Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Direct Brand Restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There'd be no reason for Sports Direct to make that restriction up. Very likely its an IRFU or Cantebury restriction; although of questionable legality now with the geo-blocking restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Will they deliver to a Parcel Motel or Address Pal postal address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have not tried parcel motel but I'm sure they would just have to pay in gbp not issue rate is good.

I rang the ecc and they told me that under personal legislation I should not be discriminated based on where I live in the EU.

I have asked sports direct to clarify what exact restriction is in place and send this to the ECC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

It could be because the IFRU has promised Elverys, Lifestyle etc exclusivity in Ireland. The IRFU could have said in the contract to Sports Direct "You can sell our stuff but not to Irish customers" . If Sports Direct posted to Ireland then they could breach that clause and could be prevented from ever stocking and IRFU goods in the future.

As far as I know that is legal. Exclusivity gets discussed on the BBC version of "Dragons Den" on a fairly regular basis.

Just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It could be because the IFRU has promised Elverys, Lifestyle etc exclusivity in Ireland. The IRFU could have said in the contract to Sports Direct "You can sell our stuff but not to Irish customers" . If Sports Direct posted to Ireland then they could breach that clause and could be prevented from ever stocking and IRFU goods in the future.

As far as I know that is legal. Exclusivity gets discussed on the BBC version of "Dragons Den" on a fairly regular basis.

Just a thought!

Geographical restrictions are not acceptable since last year. Don't trust poor quality British TV for accurate info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

prinzeugen wrote: »

Just a thought!

Exclusivity is for the retailer, not the customer

L1011 wrote: »
    Geographical restrictions are not acceptable since last year. Don't trust poor quality British TV for accurate info

Eh.. Its been on RTEs Dragons Den also (now that is piss poor TV if not absolute s###e).. It could be a licence/copyright issue then.

But hey! Get a dig in at the British when you can!

Snotty wrote: »
    Exclusivity is for the retailer, not the customer

There was a thing about rights. Has anyone in the UK tried to buy an Ireland top from Ireland? ( Elverys etc?) Does the same happen in reverse?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It would be really useful, in cases like this, if the OP came back and told us what the answer from the retailer was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

whiterebel wrote: »
    It would be really useful, in cases like this, if the OP came back and told us what the answer from the retailer was.

Still waiting on a response back from Sports Direct. Don't expect one

Bought Jersey elsewhere

• Advertisement
Advertisement