Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I admire your dedication doing that long run after your weekend. Well done!

Thanks, not exactly sure how i managed it but i did:eek:

OOnegative wrote: »
    2am.... lightweight!! Your coach would be ashamed!!!

Hahaha yes he has mentioned it once or twice ;) I am indeed a self confessed lightweight :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Saturday E, run well!!

Best of luck Saturday E, run well!!

Thanks a mill! Bit nervous but looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Best of luck tomorrow, Hopefully,I will get to say hello :D

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, Hopefully,I will get to say hello :D

Thanks a mill! You too :D hopefully!

Tues 3rd Dec - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6:24 - 9:38min/mi

Very dark & cold morning but again glad to have it done early!

Weds 4th Dec - w/u,4mins 6:45-6:55,1min jog, 4mins 6:45-6:55,5min jog,3*300m@6.40-6.50,1min jog,3*200m@6.30-6:40,1min jog,c/d

Did this session at lunch so it wasn't dark & S ventured all the way out to tallaght as i have been having a few issues with the sessions! Off we went & all was good :) We got to the speed work & once again i found this tough but was really grateful for the company! The best part about having S there was that i could actually curse at him to his face haha. Every few mins he would say did you say something & i'd say yes - just cursing you :) I began to really doubt my PB attempt for Sat!
    S pointed out a few things to me with my watch etc which should really help my sessions going forward.

Thurs 5th Dec - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6:08 - 9:54min/mi

A cold & windy morning for these easy miles!

Fri 6th Dec - 3 easy miles with 5*20sec strides
    34:43 - 3:45mi - 10:03min/mi

Took these miles very easy & did the strides in Tallaght IT.

Sat 7th Dec - Jingle bells 5k

Set off for the Phoenix park & decided to drive as getting the luas etc takes so long! I really am an anxious driver & never really drive into town so the whole way in i felt anxious about getting there! This does defo not help with my race nerves:(
    I met S & we headed off for a w/u with S discussing the course with me. Said goodbye to S & got in the queue for the loo, then went over to the bag drop. Only a few mins to go so i edged my way up as much as i possibly could!

Off we went and being completely honest i felt tired! My legs felt tired, already i wondered how i was gonna reach my target paces:( A lot of weaving in & out of people before i settled. 1st km clocked at 4:18, i really needed to be slightly below this & knew I just didn't have it in me to push faster than what i was doing! The next km was quite open & windy & i tried to take cover where possible. Clocked 2nd km at 4:20. I tried to go faster, my head & heart knew it was what i wanted to do but my little legs were just having none of it:eek: Clocked the 3rd km at 4:29, there was no hope at this stage of my pb & infact i really had to just convince myself that I was not a quitter & i needed to see this race through! Its a long time since i have ever felt like this, it felt like forever getting to the 4th km & clocked it at 4:30 - the hills totally killed me & i really was just constantly telling myself 'you can do this! Keep going' ! Finally i knew i was on the last straight & tried everything in my power to speed up but again the legs just weren't listening!! Last km clocked at 4.17! Chip time 21:48!

Overall place 355
    Gender rank 67
    Ag rank 16

I'm not gonna lie i was disappointed with this & as someone who can hide absolutely nothing on her face it showed! My competitive side really thought I would be able to get a pb & although that's not what I'm training for i thought what's wrong with wanting it! So i did a c/d run & headed home! After sorting stuff out at home & practically having a free house i got into fluffy pjs & chilled on the sofa in darkness except for my Christmas lights & watched Its a wonderful life...pure bliss:D

After i thought about it i realized i can't always get pbs! My target race was not this 5k...my target race & what I'm training for is the Bohermeen half & thats where my focus needs to be :D

Sun 8th Dec - 10miles v easy
    1:42 - 10:02 - 10:13min/mi

Wasn't sure if i could do this & looking at the weather i really really really wanted to stay at home! But nope it had to be done so off i went. Just after mile 2 i was heading towards the roundabout & seen a man on it with his motorbike, not one car stopped while he struggled to lift it up! It looked like he came off it as there was a piece of his bike on the road. I jogged across the road towards him & as i did finally a car stopped & a man got out. We both checked to see he was ok & he was, just a bit shook! They both proceeded to pick the bike up & as all seemed ok i continued on! Thats my good deed done for the day ;)

Overall it was a very windy, wet & icy run but i felt quite festive with my Christmas hat & Christmas playlist on! Once again i have settled on the sofa to watch Home Alone...gotta love Christmas;)

38.1 miles done for the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Fair play on toughing it out in the race. Would have been easy to just let it go but you still put in a really solid time. You’re setting yourself up for a really strong shot at the half. Wish I had half your motivation at the moment!

