Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway spin

Options
  • 31-07-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, we're doing a short weekend to Galway soon and have a day on the road in the local area and we're trying to organise a route in advance. I looked at the below as a possible loop, we will be on the road all day so plenty of time but does anyone know if this route is any good. Looking for a bit of scenery with plenty of decent twisties too.

An alternative is to go south which seems to have lots of options but I'm not sure which would be better for bikes and not interested in spending all our time on single track roads.

486823.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

zubair wrote: »
    Hi folks, we're doing a short weekend to Galway soon and have a day on the road in the local area and we're trying to organise a route in advance. I looked at the below as a possible loop, we will be on the road all day so plenty of time but does anyone know if this route is any good. Looking for a bit of scenery with plenty of decent twisties too.

An alternative is to go south which seems to have lots of options but I'm not sure which would be better for bikes and not interested in spending all our time on single track roads.

486823.PNG

Was there a few weeks ago in a car. Plenty of twisty roads and lots of scenery.

Would recommend going between the lakes on the way though ie maam cross etc. Amazing scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

I'm not sure if Castlebar is a must for you, if so you can disregard this. In my opinion, Maam valley and the gap between the Lough Corrib and Lough Mask shouldn't be missed, spacious twisty roads with amazing scenary. The route from Castlebar back to Galway is pretty standard rural N roads with not much out of the ordinary. With the route below you'll only be doubling back on yourself for a kilometer from Aasleagh Falls to Leenaun. Also I'd take a left on the way to Louisburgh to take the scenic coastal route. Let me know if you have any other questions.

*Edit* Just realised I left out Sky Road on my screenshot below, don't skip that! Also if you're passing at lower half of the tide you should make time to make the crossing out to Omey Island over the sandbar (beside Claddaghduff on the map below)

AFyblNz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

^^
    You want to try include Cornamona/Clunbor bit from the above it's very good.

I'd reccomend keeping Roundstone in it, there's a place near it called Dogs Bay and it looks awesome.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dog's+Bay/@53.4159786,-10.007443,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf83845d4cdaf160d!8m2!3d53.3788532!4d-9.9617946

^^
    You want to try include Cornamona/Clunbor bit from the above it's very good.

I'd reccomend keeping Roundstone in it, there's a place near it called Dogs Bay and it looks awesome.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dog's+Bay/@53.4159786,-10.007443,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf83845d4cdaf160d!8m2!3d53.3788532!4d-9.9617946

I agree, I accidentally left out Roundstone as well, I threw together the route quickly focusing on the different route after Westport, I'd keep everything fairly the same as your original route, except going through Roonagh near Louisburgh and then the way back through Maam-Clonbur-Cong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This is brilliant lads, really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I actually can't add anything that hasn't already been said! Thats a hell of a route and if you get a dry day it'll be hard to beat. Watch for dopey tourists in rental cars on all roads in Connemara!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Been around the Maam Cross a few times, its like the land that time forget. Really surreal and untouched beauty....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Just back from a lap of Connemara and I have to recommend the Sheaffrey pass from Delphi to Aghagower. Head to Tourmakeady and down toward Finny and on to Leenane if you want a proper scenic loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Including Maam Cross -Lough Inagh - Leenane (second map ) is well worth it. Love that route. And Delphi - Louisb. too
    Pity to see Roundstone cut. That's very scenic but I suppose Kilkieran is too.

Could you exclude Spiddall-Galway-Headford. Tedious. Go around by Cong instead. Even if it meant retracing a section of the route.
    Rendezvouz out of town. Oughterard? Gets the ride off to to a good start.
    I'm going to check-out the other suggestions I'm not familiar with. Thanks. Safe riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Heading to Galway today and there's a yellow rain warning, standard.

Thanks again for all your help folks. Will let you know how we get on.

• Advertisement

If you're around til Sunday there's Galway Auto Meet on Sunday morning on the east side of the city, usually a great selection of cars on show

https://www.facebook.com/galwayautomeet/

Advertisement