Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nevers [Joss Whedon - HBO]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

‘The Nevers‘ is set to premiere Monday, 17th May 2021 on Sky Atlantic in the UK, with all episodes of “part 1” (the first 6 episodes) landing On Demand and on NOW. The drama premieres on April 11, 2021, at 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT on HBO and HBO Max in the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed the pilot episode and it was beautifully shot however I did feel it was trying to hard in parts.

The pilot was written and directed by Joss I wonder will that be his last work on screen or will he make a triumphant rehabilitated return in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The first episode didn't hook me, felt a bit flat for a premiere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked it enough to keep watching.

Hadn't read too much about it so surprised to see the 2 leads are Irish.

Maladie is very Drusilla-like.
    I get mixed up trying to remember her name since Amy Manson's played characters with similar names before like Medea in Atlantis and Merida in Once Upon a Time.

Is
    Primrose the Lord's daughter from the end
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I thought the first episode was pretty good and set up the season nicely. Lots of interesting characters and a well executed if not slightly clichéd premise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I love Whedon's stuff - everything from Buffy to Dr Horrible - but I'm absolutely amazed that this saw the light of day with recent revelations.

Sounds like a proper scumbag.. won't even be pirating it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Basq wrote: »
    I love Whedon's stuff - everything from Buffy to Dr Horrible - but I'm absolutely amazed that this saw the light of day with recent revelations.

Sounds like a proper scumbag.. won't even be pirating it..

Each to their own of course, but he's left the show . Will you be skipping The Avengers and Age of Ultron on any future MCU rewatches too ?

I thought it was very good start. Laura Donnelly (formally of Outlander), Ann Skelly , Amy Manson and Pip Torrens(The Crown) were all very compelling in their Roles. The actions scenes were all excellently choreographed , if I was to pick fault it would be that some of the cg set extensions were a bit obvious in places. Looking forward to episode 2 .

Yep, stay away from those Irish women!. :)

Safe to assume what they were getting at with
    the ribbons at the party. Funny that Primrose was given one though.

So Maladie's "turn" is
    that she gets stronger the more she's hurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really enjoyed the second episode. Nice to see some Irish actors in big productions. Reminds me of penny dreadful

Latest episode
    Well I guess her turn was pretty limited really, though there are plenty there who've done nothing.

How the guy missed the detective, I don't know. He'll be trying to find out who released him.

• Advertisement

From Red Rock on TV3 to The Nevers on HBO that's a nice upward curve in your career.

I'm enjoying the show but can't help feel like it's just missing something I can't put my finger on.

Im finding there may be too many unhappy characters in the show miserable backstories so far. Also the tone is a bit inconsistent scenes of extreme violence and cursing like carnival row or penny dreadful and weird technology scene like in agent's of shield

Yeah the story of the daughter was bad enough, then throw in she was pregnant, followed by what happened Lucy. They went all in with the darkness.

So the guys with the armbands are just abductors/not very good guards?

I guess that's the daughter in the basement? So did attic mean basement back then or something?

So
    Amalia is from the future though is it something took over her body after she drowned?

Everything actually moving fast enough.

Well that was interesting.
    I forgot the persuasion guy worked for Maladie. Got mixed up thinking he worked for the Beggar King.

She can do very sane when she wants. Wonder what she said to Swann.

Looks like next week will be the other mission and the season finale though I thought is was only part 1.

That was Whedon's last bow, as director at least.

I think it is a pity what has gone on behind the scenes as this would be a real return to form for Whedon. I really didn't see the twist coming and have no idea where they will go from here. Still not sure if the Malady character is idiotic or entertaining.

With everything that happened, I was watching the scene with Penance washing and wondering if Joss actually asked her to be really topless for the scene. Even though I don't think he's been accused of anything like that.

Was watching the behind the scenes clips of this episode and they were shut down during the filming of this episode due to the restrictions and the hanging scenes were done when they restarted production.

Was trying to remember why Ben Chaplin's(Det. Mundi) name was familiar to me. Thought I was getting mixed up with Ben Barnes. Now I remembered he was the original Matthew in Game On before going on to other things.

That was a bit of a rollercoaster.

Always great to see Claudia Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Just heard of this over the weekend, watched the first episode. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching more. Interesting idea and setting !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That was a bit of a rollercoaster.

Always great to see Claudia Black.

Just came looking for a nevers thread to say just the same thing but she is only in the one episode :(

Edit: Just a though while I'm here... I watched this initially because of Joss Whedon's name being associated with it, as an Executive director does anyone know exactly how much input he has?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just came looking for a nevers thread to say just the same thing but she is only in the one episode :(

Edit: Just a though while I'm here... I watched this initially because of Joss Whedon's name being associated with it, as an Executive director does anyone know exactly how much input he has?

He helped create the show (mostly his idea/concept) and I think was going to be acting as showrunner. Then Covid happened and he announced his departure for Covid reasons (doing the show through Covid, being in America with show filmed in England etc). Then the Warner Brothers stuff and accusations about him on Justice League and Buffy happened and he was effectively removed from any advertising or publicity to do with the show and won't be involved in it going forward (but is obviously still credited in the show's credits).

So he had huge input in the start of the show, but he's completely gone from it going forward.

He created it and wrote the pilot along with directing the pilot and episodes 2 & 5.

Definitely the best episode so far. The first twenty mins were so lore heavy I got a bit lost but hopefully the good writing survives the loss of Whedon.

To compare to another Whedon show, that opening chapter reminded me of Dollhouse.
    If there's one thing I dislike about future settings like this is the amount of new terms and words that are used. Though these days we get made up and repurposed words entered into the mainstream all the time.

Some teases of what's to come
    Someone else came back as well as Zephyr and some reveal for Myrtle?

I guess the question now is
    Will viewers refer to her as Zephyr or Amalia?

Is that some make up on Claudia or does she look terrible for her age

Makeup but she's always looked older than she is, in my opinion.

Well that just made the show a whole lot more interesting, was kinda only half into til this episode - and the accent take off has to be commended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

While watching episode 6 my wife kept asking did we miss an episode!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

While watching episode 6 my wife kept asking did we miss an episode!?

I stopped it after a couple of minutes to double check I had clicked on the correct filename.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement