Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravediggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d imagine it’s locals complaining. Only there a couple of times but it’s glorious on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s locals complaining. Only there a couple of times but it’s glorious on a sunny day.

I've always enjoyed it anytime I've been there, it's a great atmosphere when people are out on the green. The kind of crowd that go there are very laid back and I've never seen or heard of anything anti-social. Maybe it's residents trying to get kids to sleep or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

Noel Rock is some dope
    "On some of the few nice days we get in the summer, it’s always nice to buy a red lemonade or whatever and sit outside on the grass,â€Â 

tjc28 wrote: »
    Noel Rock is some dope
    "On some of the few nice days we get in the summer, it’s always nice to buy a red lemonade or whatever and sit outside on the grass,†

I know, some kind of weird 1950's piety, he's always really aggressive in defending the government on tv. It's prob their inability to reign in the insurance companies that's caused this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed it anytime I've been there, it's a great atmosphere when people are out on the green. The kind of crowd that go there are very laid back and I've never seen or heard of anything anti-social. Maybe it's residents trying to get kids to sleep or something?

Have had many a pint on the green outside and similarly never saw any antisocial behaviour or even elevated noise levels really. I think this is a massive shame I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wonder is insurance an issue aswell

neris wrote: »
    Wonder is insurance an issue aswell

Article suggests not. It says the Garda told them. I would think it breaches their license and after some complaints the Garda have to do something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They probably don't have a licence for outdoor drinking area. I was amused at Noel Rock's 'red lemonade' comment :D

salmocab wrote: »
    Article suggests not. It says the Garda told them. I would think it breaches their license and after some complaints the Garda have to do something.

For the amount of days a year that people would usually drink on the green it seems very petty for somebody to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

I heard from a reliable source (the barman) that it was one neighbour who complained. She also complained about the derelict houses beside the pub. They are now getting a lick of paint as a result.

You can still drink on the pavement outside the pub. When the sun is shining it just makes the pavement way more crowded than before.

I never drank on the green cause I hate my guinness in a plastic glass but I loved the atmosphere outside and there was never a spot of bother and the noise levels were minimal.

• Advertisement

millie35 wrote: »
    I heard from a reliable source (the barman) that it was one neighbour who complained. She also complained about the derelict houses beside the pub. They are now getting a lick of paint as a result.

You can still drink on the pavement outside the pub. When the sun is shining it just makes the pavement way more crowded than before.

I never drank on the green cause I hate my guinness in a plastic glass but I loved the atmosphere outside and there was never a spot of bother and the noise levels were minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Square Hammer

The owners policed this arrangement extremely successfully and always showed respect for the surrounding area.People on the grass knew that any bs would see them being asked to leave.Pub will no doubt suffer a serious drop in revenues. It seems ludicrous that a single resident can spoil what is a unique experience in the city that was only ever busy on the best of days.The derelict buildings in this case actually also add to the character of the area and are completely camouflaged.There are clearly some seriously mean spirited people out there.I would guess that most residents are actually gutted by this.Anybody who moved into that square would have known there was a pub there.Hopefully this is not the end

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Great spot for a pint. I'd say the noise during the day is one thing but the noise into the evening and late at night must be a nightmare.

As for the house next door (no. 3) it's on Dublin City Council's 2018 Derelict Sites Report along with no. 4. There was a big push last year to get all derelict sites within Dublin city registered. So it's the council getting to make the improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Is that correct yeah? If so great

The owners policed this arrangement extremely successfully and always showed respect for the surrounding area.People on the grass knew that any bs would see them being asked to leave.Pub will no doubt suffer a serious drop in revenues. It seems ludicrous that a single resident can spoil what is a unique experience in the city that was only ever busy on the best of days.The derelict buildings in this case actually also add to the character of the area and are completely camouflaged.There are clearly some seriously mean spirited people out there.I would guess that most residents are actually gutted by this.Anybody who moved into that square would have known there was a pub there.Hopefully this is not the end

Might not be a new resident, could be somebody who's just getting too old for the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Or could be just someone who objected to red lemonade drinkers.....

ongarboy wrote: »
    Or could be just someone who objected to red lemonade drinkers.....

