when it rains ;)

Sat 16th Nov 1:30mins easy

9.77mi - 1:30 (9.18avg min/mi)

After a lot of procrastination again i set out an hour later than expected! Tried to not look at my watch too much for this & went on how i felt :) Was great to get back to a bit of a longer run! Not very many people out running at all...prob had more sense & stayed wrapped up in their warm beds :D Overall felt good & once i was home i was delighted to have it done!

Took a trip to Kildare outlet & bagged myself a bargin with a brand new pair of gel Nimbus & a pair of speedy shorts :D

Total miles for the week 24.53

Plan for this week is to hopefully run 6 days with 2 sessions & up the milage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Plan for this week is to hopefully run 6 days with 2 sessions & up the milage :D

6 days! that coach of yours is a hard taskmaster :P

Fair play on taking the jump to 6 days though. Along with the double sessions, you'll be flying. You got a time in mind for Jingle bells?

Treviso wrote: »
    6 days! that coach of yours is a hard taskmaster :P

Fair play on taking the jump to 6 days though. Along with the double sessions, you'll be flying. You got a time in mind for Jingle bells?

Yes tell me about it ;)

I do enjoy having the consistency of it & enjoy following a plan. My only little gripe at the moment is the bloody darkness but trying to find well lit roads etc.

I don't have a time really except to try beat my pb of 21:26... hopefully that happens:D

Did you see the course has changed slightly? A few people giving out on FB:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yes tell me about it ;)

I don't have a time really except to try beat my pb of 21:26... hopefully that happens:D

Did you see the course has changed slightly? A few people giving out on FB:eek:

You mean now it looks like this? PBs will be a lot harder to come by this year, I suspect. What a time for roadworks to be taking place :rolleyes:

You mean now it looks like this? PBs will be a lot harder to come by this year, I suspect. What a time for roadworks to be taking place :rolleyes:

Cheers for that! I can only access boards on my phone & pretty useless with links etc!

Yeah thats what people seem to be saying! Typical it's the 1st year i'm doing it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I do enjoy having the consistency of it & enjoy following a plan. My only little gripe at the moment is the bloody darkness but trying to find well lit roads etc.

Wait till the laundry piles up and your OH starts giving out because there is always running gear in the washing machine :D

KSU wrote: »
    Wait till the laundry piles up and your OH starts giving out because there is always running gear in the washing machine :D

Funny you have mentioned washing actually! As of yesterday the new rule is every man/woman for themselves so i will only be washing my stuff & they will all be doing their own:eek:
    We shall see how long this lasts haha and no doubt my running will be to blame :D

Tues 19th - 45min easy
    45:52 - 4:58mi - 10:01min/mi

Nice handy easy run to start the week off. Easy until i was standing across the road from a huge alsatian dog:eek: I froze!!! He was staring across at me & there was nobody around! I went backwards very slowly & found another place to cross & thankfully he was gone when i ran on the other side. I really wish people wouldn't let dogs out on their own:(

Weds 20th Nov - 15min w/u 12*90 sec hard off 45secs jog recovery, 15min c/d

The 12*90sec hard; 6:43,6:49,6:41,6:55,6:48,7:01:6:42,6:53,7:02,7:14,6:49,7:19

Being 100% truthful i was very nervous at the thoughts of doing this! I have never ever done anything like this & do feel i struggle a bit with consistent paces. I could only do this run after work which meant once i had my w/u done it was dark...not ideal as I'd have to keep turning the light on my watch to see my paces! I stayed on the side of the park with the most light but its still sh*t:eek: I started off & was happy enough with the paces & the recovery...once i hit 5 & 6 i cursed SB so much!!! I thought theres no way i can keep this up, what was he thinking expecting me to run this haha but then after 8 i felt ok again with good form & said i can finish this & i did :) When i got home i was feeling very proud of it...I know i need to still work on my paces & trying to get them consistent but overall i was happy!

Thurs 21st Nov - 45mins easy
    45:18 - 4.56mi - 9.56min/mi

Another lunch run but a different route to avoid any 4 legged friends :D

Sat 23rd Nov - 15min w/u 4*3,2,1@7:20 with 1min recovery- 3min recovery between sets, 15min c/d
    1:11 - 7:74mi - 9:10min/mi

Again this session was completely new to me but i didn't feel nervous about this! I really enjoyed it & feel i'm improving each time! I love the sessions so i am really happy to have 2 of them in a week:) Really enjoying the variety ;)

Sun 24th Nov - 1:45 easy run with 4*20sec surges
    1:45 - 11:15mi - 9:25min/mi

Woke up late so run was a lot later than planned. Quite a mild morning so was happy to wear my shorts & marathon top:D Eased into this run well & felt very comfortable. Was running down the outer ring road & a bloke came running towards me also wearing his marathon top:eek: Now previously i wouldn't have thought anything of it but last week when i had brought my daughter & her annoying boyfriend shopping he seen someone in theirs & said oh my god how cringy it was to wear it out! I said what the hell do you mean by that!!! I said when you do any run you get a training top...to bloody train in!! He very nearly had to walk after that conversation!!! So back to today...i did feel a little bit cringy & i could see him looking up then down again...so as we passed i said nice top:D we both laughed & ran on! I actually grinned for a good bit on haha. Nothing else to report on this run. Loved the 20sec surges for the last 4miles really woke up the legs. Was happy to get home to finish putting up the rest of my Christmas Decorations:D

Please don't judge...my motto is live & let live;)

38.8 miles for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Cracking week, well done.

