Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good spots in or near the city to practice driving?

Options
  • 31-07-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all.

Just wondering if people have any suggestions or ideas for places in/near the Cork City area to practice driving? Tried a few places over the last few days that turned out to be a bit too busy for someone practicing the absolute basics of driving, or places that were closed up entirely after the 6 o' clock mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaveyToons

I found Eastgate Business Park in Little Island great as it is quiet in the evenings and has all that you could look for when practising including roundabouts and junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Patrick Street between 3-6.30 pm any weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Blarney Business Park used to be the go-to place to practice but since they started building there again recently they've put up signs to outlaw it. :(

South Link Business Park has a few decent places to practice. Any of the areas off Airport Road are good, particularly this one.

1.png

Really wide at the end so it's good for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darash

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Hi all.

Just wondering if people have any suggestions or ideas for places in/near the Cork City area to practice driving? Tried a few places over the last few days that turned out to be a bit too busy for someone practicing the absolute basics of driving, or places that were closed up entirely after the 6 o' clock mark.

East Gate is brilliant, has lots of junctions & roundabouts, but it's busy with learners. My lads did basic/start at Lakewood, Ballincollig. Car park at Curraheen Track was another place we used for reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

darash wrote: »
    East Gate is brilliant, has lots of junctions & roundabouts, but it's busy with learners. My lads did basic/start at Lakewood, Ballincollig. Car park at Curraheen Track was another place we used for reversing.

That location occurred to me too but I wasn't sure about access. Where the motorbike training takes place?
    You might find a few traffic cones on site you can make use of. I (unexpectedly) found it useful to get the learner to drive/reverse up to the cone. Simple task.
    What side of the city are you OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Cheers for the suggestions everybody! Wouldn't have even thought of some of them myself.
    What side of the city are you OP?

Beaumont, near Blackrock/Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darash

That location occurred to me too but I wasn't sure about access. Where the motorbike training takes place?
    You might find a few traffic cones on site you can make use of. I (unexpectedly) found it useful to get the learner to drive/reverse up to the cone. Simple task.
    What side of the city are you OP?[/quote

Yes, in the main car park. Was never sure if we were supposed to be there but we only used it for parking/reversing. East gate is def the best place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Another vote for eastgate Little island. Left and right turns, roundabouts, speedbumps and quiet after work hours. Always see learner drivers down that way.

Eastgate sounds ideal but ..
    The car park section in front of B&Q, Mahon. Late night only, bit cramped, but local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Eastgate sounds ideal but ..
    The car park section in front of B&Q, Mahon. Late night only, bit cramped, but local.

But Local? LOL! Mahon is literally around the corner from Eastgate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

okedoke wrote: »
    Patrick Street between 3-6.30 pm any weekday.

Not a good idea given the volume of private cars driving through Patrick Street during those hours.

But Local? LOL! Mahon is literally around the corner from Eastgate.

Eastgate - over by Keary's? Not what I'd call local to Mahon.

Advertisement