Too much sugar and they get rowdy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's the most overrated pub in Dublin

**runs and hides**

**runs and hides**

You could have just not gone, you didn’t have to complain to the Garda about it. Monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Seanachai wrote: »
    Might not be a new resident, could be somebody who's just getting too old for the noise.

As far as I'm aware it's a relatively new resident (the last year or so) to the square that has been complaining about it since buying and moving in.

And I understand that it's okay to be on the pavement with a pint but not out on the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Garda need to seriously cop on here. Never one once of trouble on that green just decent people having a drink and a laugh. Their time would be better spent sweeping up all the homeless (junkies) that have now descended on the area and are begging and harassing people outside every shop in the Drumcondra /Glasnevin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Square Hammer

the noise from people on the green is minimal.also the pub owners never allow people out there after a certain time.on good days there are also families and children playing on the green. I truly dont understand how somebody moving into the square would not realise that this has been going on for years.for most people it would actually be a plus.I cannot emphasise how decent the owners of pub are.their reaction to this illustrates this fact completely.this is not a pub with music or tvs pushing hammered gob****es out onto the streets.they dont even accept credit cards.dont think they would have accepted people on green themselves if thry thought there was any form of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The by-laws of Dublin need to be changed such that merely consuming alcohol in public isn't prohibited, only being drunk and disorderly. The all-out prohibition is incredibly draconian. In fairness to the Gardaí, they tend not to be at all heavy handed about enforcing it unless one of Dublin's councils starts making noise about the lack of enforcement, so the Gardaí definitely aren't the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a pity, going to the Gravediggers and enjoying a pint outdoors has been a tradition for decades but again it’s only permitted earlier in the day and evening. They only permit plastic pint glasses outside and DO police this. It’s game over if you disregard the rule of transfers to plastic. It has always attracted a nice kind of punter. You’d have to wonder what kick started this. A new neighbor perhaps or indeed an older one just acting the curmudgeon over some punter being a bit of a dîck on their way home that upset them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the noise from people on the green is minimal.also the pub owners never allow people out there after a certain time.on good days there are also families and children playing on the green. I truly dont understand how somebody moving into the square would not realise that this has been going on for years.for most people it would actually be a plus. I cannot emphasise how decent the owners of pub are.their reaction to this illustrates this fact completely.this is not a pub with music or tvs pushing hammered gob****es out onto the streets.they dont even accept credit cards.dont think they would have accepted people on green themselves if thry thought there was any form of trouble

Agree 1000%. The Kavanagh family are beyond decent. You walk into that pub and the only thing nicer than the pint is the genuine welcome, friendliness and service you will get from Ciaran, Niall and all the family and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Heard a bit more last night on this. Apparently a neighbour approached the pub about late night noise from customers drinking outside and not being cleared from the front of the premises after closing a good few times in the last year. It seems the pub refused to do anything about the resident's concerns so the gardai were contacted. Could be there's a compromise to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

No doubt some of the neighbours have sat on the green and enjoyed a beverage from the pub. Typical of the current world we live in, minor issues over policed as a result of reporting from zealous do gooders.

**runs and hides**

jWPhv9g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I know that voices can travel and people with a few drinks raise their voice but for the few Summer evenings we have there should be compromise. I would think that most of the customers are regulars and would agree to wrap up the outside drinking say at 10 pm latest.
    The problem for Kavanaghs and the Gardai is that if the Gardai didnt act the whinger would lodge an objection at licence renewal time and probably lodge a complain with GSOC about the Garda fail to act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

tjc28 wrote: »
    Noel Rock is some dope
    "On some of the few nice days we get in the summer, it’s always nice to buy a red lemonade or whatever and sit outside on the grass,â€Â 
    If it was his constituent complaining he would have ten letters written now comparing the area to Syria. He is a legislator, do something to regularise times and locations for outdoor consumption of alcohol. Gob****e

Advertisement