Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annulment query

Options
  • 31-07-2019 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello,
    I recently found out that my wife began an affair before we got married. She told that person that she wanted to be with him and not me, however, she went through with the marriage to me. I had no idea about this affair until recently.

Have I any grounds for getting the marriage annulled because the affair was happening before we got married?

Thanks

Comments

Hello,
    I recently found out that my wife began an affair before we got married. She told that person that she wanted to be with him and not me, however, she went through with the marriage to me. I had no idea about this affair until recently.

Have I any grounds for getting the marriage annulled because the affair was happening before we got married?

Thanks

Basics. Consummated, kids, length of time of marriage?

Sorry to hear.

If an annulment isn't forthcoming at least you have the civil options.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Is it a church or civil annulment that you're asking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnny Wilcox

Married 7 years and have a 6 year old child.
    I am currently pursuing the legally separation route, however, wanted to know if annulment was an option.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Church annulment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Church annulment.

An affair at the time of the marriage is one of the new grounds for annulment in the Catholic Church I think:

https://www.thejournal.ie/annulment-church-state-2320362-Sep2015/

As it's a religious question, would your parish priest be your best point of contact for this?

• Advertisement

Married 7 years and have a 6 year old child.

I would have thought not. But, if annulled, the child would be considered born out of wedlock.

I mention this because an annulment would seem only important to a religious person, and I don't see that compatible with making the child unrecognised under the church.

However the civil options are available.

I would have thought not. But, if annulled, the child would be considered born out of wedlock.

I mention this because an annulment would seem only important to a religious person, and I don't see that compatible with making the child unrecognised under the church.

However the civil options are available.

I had not thought about that. Joint custody of my child is more important to me than anything else.

Thanks Chinese whospers, I will not pursue the annulment.

Thank you all for your replies.

Joint custody of my child is more important to me than anything else.

Custody would be a legal matter and a church annulment wouldn't affect that.

Probably best to talk to a solicitor. Good luck.

Advertisement