Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Distillery Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

adrian522 wrote: »
    As far as I know Sullivans are the only beer being brewed in Kilkenny right now. Open to correction on that M(aybe Costellos also?)

I dont think sullivans is brewed in kilkenny, I think its dundalk

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

FJohn smithwick started up in 1710 but due to penal laws he was not allowed own his own business and hence why he went into business with Richard cole who signed the lease with the Duke of ormond(cole signed the lease on the land slightly earlier until John smithwick arrived). It wasnt until John's grandson Edmund smithwick got involved that the smithwick name went over the gates etc. However John smithwick was brewing beer from 1710.
    That's certainly the official company story but I'm not sure it can be backed up from reliable sources. Do you know where or when this story comes from?

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's certainly the official company story but I'm not sure it can be backed up from reliable sources. Do you know where or when this story comes from?

It's all covered on the smithwicks tour and would come from archival documents. The st Francis abbey itself is still there on site from the 1200s. Presumably that far back is hard to track.

would come from archival documents.
    Mmm. Look, Diageo lies about its history. I don't think even they make the claim about John Smithwick and the penal laws, just that it's a possible explanation for the absence of his name. There are other explanations. There's enough doubt that it's not historically correct to say the Smithwick's Brewery was established in 1710.

Mmm. Look, Diageo lies about its history. I don't think even they make the claim about John Smithwick and the penal laws, just that it's a possible explanation for the absence of his name. There are other explanations. There's enough doubt that it's not historically correct to say the Smithwick's Brewery was established in 1710.

Let's agree to disagree on this one. I have been in the archives many times over the years and I would hold a different view

• Advertisement

Let's agree to disagree on this one. I have been in the archives many times over the years and I would hold a different view
    If you didn't get round to reading the link I posted above, do have a look. There are some worthwhile sources if you're interested in the subject.

If you didn't get round to reading the link I posted above, do have a look. There are some worthwhile sources if you're interested in the subject.

Let's just say I have done plenty of reading of my own on the subject over the years.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Excellent well-referenced article, thanks for posting the link. Provides pretty convincing evidence that Edmund Smithwick established the St Francis Abbey brewery in 1828.

It would seem that, at some stage, Smithwicks decided they were 'established' in 1710 and have been clutching at straws ever since trying to construct a convincing history around that narrative.

Quackster wrote: »
    It would seem that, at some stage, Smithwicks decided they were 'established' in 1710
    The Guinness archivist told me that it was in the 1930s that "established" dates became part of company marketing in general. Later than I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I ended up going to Teelings. Good tour and quite a nice bar and tasting area upstairs.
    They gave us a taste of a whiskey and also a whiskey based cocktail.
    Great idea with the cocktail for the likes of my girlfriend who wouldn't be a whiskey drinker.

We went to Roe and Co first but they were booked up.
    Looks like a very slick and well funded operation there - some of the other distillers must feel a little aggrieved seeing them open.

Going to try and get around to the other places at some stage - grand way to spend and hour or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I was at Roe & Co two weeks ago (all expenses paid - Thanks Diageo :p). It is very slick as mentioned. If you're interested in a history or technical lesson - it's not for you, or at least our tour wasn't. It seems more focused on the end product and it's use in cocktails etc. You do get to make a cocktail with some instruction on what flavours work well with others, and the cocktails in the bar were really good. Apparently feedback from cocktail barstaff is why they bottled it at 45%. It was also nice to see they kept some of the machinery and interior of the power house.

Long story short, probably not for someone on their first visit to a distillery but if you've already seen a few, it's fine as something to do for an hour or two.

Advertisement