Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kinds of systemic, secret, shady antics are going on today?

• 30-07-2019 10:35pm

I would like to know what plausible or reasonable suspicions you have of systemic illegal, or undesirable behaviour that is happening in society.

I'm thinking particularly of political and financial corruption, but let's talk about anything except the well-trodden conspiracy theories like Fluoride or 5G. It has to be something that a significant proportion of educated people would consider plausible or reasonable, so I guess that rules out man-made climate change denial.

Don't think there isn't anything bad happening under our noses. We would be the first group of people in Irish history that weren't living in a society so pure. It is massively unlikely that there aren't systemic scandals ongoing that may even be open secrets, and are waiting to be unconvered.

And just to emphasise, I'm referring only to systemic corruption or law-breaking, happening in secret on a significant scale and involving different groups of individuals. So there's no need to name any individuals corporations, your larger, long term observation is more interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

direct provision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

The open borders agenda is an obvious one.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

Leftists trying to destroy the west.

That's essentially the biggest problem we face just now. Anti-western leftists. They control academia, they control the culture, they control most of the televised media, they control most NGOs and human rights groups which are now basically activist groups.

And above all they control social media. All big tech are in bed together in an effort to influence our politics and socially engineer the public.

Strategic homelessness to game the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NKante wrote: »

That's essentially the biggest problem we face just now. Anti-western leftists. They control academia, they control the culture, they control most of the televised media, they control most NGOs and human rights groups which are now basically activist groups.

And above all they control social media. All big tech are in bed together in an effort to influence our politics and socially engineer the public.

How come Trump, Brexit and Boris then?

All far removed from the left ideology and some of the biggest decisions of this generation.

• Advertisement

The legal system, judges out of touch with reality, suspended sentence merry to round on free legal aid to keep the legal professionals in the pigs back. Not to mention bogus personal injury insurance claims and the legal profession supporting and enabling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

NIMAN wrote: »

All far removed from the left ideology and some of the biggest decisions of this generation.

It’s a push back. But if the leftists keep pushing. You’ll get Italy. Hungary. Poland. Austria. And afd is already on the rise in Germany.

You just need to look at boards has totally in the grips on the leftists. There’s a thread just opened up comparing ca/imho and stormfront light. Which is absolutely laughable.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

Well Boris was default, not elected in by the people.

Brexit & Trump were the clearest indication that the people are getting fed up with the elites.

I didn't say the left were succeeding 100%, but it's only going to get worse as conservatives are being wiped off social media and the left will basically have a clean sweep of the culture.

Well Boris was default, not elected in by the people.

Brexit & Trump were the clearest indication that the people are getting fed up with the elites.

I didn't say the left were succeeding 100%, but it's only going to get worse as conservatives are being wiped off social media and the left will basically have a clean sweep of the culture.

And then they’ll get swallowed up by their own ideology.

But I think this thread was a trap… **** I think they’re on to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israelis murdering Palestinians and stealing their lands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Gaurds are using speed camera vans for covert observation/to track
    /moniter people of interest movements

Have seen them.in some very obscure locations where speeding is so unlikely to happen it can be discounted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I'm not a leftist but I'm curious as to why leftists want to destroy the West? Any decent explanations? Is it because we won't do the type of menial labor they want us to do or am I miles off? Is it because all of Government is now just full of dogooders and no one will dare speak out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I highly doubt the catholic church has changed in the slightest recently and is still enabling and supporting child abuse, paedophilia, embezzlement etc all over the globe.

The so called gig economy, the likes of Uber doing their best to bypass regulations and running up billion dollar losses by undercutting competitors to drive them out of business so they can then ramp up the prices when they have a monopoly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

_blaaz wrote: »
    Gaurds are using speed camera vans for covert observation/to track
    /moniter people of interest movements

Have seen them.in some very obscure locations where speeding is so unlikely to happen it can be discounted

Delighted to see some clever policing by the gardai. Hope they catch some criminals while doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Dublin centred Ireland. 64% of 2040 excheqeur capital spend on 30% of population.

IDA driving new jobs to Dublin reeks of cronyism. FG greasy paw in till.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I'm not a leftist but I'm curious as to why leftists want to destroy the West? Any decent explanations? Is it because we won't do the type of menial labor they want us to do or am I miles off? Is it because all of Government is now just full of dogooders and no one will dare speak out?
    Who's "us"?

My Mum is retired and she drives a bus for a charity. Many would describe driving a minibus to be a menial job. She's far more liberal than i am. That's one example of probably hundreds of thousands in this country.

So come off it, what you've just said seems like it would be quite insulting to people doing low paid/unpaid relatively "unskilled" work (in the sense that it doesn't require a course of study or apprenticeship).

Anyway, moving on, I think the suggestion 'Direct Provision' is an interesting one, certainly reasonable.