You're on for smashing that pb.

• Advertisement

Lazare wrote: »
    Cracking week, well done.

You're on for smashing that pb.

Thanks a mill...here's hoping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done, some super runs there but I am judging you on the christmas decorations stuff ;)

Haha thanks! That's quite ok i get it all the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Roaming dogs are a bug bear of mine, living in the schticks it's a nightmare. One of my mates got bitten a couple of weeks back which has really multiplied my fear, running with dread in my tummy really takes from the enjoyment factor :(

That's a super week right there, it's going to be so exciting to watch what you can do over the months ahead. Have you thought of joining a club? You would be an addition to any club, there's an opportunity there to race on age category teams etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I share your thoughts in relation to wandering dogs when out running. When you don't know a dog, you don't know how it will behave. Some dogs I know will bark, won't go too near me, will follow for just a short bit and that's fine. But I was out one Sunday morn and a fairly cross 3 legged dog came out and thank god my husband was with me and on that side of the road, I was fairly shaken as it was.

ariana` wrote: »
    Roaming dogs are a bug bear of mine, living in the schticks it's a nightmare. One of my mates got bitten a couple of weeks back which has really multiplied my fear, running with dread in my tummy really takes from the enjoyment factor :(

That's a super week right there, it's going to be so exciting to watch what you can do over the months ahead. Have you thought of joining a club? You would be an addition to any club, there's an opportunity there to race on age category teams etc.

Yes I've had quite a few run ins with dogs and my fear is getting worse! I am just terrified they will run at me while i am running:eek:

I really have mixed feelings about joining a club, i have been approached by members of the same club a few times but not sure its for me. Will give it some more thought.

I am really Looking forward to getting stuck into this plan to see what i can do!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I share your thoughts in relation to wandering dogs when out running. When you don't know a dog, you don't know how it will behave. Some dogs I know will bark, won't go too near me, will follow for just a short bit and that's fine. But I was out one Sunday morn and a fairly cross 3 legged dog came out and thank god my husband was with me and on that side of the road, I was fairly shaken as it was.

It is scary alright! You just don't know if tgey are going to go for you or not! Luckily your hubby was there :)

Tues 26th Nov - 55mins Easy
    55:06 - 5.51mi - 10min/mi

With an extremely busy week ahead in work & having to stay late i knew I needed to get my run done early enough. I am not an early morning person at all but i got up & headed out just after 6. It was very cold, wet & dark but surprisingly i really enjoyed it:eek: I stuck to the main roads for light & traffic & loved all the Christmas lights around citywest:)

Weds 27th w/u 4min, 3x1min, 3min,3x1min,2min(4,3,2min@7.20-7.30, 1min @6.40-6.50) 90secs rec after 4 & 3& 1min after 1min intervals

W/U, 7.26, 8.40, 8.58, 11.27, 7.02, 10.33, 6.44, 11.10, 7.28, 11.14, 6.51, 9.48, 6.46, 11.11, 6.40, 10.34, 7.54

Went out early again to this & again it was pitch dark! I found it tough to see my watch for the paces & somehow when i was pressing the button for the light i hit something else & messed up the start!! Once i got into it i enjoyed it & found it more even than my last session but these are gonna take me some time to get right! Hopefully not too long:eek:

Thurs 28th Nov - 55mins Easy
    55:15 - 5.52mi - 10min/mi

Another early start. Getting used to the early mornings now & feel it sets me up for the day:D

Fri 29th Nov - 55mins easy
    55:27 - 5.59mi - 9.55min/mi

Did this run before i dropped my little lad to school. Was happy enough doing this as i was heading to Scotland for the weekend:D

Sat - rest
    Drank a lot yesterday & was a very late night with a lot of crap food also consumed. Sat was pretty much a repeat. My 2 pals live there so me & my other friend go over every Christmas:D The plan was to head out early for the day & head home early because we had to be up for the airport at 6am:eek: Well that did not happen & eventually got to bed by 2am...tomorrow was defo gonna be fun!

Sun 1st of Dec - 12m easy run...actual 13m easy run:eek:
    2:03 - 13.00mi - 9.29mi/min

I was extremely rough & tender today...slept anywhere i possibly could on the way home! Got in at about 12. Decided i needed to head out soon or i just wouldn't do it! Run was ok felt a bit **** but knew that was gonna happen! Had 5*20sec surges to add to my last 5 miles & actually enjoyed these. As SB very kindly pointed out i somehow managed to do 13miles instead of 12...of all days:(

Total of 35.2miles for the week

Now to order a Chinese & head to bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I admire your dedication doing that long run after your weekend. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

2am.... lightweight!! Your coach would be ashamed!!!

Advertisement