Fair play on toughing it out in the race. Would have been easy to just let it go but you still put in a really solid time. You’re setting yourself up for a really strong shot at the half. Wish I had half your motivation at the moment!

Thanks a mill P, really means a lot :)
    I can honestly say it was my toughest race & really not sure how i dragged myself out on Sunday!
    In the grand scheme of things is it teally important? No not at all;)

Not sure where the motivation comes from haha i do know i am very determined so if i have to do it then nothing usually gets in the way of that! That's why i love following a plan means i can't really just say ah i'll skip today :D

Yes Bohermeen is my target so thats where my focus is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done on Saturday E, that's not a finish time to be sniffed at by any means!

Good luck with the training for Bohermeen!

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Well done on Saturday E, that's not a finish time to be sniffed at by any means!

Good luck with the training for Bohermeen!

Thanks a mill K :) Ah i defo know that but it didn't stop me from being a moody git on Saturday, probably explains why everyone left me alone to watch my Christmas film ;)

Alls good now back on track :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Still a fine time regardless of whether or not it was a target race!

Can't believe I've no recollection of passing you in your Christmas elf outfit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

well done :) some times we have days like that when the head and heart are willing but the legs say no! but like you said it is not the main thing and this will stand to you in the future.

I watched home alone on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

My big take away from that race?

You did a 10 miler the day after.

You're a runner now.

Still a fine time regardless of whether or not it was a target race!

Can't believe I've no recollection of passing you in your Christmas elf outfit :pac:

Thanks a mill :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    well done :) some times we have days like that when the head and heart are willing but the legs say no! but like you said it is not the main thing and this will stand to you in the future.

I watched home alone on Sunday :)

Yes exactly & its all experience:)

Awww i just love all the Christmas films with the lights twinkling on the tree:D

Itziger wrote: »
    My big take away from that race?

You did a 10 miler the day after.

You're a runner now.

Thank you :D ...my grin is actually that big right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It can be easy to lose the run of yourself with a race. Well done for keeping your goal race in focus.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It can be easy to lose the run of yourself with a race. Well done for keeping your goal race in focus.

Yes way too easy! Thanks a mill :)

Tues 10th Dec - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 6mi - 10:01min/mi

Early run again. Very very windy & lashing rain - lovely combination for a run before work ;)

Weds 11th Dec - 2mi w/u, 8*1min hill sprints with 3min jog, 2mi c/d

Sprints - 7:10,7:10,7:09,7:23,7:10,7:30,7:19,7:19

Headed up to Stocking Lane for my hill sprints. Didn't know the area very well. Parked near the local shops & went off on my w/u. Just made it up as i went along trying to stay on flat ground as much as possible! Got in position for my sprints & off i went! The 1st one was a shock to the system:eek: I thought i had done hill sprints before but nope nothing like this at all!!! They just got harder & harder...my glutes, calves, thighs were all on fire! All i could think was my god who the f@#k invented these bloody things:eek: S also was in my thoughts here as i sprinted for the 7th time! The profanities i used were very unlady like and lucky for him he wasn't there to hear them:pac: Weirdly enough i actually enjoyed this session especially pushing myself! Finished off with a 2mi c/d back to my car. 1st proper hill sprint session done :D

Thurs 12th Dec - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 5.71mi - 10:38min/mi

Took this extremely easy after last nights session.

Fri 13th Dec - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 5.87mi - 10:13min/mi

Didn't get this run done when i wanted one drama after another! Ended up in town later than i was supposed to be then the bus took fooorrreeevvveeerrr!!! Got home & went out straight away. Was a nice run & once done i went home & got ready to go for some festive drinks with work :D

Sat 14th - w/u, 15mins @ 7:50/8, 5mins@7:40/50, 15mins@7.50/8, c/d

Really had to gear myself up for this run!! One too many drinks & then the shots i swore i wasn't going to drink were all very apparent as i set off with glitter still on my face even though i washed it a few times! I drank a zero tab & some lucozade in order to try minimize the effects of the alcohol:eek: This was a tough run, apparently i will get used to running the day after drinking especially with Christmas...time will tell! I hit the paces and actually felt okish...except for when i thought i was going to puke...thankfully it was a false alarm but i really couldn't wait to get this run over & done with!!