Hollywood basically being a propaganda machine is another one. Please hear me out. I mean Hollywood in the broadest sense - most western, classic liberal movie production, which implicitly idealises US and UK political philosophy ("The Queen" is an example of the latter) or that which romanticises NATO-type interests. Its not that there is some powerful puppet master behind the scenes like propaganda of old -- no, I think it's far more complicated, it involves a self perpetuating positive feedback cycle where TV and film respond to certain public biases which in turn solidifies fidelity to contemporary Western civilisation, and causes our preconceptions to become entrenched. It's a form of organic propaganda that we have never known before.

There's an interesting article on this topic here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/11/hollywood-history-churchill-getty-trust-fiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The entire court/justice system in this country. It is so obviously a farce.

We need to build at least 2 more huge prisons in this country and completely eliminate bail and suspended sentences. Put the garbage away for decent stretches. No more double/triple digit priors because they wouldn't have the opportunity to commit these crimes.

We live in a relatively small island nation. People know the rules. If they break them we should remove their liberty for a significant period of time to teach them to toe the line.

The legal system is currently set up to be a perpetual self sustaining money spinner. If we actually punished people properly for not following the rules of society we would save a fortune on policing and justice in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Cultural Marxists'? Is that what you're on about? You've been forming your opinions by swallowing the inane ramblings pseudo-intellectual YouTube idiots haven't you?

You know all that shit has been debunked over-and-over again don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If that doesn't bother flat-earthers, truthers, holocaust deniers, moon landing hoaxers, and anti-vaxxers, why on this flat fake digital earth would it bother alt-right infowarriors?

selective moderation :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

selective moderation :o

Everything in moderation - even moderation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's absolutely hilarious that people think boards is dominated by left wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

In Ireland? loads but just to start with i would say the big gravy trains, anything to do with law, medical sector, and a linked on to that would be the charities propping up some of the health care sector and finally our insurance sector.

Each of these sectors are a gravy train for those invested in the right places and its managed in ways to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

should this be under conspiracies? ;)

im betting theres load of skull duggery going on but this country is willing to accept it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The open borders agenda is an obvious one.
    Yeah lets close that border with the north.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

should this be under conspiracies? ;)

im betting theres load of skull duggery going on but this country is willing to accept it all
    Sexy dirty monies ya mean!

Its always more salacious.

I wouldn't say there is near as much as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

It's them ambidextrousts with their middle of the road views being all reasonable and tolerant and all that will be the end of us, I'm telling ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ.

Obnoxious salaries & perks from the bottom to the top.

Allowing ‘talent’ to be contractors so as to minimise their tax liabilities.

Stagers (folks who lift and move things) earning northwards of 100k a year.

Nepotism (because after an exhaustive search the length of the country, it turns out Lottie Ryan was the best choice to speak about ‘celeb’ ‘gossip’ on 2FM- that girl is now set for life, and will never have to do an honest days work).

The utter laziness of just buying in crap TV from abroad that we can all watch elsewhere anyway in this modern age of TV/Streaming services that are available to us. That money should be spent in Ireland, on Irish productions, supporting Irish jobs. (They show Eastenders the same time as it’s shown on the BBC FFS, except RTÉ stop for a 3 minute ad break in the middle!!)

The sheer audacity of them to demand we pay more for all of the above as if we don’t, they will no longer be able to continue providing us with the ‘world class’ service they do provide.

The one thing they always did well was sports coverage and they even lost most of that to rivals (Rugby/GAA).

It’s absolutely disgraceful how it’s been allowed to fester into the sheer mess it has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

I don’t think there are anything more ‘elite’ than Trumps inner circle and those who are pushing for Brexit at the most senior level ... the top of the Tory party is as about elite as you can get

So what is your theory again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

In regards to creches, and the documentary last week. What I've heard from people in the industry is that a lot of what went on is very common. Creches and nursing homes should be non profit imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

macnug wrote:
    In regards to creches, and the documentary last week. What I've heard from people in the industry is that a lot of what went on is very common. Creches and nursing homes should be non profit imo.

The market knows best

well we went from "conspiracy theory" to "not great value" in record time

see ye again next week for same again?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The market knows best

And so does government ‘regulation’. The likes of the central bank, the former ‘financial regulator’ and department of finance were spot on regulating the banks in the run up up to the last recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And so does government ‘regulation’. The likes of the central bank, the former ‘financial regulator’ and department of finance were spot on regulating the banks in the run up up to the last recession.

the market doesnt need regulation, as it self regulates, its great really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

The market knows best

I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not but imo Stocks, shares, commodities etc are markets, the care of the most vulnerable people in society, babies and the elderly should not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The national genetic database (from the heel prick every child is given shortly after birth to screen for PKU). It has already been ordered to be destroyed, but it hasn't been - it's stored away for some reason of no benefit to PKU screening.

Now there is a case to be argued that it could be used to screen for newly discovered genetic indicators of disease.

But i wonder what else it could it be used for?:rolleyes:

the market doesnt need regulation, as it self regulates, its great really

Like the way the legal profession self regulates itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

whippet wrote: »
    I don’t think there are anything more ‘elite’ than Trumps inner circle and those who are pushing for Brexit at the most senior level ... the top of the Tory party is as about elite as you can get

So what is your theory again ?

