Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from a Triple to 2x - how hard?

Options
  • 31-07-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

small bit of background, I have a 5 or 6 year old Giant Defy, that I love, but the gearing is starting to drive me a bit insane.
    As a complete noob when buying it, I opted for the triple chainring configuration, which I now realise was a mistake. Its next to impossible to properly index the gears / get the front derailleur working in harmony without having excess noise. If a good setup is achieved, its usually back to its old ways after a spin or two, suggesting that its probably at the end of its life anyway.

i cant afford a new bike, so I'm wondering how much of a job it is to get the bike changed to a twin setup up front. The current groupset is just labelled as 'shimano triple', with no markings like sora, deore or any of that.

Chain reaction have this
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-groupset/rp-prod138440

which I think might fit the bill, and I can just about stretch to the cost of, but I have no idea if its compatible or not, or even if this is an option.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Hi all,

small bit of background, I have a 5 or 6 year old Giant Defy, that I love, but the gearing is starting to drive me a bit insane.
    As a complete noob when buying it, I opted for the triple chainring configuration, which I now realise was a mistake. Its next to impossible to properly index the gears / get the front derailleur working in harmony without having excess noise. If a good setup is achieved, its usually back to its old ways after a spin or two, suggesting that its probably at the end of its life anyway.

i cant afford a new bike, so I'm wondering how much of a job it is to get the bike changed to a twin setup up front. The current groupset is just labelled as 'shimano triple', with no markings like sora, deore or any of that.

Chain reaction have this
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-groupset/rp-prod138440

which I think might fit the bill, and I can just about stretch to the cost of, but I have no idea if its compatible or not, or even if this is an option.

Any help greatly appreciated.

If the indexing isn't holding, it may be the cables. I don't know that for sure but 5 year old cables thst have had their tension constantly adjusting maybe the 'spring' is gone from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The chain (and possible the cassette) are possibly worn out. Has the bike been serviced regularly? Have the cables ever been changed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I don't know that for sure but 5 year old cables thst have had their tension constantly adjusting maybe the 'spring' is gone from them?
    other way around more likely - that spring has appeared in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The chain (and possible the cassette) are possibly worn out. Has the bike been serviced regularly? Have the cables ever been changed?

Cables have never been changed but the bike has always been well looked after. Tbh, I'm also pretty tired of the triple setup too, and would rather move to the 2x as the range of gearing doesnt really suit me. I initially thought I'd need it being a novice but I've (somewhat) improved beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cables have never been changed but the bike has always been well looked after. Tbh, I'm also pretty tired of the triple setup too, and would rather move to the 2x as the range of gearing doesnt really suit me. I initially thought I'd need it being a novice but I've (somewhat) improved beyond it.

I had a triple for years, raced and done Audaxes on it, you shouldn't have the issues you are describing if all is in order. Its sounds like you need a service and thats about it, if the gearing on a triple doesn't suit you, then a double won't do much to improve that.

That said, if your just simply looking to upgrade, Get it serviced, cables changed and wait another month or two with saving and get 11 speed 105 for 450.

Is everything else in good order, when have you last changed a chain, cassette etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had a triple for years, raced and done Audaxes on it, you shouldn't have the issues you are describing if all is in order. Its sounds like you need a service and thats about it, if the gearing on a triple doesn't suit you, then a double won't do much to improve that.

That said, if your just simply looking to upgrade, Get it serviced, cables changed and wait another month or two with saving and get 11 speed 105 for 450.

Is everything else in good order, when have you last changed a chain, cassette etc.?

would 'never' be an unacceptable answer :eek:

Ok, - I think my plan of attack is to take it to the LBS and ask them to give it a thorough once over, as the doubt has now been sown that what I though was acceptable maintenance is falling short.

Will report back later!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This. Chains, cables and cassettes are essentially consumables once you're cycling reasonable distances on a regular basis. Chains start to rattle and acquire some lateral movement once they stretch over time, so while they still work the shifting will be off and you'll get derailleur rub.

I did the same. That is I bought a bike with a triple, realised my mistake so i just changed the chainset to a double. Easy enough to do and if your familiar with indexing cable gears, its very doable at home. In my case, all i needed was a 5mm allen key and a philip's screwdriver.

Put up pics and we can tell you if they look worn or not.

• Advertisement

I did the same. That is I bought a bike with a triple, realised my mistake so i just changed the chainset to a double. Easy enough to do and if your familiar with indexing cable gears, its very doable at home. In my case, all i needed was a 5mm allen key and a philip's screwdriver.

Only had issues with cross chaining, it really shouldn't be an issue if set up and used properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    This. Chains, cables and cassettes are essentially consumables once you're cycling reasonable distances on a regular basis. Chains start to rattle and acquire some lateral movement once they stretch over time, so while they still work the shifting will be off and you'll get derailleur rub.
    and if the bike has a six year old chain on it, and you say 5,000km is a reasonable life for a chain, it only needs 2 or 3 km a day on average for that chain to have worn out.

Only had issues with cross chaining, it really shouldn't be an issue if set up and used properly.

Agreed. To avoid cross-chaining, I found that i was changing gear much more frequently than i liked. Regardless of the road elevation, with a triple chainset, there always seems to be a better (higher or lower) gear available, so i found i always seemed to be in the wrong gear.

I found changing to a compact chainset and a 28/11 cassette was a better option.

and if the bike has a six year old chain on it, and you say 5,000km is a reasonable life for a chain, it only needs 2 or 3 km a day on average for that chain to have worn out.
    Agreed. To avoid cross-chaining, I found that i was changing gear much more frequently than i liked. Regardless of the road elevation, with a triple chainset, there always seems to be a better (higher or lower) gear available, so i found i always seemed to be in the wrong gear.

I found changing to a compact chainset and a 28/11 cassette was a better option.
    Also if its 6 years without anything changed, it might not be far off the price of a full groupset to get everything upto scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Sounds like the *cable housings* need changed. When they get worn out and become more flexible and compressible, it directly affects the distance the cable travels, which mean your indexing is very hard to maintain.

I'd bet a good clean & lube of everything, new cables & housings, and (why not?) even a new chain & cassette, have the LBS tune it, and you'll be happy out.

Advertisement