Sun 15th Dec - 1.45mins run
    1:45 - 10:93mi - 9:36min/mi

This was a really nice run especially after yesterday's run ;) It was very very icy on the footpaths & i actually think i resembled bambi on ice for some of it :D

Happy with the weeks training- 43.9miles done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great training happening here. Those hill sprints and other similar sessions are gas as torture while in the middle of them but give such a buzz after.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great training happening here. Those hill sprints and other similar sessions are gas as torture while in the middle of them but give such a buzz after.

Thanks a mill :) Actually really enjoying trying out all the new stuff too as much as i give out ;) Yes its kinda like a love - hate relationship with those sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a super week, great going. I've that same hill session in my plan for tomorrow, it's always a "fun" one :rolleyes:

eyrie wrote: »
    That's a super week, great going. I've that same hill session in my plan for tomorrow, it's always a "fun" one :rolleyes:

Thanks a mill:)

Oh best of luck with them, I'm sure you won't curse as much as me ;):D

Tues 17th Dec - 1hr easy
    1:00 - 5.80mi - 10:26min/mi

Early run, very cold actually took me ages to get the heat into me even when i got into work!

Weds 18th Dec - w/u 7*3mins@7:00/7:10 off 3min jog
    7:11, 7:06, 7:10, 6:57, 7:05, 7:02, 7:08

Was dreading this session as the weather was terrible! It was very windy & lashing rain. I managed to take a slightly longer lunch so was able to fit the run in then. Did my warm up & the area i did my speed work actually felt a bit shielded from the wind so i was happy enough! I got started & was thrilled to hit & maintain the target paces straight away as this has been a bit of a problem for me! The more i did them the better i felt & was very happy with my form for each one! Really enjoyed this session:)

Thurs 19th Dec - 1hr easy
    1:01 - 5.88mi - 10:25min/mi

Nothing much to report on this run.

Fri 20th Dec - 50mins easy
    50:03 - 4.77mi - 10:30min/mi

Woke up late so only did 50mins instead of an hour. Was heading out for lunch & after work so was no possibility of getting the run done at any other stage during the day. Glad to have gotten it done!

Sat 21st Dec - w/u - 5*5mins@7:20/7:30- 2min jog - c/d
    7:15, 7:25, 7:21, 7:30, 7:29

Had a great night and even though i said i would take it easy the sambucas seemed too hard to resist! I waited a bit till my head felt ok & went off on my run. It actually wasn't half as bad as i thought it would be, enjoyed the bit of speed & again was really happy to hit the correct paces again! Overall not too shabby for a hangover run:)

Sun 22nd Dec - 1:45 mins
    1:45 - 10.94mi - 9:36min/mi

Good god this run seemed to go on forever!!! It felt longer than the actual marathon:eek:
    Another great night of festive drinks and swore to myself after yesterday's hangover no shots...well that lasted a whole 10mins of walking into the pub :D I wish my willpower for alcohol was as strong as my willpower for running haha! I really felt like the time was not moving on my watch! Despite listening to Christmas songs the motivation wasn't the best! Anyways i got it done so was happy with that :)

43.7 miles done for the week :D

I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and i hope santa is good to you all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Merry Christmas E, great year for you and am sure 2020 will be even better!! That coach will have you flying!!

Merry Christmas E, great year for you and am sure 2020 will be even better!! That coach will have you flying!!

Cheers :)
    Ah he's doing a good job so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Fair play for getting out for not one but two runs with a hangover (or more than likely still drunk!). I need about 2-3 days to recover from a night out these days

Those paces you're putting in are really impressive. I say once you keep the mileage up, you'll be able to sustain them for longer and longer. You got any races coming up before Bohermeen, or you just concentrating on keeping the training going?

Hope you and the family have a great Christmas!

Treviso wrote: »
    Fair play for getting out for not one but two runs with a hangover (or more than likely still drunk!). I need about 2-3 days to recover from a night out these days

Those paces you're putting in are really impressive. I say once you keep the mileage up, you'll be able to sustain them for longer and longer. You got any races coming up before Bohermeen, or you just concentrating on keeping the training going?

Hope you and the family have a great Christmas!

Yes more than likely still drunk:eek:

I'm enjoying the sessions now that i am keeping the paces consistent so it feels like I'm not messing them up! I have Raheny 5mile end of January so will look forward to that & wearing my new runners! But Bohermeen is my target race so thats what my training is geared towards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yes more than likely still drunk:eek:

I can relate to this at the moment. Well done your training and dedication has been class. Have a good Christmas!

Advertisement