A born billionaire and an old money etonian......sure champions of the common man if ever there were some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

The cosseted,wagon circling public sector unions.
    Not going to end well for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The so called gig economy, the likes of Uber doing their best to bypass regulations and running up billion dollar losses by undercutting competitors to drive them out of business so they can then ramp up the prices when they have a monopoly.

It's just capitalism doing what it can within the regulations. If you can believe it, sone people would tell you we would do better with fewer regulations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hollywood basically being a propaganda machine is another one. Please hear me out. I mean Hollywood in the broadest sense - most western, classic liberal movie production, which implicitly idealises US and UK political philosophy ("The Queen" is an example of the latter) or that which romanticises NATO-type interests. Its not that there is some powerful puppet master behind the scenes like propaganda of old -- no, I think it's far more complicated, it involves a self perpetuating positive feedback cycle where TV and film respond to certain public biases which in turn solidifies fidelity to contemporary Western civilisation, and causes our preconceptions to become entrenched. It's a form of organic propaganda that we have never known before.
    +1, though it's always been so and isn't a new thing. "Hollywood" has always idealised and promoted western and especially US interests with a side order of whatever was fashionable and profitable among its makers at any one time. When the swinging 60's hit Hollywood though slow to react after making hay with white picket fence 50's America(and the red peril, QV 90% of 50's hollywood scifi) then went "hippie", then in the 80's got pretty Reaganite, nowadays it's all about the "woke diversity". Since the 60's at least after the studio system broke down the politics of Hollywood nearly always reflects the politics of writers, producers and directors college years, so can be a little behind the audience.

I'd say about the biggest shady tactics going on right now and in plain site is the power of social media giants like Facebook and an entity like Google. Both are and have been used to political ends to swing elections. The Cambridge Analytica story showed a glimpse of it, but IMHO it goes far deeper and not just around politics.

You see this overall web influence everywhere. Take people with "left" or "right" wing views. Generalist sites like Boards are getting rarer, but you can see it here quite a bit. Both "sides" parrot the same secondhand stuff that you would find in any echo chamber of either side, though it's more obvious in a generalist site. "woke" person A/"alt right" person B regurgitating near word for word what they've seen in a youtube vid or wherever. Some just link a video or videos or article in lieu of their own voice. With more and more echo chambers like reddit, facebook, whatsapp as platforms the middle barely exists or couldn't be arsed engaging so all we have are the extremes. And that's a worry.

People eager to spill their guts to teh world another. They want "Big Brother" in their lives, will even suffer withdrawal symptoms if cut off from it. I mean you even have people lining up and paying to have their DNA on file with big corporations so they can get an email to say they're 1% Japanese or whatever(those DNA "tests" are 90% bullshite) That's a big worry.

I do think in the future we will be shocked even terrified about how much information and control we've handed over to huge corporations and it'll be too late by then. The horse has pretty much already bolted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

This may sound a little crazy but I've heard a few people complain that they've suddenly started seeing personalised ads on social media for stuff they'd been talking about (verbally not on SM). Almost like their phones were spying on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

putting figs in fig-rolls, how do the sneaky b*stards do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

because they haven't been able to circumvent the ballot box yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

'Cultural Marxists'? Is that what you're on about? You've been forming your opinions by swallowing the inane ramblings pseudo-intellectual YouTube idiots haven't you?

Please give us a detailed breakdown of the 'debunking' of the Frankfurt School and what is known as Cultural Marxism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hal3000 wrote: »

I don't think all leftists want to destroy the West, but certainly this was impetus behind communist influence in the 1950s - 1980s and a lot of the agendas they started \ promoted \ pushed in media, universities back then are now mainstream 'left'.

It's now become self sustaining even though the USSR is long gone. I'm sure Russia would like to weaken the West but they will try all angles, not just the left.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

macnug wrote: »
    I agree with you entirely, just to add that we also need to reassess how 'charities' are defined. REHAB is probably the most notorious example -- an organisation that was operating, basically, like any for-profit corporation: undertaking commercial operations with very generous salaries for senior executives.

Say I open a not-for-profit nursing home for the elderly homeless, and manage to get Government funding and charity status. Myself and a few mates put ourselves in charge as its trustees, and the lucky Director is appointed a salary if 150k with generous pension scheme. We run the organisation effectively as a for-profit firm ('we unfortunately have to cut corners so we can reach more people', in my most sincere voice. 'The Government should increase our funding').

We'd probably have no difficulty getting charity status, and once you have that, you're laughing. No corporation tax, no Capital Gains Tax, no CAT or DWT, no stamp duty either. Publish some cute ads and people throw money at you for nothing in return. Easy money.

Who cares if the accumulated profits aren't automatically ours? If you have 100k in the bank at the end of the year, give yourself a pay rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think poster is in that camp

• Advertisement
Advertisement